Key.jpg
Help us keep our maps up to date:
viewtopic.php?f=12&t=158

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Current & Proposed Downtown Minneapolis Projects

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 8th, 2012, 3:02 pm

Some additional projects that I don't see on the map:

-ArtSpace HQ (Mills District near Gold Medal Park)
-Gold Medal Plaza Office Building (http://millcitytimes.com/news/gold-meda ... trict.html)
-The Former "Reserve" site in North Loop
-Peavy Plaza (or is this part of "Orchestra Hall"?)
-115 5th St NE (http://www.downtownjournal.com/index.ph ... ategory=92)
-National Marrow Donor HQ bldg (no info found)
-The Holden Building Redevelopment - North Loop (http://www.thelinemedia.com/devnews/gre ... 42011.aspx)
-Pence Building (http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... ng-up.html)
-Junction Flats (http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/p ... ng-up.html)

....That's all I can think of right now.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 9th, 2012, 10:10 am

I am eager to learn more about Gold Medal Plaza....if anyone has any updates on that potential project? The idea of a glass, transparent office building along Gold Medal Park near the Guthrie just sounds so cool to me, and with all of the medical-related facilities in that area (not too far from HCMC) I could see some medical office spec demand around there!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 9th, 2012, 11:07 am

I think the Holden Building is the same as the Copham Apartments?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 18th, 2012, 6:49 pm

There's at least one or two projects missing for Uptown:

2900 Lyndale Ave (6 floors originally....we'll see what happens after they re-sketch the project to minimize shadowing on the Greenway)
-Bunde Building (can't remember the exact name, but the old building right next to Rainbow Foods, which may also become a prime spot for redevelopment sometime soon)
-Mosaic Phase II (doesn't have to be added as it's not proposed just yet, but once Mosaic I is 80%-85% leased you should start hearing about Phase II)

I'll write more if I can come up with it later...

GREAT job updating the map to show ALL projects of substance in Minneapolis & St. Paul!

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 18th, 2012, 9:47 pm

Buzza, not Bunde... Now rebranded as Buzza Lofts of Uptown, 1006 W. Lake Street.
http://www.buzzaloftsofuptown.com/
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 19th, 2012, 6:50 am

Buzza, not Bunde... Now rebranded as Buzza Lofts of Uptown, 1006 W. Lake Street.
http://www.buzzaloftsofuptown.com/
Check out the prices in that place! $903 a month for a one bedroom? That's crazy for basically new construction in Uptown.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 19th, 2012, 8:20 am

There's at least one or two projects missing for Uptown:

2900 Lyndale Ave (6 floors originally....we'll see what happens after they re-sketch the project to minimize shadowing on the Greenway)
-Bunde Building (can't remember the exact name, but the old building right next to Rainbow Foods, which may also become a prime spot for redevelopment sometime soon)
-Mosaic Phase II (doesn't have to be added as it's not proposed just yet, but once Mosaic I is 80%-85% leased you should start hearing about Phase II)

I'll write more if I can come up with it later...

GREAT job updating the map to show ALL projects of substance in Minneapolis & St. Paul!
A couple more:

-Dwell (6 story apartments by Village Green where their current Village Green Apartments lie on the West end of Lake Calhoun, behind Whole Foods)
-Spirit on Lake (a 4-story, 46-unit co-op complex for GLBT seniors -- quite the niche! It's proposed on EAST Lake St. & 13th Ave as part of some revision of "Urban Renewal" :? ) http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/www/gro ... 090178.pdf

The rendering for Spirit on Lake is, frankly, awesome! Wish I knew how to post it! It's on page 14.

I also thought there was another (smaller) Cedar Riverside area building either proposed or being constructed....likely by the same developer who did the CR renovations (Shamrock?).
Last edited by min-chi-cbus on July 19th, 2012, 8:42 am, edited 7 times in total.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 19th, 2012, 11:22 am

I hope to be able to summarize all of the projects going on in Minneapolis (and maybe St. Paul too). I've already started a little and can provide the following information:

*Edit*

Northeast (West of I-35W, North of the Mississippi River):
-5 projects (1 was cancelled -- 115 5th St)
-730 to 920 units (the latter is if Phase II of Mill & Main comes to fruition)
-Buildings of 10, 10, 7, 7, and 6 floors may be added, plus 2 renovations

Downtown - North Loop:
-9 projects
-1,344 units
-Buildings of 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 4, and ?? (for Junction Flats) floors may be added, plus 1 reno

Downtown - CBD:
-8 projects
-1,314 units
-Buildings of 36, 27, 9, 9, and 7 floors may be added, plus 3 renovations

Downtown - Mills District:
-4 projects
-330 units
-Buildings of 11, 8, 6, and 5 floors may be added (one is a potential office building up to 150K SF)

U of M (Minneapolis & St. Paul):
-14 projects
-2,434 units
-Buildings of 11, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 and ?? (Fountain Residential) floors may be added

Uptown (N/I West Calhoun or East of Lyndale Ave):
-12 projects
-1,466 units
-Buildings of 10, 10, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 4, 4, 4, 3 and ?? (2900 LynLake II) floors may be added

The projects I included are Office and Residential only, and only those displayed on Shawn's map. I still have to add:

-Hiawatha
-Other

So far, between 7,640 and 7,830 units and 61 structures that will be potentially renovated or built are in the pipeline, with more to come!
Last edited by min-chi-cbus on July 19th, 2012, 3:59 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » July 19th, 2012, 4:40 pm

Hi guys,
I've been incredibly busy and haven't gotten around to adding many sites to the calendar. If anyone is able to help out I would appreciate it! Otherwise I'll slowly work through all the additions/updates for the map. min-chi-cbus - thanks for the list!

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 20th, 2012, 8:13 am

Projects Summary

This is based on the map Shawn has been updating, with a few small exceptions, and includes Residential and Office only, and only those projects that we track on the map or on urbanmsp.com.

Northeast (West of I-35W, North of the Mississippi River):
--5 projects (1 was cancelled -- 115 5th St)
--730 to 920 units (the latter is if Phase II of Mill & Main comes to fruition)
--Buildings of 10, 10, 7, 7, and 6 floors may be added, plus 2 renovations

Downtown - North Loop:
--9 projects
--1,414 units
--Buildings of 7, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 4, and ?? (for Junction Flats and Brunsfield) floors may be added, plus 1 reno

Downtown - CBD:
--8 projects
--1,314 units
--Buildings of 36, 27, 9, 9, and 7 floors may be added, plus 3 renovations

Downtown - Mills District:
--4 projects
--330 units
--Buildings of 11, 8, 6, and 5 floors may be added (one is a potential office building up to 150K SF)

U of M (Minneapolis & St. Paul):
--14 projects
--2,221 units
--Buildings of 11, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 5, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, 4 and ?? (Fountain Residential) floors may be added

Uptown (N/I West Calhoun or East of Lyndale Ave):
--13 projects
--1,589 units
--Buildings of 10, 10, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 4, 4, 4, 3 and ?? (2900 LynLake II) floors may be added, plus a renovation

Hiawatha Corridor (Franklin Ave to MOA):
--5 projects
--624 to 694 units (depending on the Seward Redesign project implementation)
--Buildings of 6, 6, 5, 4, 4, 4, 4, and 3 floors may be added (the ones in red are later phases of Seward Redesign)

Other (Outside the main zones/corridors):
--3 projects
--251 units
--Buildings of 6, 4, and 3 floors may be added

St. Paul:
--19 projects
--2,266+ units (don't know the # of units for the La Quinta Asstd. Living project)
--Buildings massing unknown

So far, between 8,522 and 8,762 units and ~80 structures in Minneapolis, and 2,266 more units in St. Paul (or between 10,761 and 11,001 total units in MSP) that will be potentially renovated or built are in the pipeline as of July 20, 2012 (and a few were very recently completed).

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » July 20th, 2012, 1:00 pm

So far, between 8,522 and 8,762 units and ~80 structures in Minneapolis, and 2,266 more units in St. Paul (or between 10,761 and 11,001 total units in MSP) that will be potentially renovated or built are in the pipeline as of July 20, 2012 (and a few were very recently completed).
Putting those numbers aside for a moment, lets keep in mind many of these projects have been in the pipeline for years. I am glad to see the market and the government getting these projects finally underway. But for a lot of them its taken painfully long to see them finally starting.

Avian
Union Depot

Downtown Minneapolis - General Topics

Postby Avian » August 9th, 2012, 9:31 pm

I thought I'd put this out there as a thread dedicated to the specific issues of the problems and potential solutions to creating a 'Minneapolis of the Future.'

How can we make-remake Minneapolis as a city that truly matters on the world stage? This is different from the "Fantasies' thread in the sense that maybe we can actively examine real-world solutions to existing problems...

It's meant to challenge the existing laws and preconceived notions about how we 'plan' our cities.

For example, imagine that you are addressing the Minneapolis City Council with your concerns some years from now. What are your suggestions?

That said, I'll throw this one out.....

Because so many are concerned about the development of Downtown East (DTE), what might happen if Minneapolis establishes an experimental zone in DTE surrounding the Metrodome that adopts the "Vancouver miracle" and basically does away with F.A.R.'s, provided that developers create a market-rate street-level retail zone?

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Re: Minneapolis Urban Planning

Postby ECtransplant » August 9th, 2012, 10:53 pm

Not exactly new ideas, but . . . get rid of minimum parking requirements city-wide. Encourage infill on the 140+ surface lots through the tax structure. Simple, doable, would create a lot of good.

Also LRT from the airport to downtown St. Paul would really link-up the three main nodes of import for world-stage-ness.

tabletop
Nicollet Mall

Postby tabletop » August 10th, 2012, 5:00 am

It would be nice to tackle the sprawl in Twin Cities and one way to do it would be with the creation of a developmental boundary through the Metro Council. Not exactly sure how you would draw those lines being it would be political suicide, but it could be interesting to follow the example Portland set when they did something similar. As a part of that, the cities or counties would be wise to buy up all the vacant houses and land left over from the recession and invest in either new parks, prairie or farmland reclamation. This would help to scale back the bloated infrastructure cities and counties are forced to maintain and create a higher more equitable standard of living in the burbs while creating a natural buffer between the edge cities and the urban core. Besides, I think its self righteous of us to keep paving over some of the most fertile soil in the world so we can drive our car to the supermarket to buy strawberries grown in California when they could just as easily been grown in the parking lot of that Whole Foods!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 10th, 2012, 6:45 am

It would be nice to tackle the sprawl in Twin Cities and one way to do it would be with the creation of a developmental boundary through the Metro Council. Not exactly sure how you would draw those lines being it would be political suicide, but it could be interesting to follow the example Portland set when they did something similar. As a part of that, the cities or counties would be wise to buy up all the vacant houses and land left over from the recession and invest in either new parks, prairie or farmland reclamation. This would help to scale back the bloated infrastructure cities and counties are forced to maintain and create a higher more equitable standard of living in the burbs while creating a natural buffer between the edge cities and the urban core. Besides, I think its self righteous of us to keep paving over some of the most fertile soil in the world so we can drive our car to the supermarket to buy strawberries grown in California when they could just as easily been grown in the parking lot of that Whole Foods!
We actually have one already, the MUSA line, but it's pretty much continuously expanded without much thought about curtailing sprawl. For that would be soshulizm.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 10th, 2012, 7:56 am

I always figured DTE would be different than DTW because the future, hypothetical offices developed there would be more scaled back, have more green and open space, and be less congested than DTW. I was thinking a West Coast city like Portland-style development, unlike DTW, which is so crammed it could be comparable to Pittsburgh, Chicago or even Manhattan (buildings slammed next to eachother).

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 10th, 2012, 7:59 am

We actually have one already, the MUSA line, but it's pretty much continuously expanded without much thought about curtailing sprawl. For that would be soshulizm.
Forget a boundary, just built a ring of parks around the metro that will act like a barrier. The problem is there are no natural barriers to sprawl around here and people could always leapfrog anything we put up. I think the best way to incentivize people to live in the city is, honestly, raising utility taxes such as electric, water, nat. gas, gasoline (for cars), etc, and use those taxes to incentivize developers to build more sustainable projects with better materials (in the city OR the suburbs -- you can build sustainable suburbs too).

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 10th, 2012, 8:31 am

Maybe in 50+ years with fewer cars, we could see a redevelopment of garage/alley footprints for residential uses. THAT would be cool!

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » August 10th, 2012, 9:52 am

Maybe in 50+ years with fewer cars, we could see a redevelopment of garage/alley footprints for residential uses. THAT would be cool!
I like this idea. They have done something similar in st paul with some older carriage houses rehabbed and street signs on the alley. Over by Summit somewhere