Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
spectre000
Landmark Center

Nic on Fifth - (290' - 26 Stories)

Postby spectre000 » June 11th, 2012, 1:20 pm

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/158462805.html

Mpls. apartment boom underway
Posted by: Eric Roper Updated: June 11, 2012

"...Opus Development says construction is expected to begin in October, and finish in mid-2014..."

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Nicollet Residences

Postby Nick » June 11th, 2012, 1:35 pm

I'd heard that this is going through some design changes, which is why they may be starting later than planned.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » June 11th, 2012, 1:40 pm

I am going to be elated when this breaks ground!

Edit: Wait. Design changes? Any word or rumors about what those might be?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 11th, 2012, 1:46 pm

I'm not sure that just because the Strib has posted expected start/completion dates that these things will all get built, but it sure doesn't hurt either. I'd like to hear something directly from the developers of LaSalle and Nicollet before I exhale.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 11th, 2012, 1:52 pm

I'm not sure that just because the Strib has posted expected start/completion dates that these things will all get built, but it sure doesn't hurt either. I'd like to hear something directly from the developers of LaSalle and Nicollet before I exhale.
Well I'm sure the Star Trib didn't just pull this information out of thin air. The quote re: 1368 is coming from Magellan. I never put too much stock in what developers say anyways. They always give the most optimistic quotes possible. I'm just happy to hear some official news. Whether these towers break ground later this summer or October, time will tell. But at least now we have some new information.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 11th, 2012, 11:11 pm

the updated information from the Tribune is exciting! My favorite aspect about the Nicollet tower is how "large and fat" the bottom of the building is and how it sits so close to the station with doors for residents! This tower will be the 1st "true urban living building" on Nicollet Mall and on a LRT station! I do hope they don't change much because once I finish college and get a good job there is a good chance I will be seeking to live here! :mrgreen:

I would be surprised if this project doesn't get built only because IMO this site is the best location in all of Minneapolis and even the state for urban living! on intersection where the Blue line & Green line connect and the future Nicollet/Central Street car line will intersect as well! Plus it will be connected via skyway to rest of downtown! it's the holy grail of projects in Minneapolis! :lol: major game changer! can't wait for the ground breaking!!! :mrgreen:

dumberGuy

Postby dumberGuy » June 11th, 2012, 11:17 pm

My guess is that the next five years of Nic Res will be a lot like the last five years, which is to say: parking lot.

Same goes for 1368 LaSalle. That's another parking lot-for-life if I ever saw one.

mpls_tc
Block E

Postby mpls_tc » June 11th, 2012, 11:22 pm

Your guess is wrong according to this article from the Startribune.. http://www.startribune.com/local/158462805.html

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » June 12th, 2012, 12:20 pm

My guess is that the next five years of Nic Res will be a lot like the last five years, which is to say: parking lot.

Same goes for 1368 LaSalle. That's another parking lot-for-life if I ever saw one.
:roll: It's so easy for many Minnesotans to be negative. Is it possible that living through the cold, winter months (even for one year) can hinder one's ability to ever be happy / positive again?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2012, 6:32 am

Well this Minnesotan has made it thru many winters. This past one I log more walking miles thru the winter than all the winters before. You just need not be a wimp about it and YES a positive attitude helps.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » June 13th, 2012, 11:00 am

the updated information from the Tribune is exciting! My favorite aspect about the Nicollet tower is how "large and fat" the bottom of the building is and how it sits so close to the station with doors for residents! This tower will be the 1st "true urban living building" on Nicollet Mall and on a LRT station! I do hope they don't change much because once I finish college and get a good job there is a good chance I will be seeking to live here! :mrgreen:

I would be surprised if this project doesn't get built only because IMO this site is the best location in all of Minneapolis and even the state for urban living! on intersection where the Blue line & Green line connect and the future Nicollet/Central Street car line will intersect as well! Plus it will be connected via skyway to rest of downtown! it's the holy grail of projects in Minneapolis! :lol: major game changer! can't wait for the ground breaking!!! :mrgreen:
Yes, this building has location, location , location. It is an ideal site for urban living. It will attract people who travel for work or leisure given its amazing location on the LRT. I think it will be hugely succesful. And, although 1368 may be a sexier building in some ways, this building was very well designed for the site ( if not better than 1368 LaSalle). I especially like the vertical grouping of windows at the corner of 5th and Nicollet and how that carries your eye upward to the cantilevered crown. The architects took great care to make this building fit wonderfully into the context of its site.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 13th, 2012, 11:16 am

Yes, this building has location, location , location. It is an ideal site for urban living. It will attract people who travel for work or leisure given its amazing location on the LRT. I think it will be hugely succesful. And, although 1368 may be a sexier building in some ways, this building was very well designed for the site ( if not better than 1368 LaSalle). I especially like the vertical grouping of windows at the corner of 5th and Nicollet and how that carries your eye upward to the cantilevered crown. The architects took great care to make this building fit wonderfully into the context of its site.
oddly I know exactly what you mean! 1368 will be easily in my top 5 prettiest buildings (1&2 are Capella and Wells Fargo buildings and 3 will be 1368 I think...) 455 Nicollet was designed perfectly for the site! I do agree with the grouping of windows I didn't realize that they really do draw your eyes upward! such detail! I love the columns too, however it does make me wish the station was a divided station instead of a center station.

Also why can't they make it "both" couldn't they bring the other side right up to the doors so you could enter on both sides or the tracks for the North side of the station only given the south has a road lane. Of course it may not get to much usage but I think it would looks so much better

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2012, 5:02 pm

I really don't think the building would want to have people hangin out in it's lobby on a cold day or in the AC. There are enough percieved problems with the bus stops as it is.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » June 19th, 2012, 3:20 pm

"The Nicollet has been scaled back to 250-units and 27-stories (taking out six floors), although the apartments will still have all the amenities and luxury aspects called for with the original design.

"Opus is in "in the final stages" of securing its financing and scheduled to start construction in November, Menke said.
-- The Business Journal

minntransplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby minntransplant » June 19th, 2012, 4:01 pm

I'll take slicing off 6 floors over not building at all. 27 stories will still make a nice impact on the skyline.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 19th, 2012, 4:14 pm

With this on the SW corner of the block and the new Xcel midrise on the NW corner of the block, maybe that leaves room for Opus to eventually snag the surface lot on the NE corner and build another tower there

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 19th, 2012, 4:58 pm

I'll take slicing off 6 floors over not building at all. 27 stories will still make a nice impact on the skyline.
Agreed. Plus, in the end it comes down to height. Yes, number of floors is a function of that, but this could still be 400 feet despite being 27 stories.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » June 19th, 2012, 5:10 pm

The xcel building will be on the southeast corner.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 19th, 2012, 5:11 pm

Agreed. Plus, in the end it comes down to height. Yes, number of floors is a function of that, but this could still be 400 feet despite being 27 stories.
I figure it'll be 307 feet. The original design was 365 feet. The apartment floors are 9' 8" in height. So that should lower it to around 307.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 19th, 2012, 5:58 pm

Well that's disappointing. It certainly is hard to get a decent looking residential high rise built around here. The Carlyle is pretty nice, and the Phoenix (though not that tall), but the other recent ones are pretty blah. Also, interesting that they plan on starting construction on the office building around the same time that their apartment building would be opening. Hmm. Anyway...I just hope the block gets built out nicely, and that there are no more delays! This construction may be too late to help persuade Neiman Marcus into a new lease(theirs is up at the beginning of next year)...I just don't see them sticking around. Anyway, enough negativity! haha