Lafayette Bridge

State and Metro Transportation

Lafayette Bridge

Postby ad hoc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:59 am

I didn't see a post for this project, so now we have one.
ad hoc
The Carlyle

Re: Lafayette Bridge

Postby ad hoc » Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:02 pm

ad hoc
The Carlyle

Postby MNdible » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:17 pm

We've definitely discussed the Lafayette Bridge somewhere, fairly extensively, but I'll be damned if I can find it.
MNdible
Capella Tower

Postby ad hoc » Fri Sep 09, 2011 12:34 pm

FYI, here's the updated link:
http://www.dot.state.mn.us/lafayettebridge/
ad hoc
The Carlyle

Postby ad hoc » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:01 am

Making good progress...

April 5 Project Update
The north and south abutments and all thirteen new piers for the new northbound bridge are completed

Retaining wall construction continues on the north side of the river. The retaining walls on the south side of the river are finished. Painting of these walls will begin later this year.

Northbound Hwy 52 is paved between Plato Boulevard and to within 400 feet of the abutment for the new northbound bridge. (The new bypass from these new lanes to the existing bridge was finished in last October.)

New ramps for the 7th Street Exit, westbound Interstate 94 and eastbound Interstate 94 will open late in 2012, with most of the concrete paving being done in 2012.

Storm water sewer work is finished on both sides of the river, except for Loop A (northbound Hwy 52 to westbound I-94) and building the south and north retention ponds.

The north end of the new exit from Hwy 52 to 7th Street is paved but will not open until summer. This exit will allows access to the parking lots for Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, the state Department of Natural Resources and Minnesota Department of Health buildings. The rest of the exit will not be completed until late in 2012.
ad hoc
The Carlyle

Postby mattaudio » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:00 am

Does most traffic heading across the bridge for downtown turn left at 7th? Or exit to 94 west then exit at 12th Street? I figured most traffic turns left at 7th. This new layout will work well at first, but in the future when the grid is built out it will require three left turns (New Kittson Street, 8th Street, Old Kittson Street then right on 7th towards downtown). Am i interpreting that correctly?

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/lafayettebri ... layout.pdf
mattaudio
Foshay Tower

Postby spectre000 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:54 am

I can't say if most downtown bound traffic uses that 7th street exit. But I sure do. This detour looks beyond stupid at first glance. I know some on the city council (Dave Thune among others) questioned the need for it as well, and were laughed at for thinking us lowly citizens wouldn't get the hang of it. It looks a bit confusing and unnecessary. It will probably add a couple minutes to getting onto 7th Street.

But I think safety was one of the reasons for it. Savoy's Restuarant has been "rammed" many times over the years. It placed barriers in front of their building some years back. With these new ramps it should stop that.
spectre000
The Carlyle

Postby spectre000 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:53 pm

Some pictures by me from today. Kinda fun to be able to walk right up to the piers while their building this.

spectre000
The Carlyle

Postby ad hoc » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:47 pm

mattaudio wrote:Does most traffic heading across the bridge for downtown turn left at 7th? Or exit to 94 west then exit at 12th Street? I figured most traffic turns left at 7th. This new layout will work well at first, but in the future when the grid is built out it will require three left turns (New Kittson Street, 8th Street, Old Kittson Street then right on 7th towards downtown). Am i interpreting that correctly?

http://www.dot.state.mn.us/lafayettebri ... layout.pdf

Bridge traffic northbound to 7th street westbound will require additional turns and distance but will have a right turn onto 7th street rather than wait for a left turn. The major benefit of that layout is to improve movement from the bridge to 94W and 35EN which is almost always a problem due to geometrics. That layout was to take advantage of a future roadway as indicated in the layout but I don't think that roadway will materialize due to reconfiguration of the railroads to improve freight and passenger movement near SPUD. That's too bad because that road would be really nice as a path of connectivity between the river and downtown away from SPUD. So I hope it does get built.
ad hoc
The Carlyle

Postby MNdible » Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:16 pm

That layout was to take advantage of a future roadway as indicated in the layout but I don't think that roadway will materialize due to reconfiguration of the railroads to improve freight and passenger movement near SPUD.

Any more information on this?
MNdible
Capella Tower

Return to Transportation