UrbanMSP/streets.mn merger

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
moda253
Nicollet Mall

Re: Updates and Changes

Postby moda253 » November 3rd, 2014, 12:01 pm

It will eventually go away as part of merging the two sites. There was kind of an ongoing issue with overlap between streets.mn posts and comment sections overlapping with largely the same people. We explored lots of technical stuff, but at the moment there's not really a great/easy way to combine WordPress and phpBB. If we get a pile of grant money next year (a hope) then that's something that will probably happen. In the meantime I changed the logo and will work on doing little things like that over the next couple weeks.

Why not pay the 12 bucks a year and keep the urbanmsp.com domain name and add a redirect?

And why not just take donations to raise the money that you need to do the work you need? Which way are you going? PHPBB to wordpress or vice versa? take the title of the blog entry and that's your subject and your starting thread for your reply posts. It's just data.

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: UrbanMSP/streets.mn merger

Postby Nick » November 5th, 2014, 6:38 pm

The thing that I have been told is that, with streets.mn's host, WP Engine, we're not able to have anything but WordPress? Is that not correct? I know almost nothing about anything.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 5th, 2014, 8:28 pm

The answer is most likely "it depends." I don't know what the tech level is of the board, and I don't deal with web apps on a day to day basis, but I am a computer guy, and I wouldn't mind talking (here or otherwise) about options going forward. But that's only I'm the smartest guy in the room on this, which isn't likely.

Based on a few minutes glance at WP Engine, you may be correct Nick, but ultimately it comes down to a question of what exactly are you trying to do (PROBLEM STATEMENT).

mulad

Postby mulad » November 6th, 2014, 8:17 am

Hmm. Rather than integrating the sites into one, maybe the forum just needs to move into the same DNS domain -- rename urbanmsp.com to forum.streets.mn. It should be possible to have the two pieces remain with different hosting providers.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 6th, 2014, 8:21 am

Hmm. Rather than integrating the sites into one, maybe the forum just needs to move into the same DNS domain -- rename urbanmsp.com to forum.streets.mn. It should be possible to have the two pieces remain with different hosting providers.
Hopefully this can happen. This may be a shocking revaltion to some, but the Street.mn comment system is useless beyond 10 comments.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 6th, 2014, 8:42 am

Changing the URL of the forums wouldn't in any way change the WordPress comment system currently in place.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 6th, 2014, 8:44 am

I don't really care what happens to Street.mn, as long as this forum stays somewhat similar I will be content.

Pip

Postby Pip » November 6th, 2014, 2:38 pm

The thing that I have been told is that, with streets.mn's host, WP Engine, we're not able to have anything but WordPress? Is that not correct? I know almost nothing about anything.
You should be able to be able to run WordPress and phpBB on the same domain unless you have a really restrictive hosting plan. I run both WordPress and phpBB on several domains without issue. They just require different SQL databases. For the short term, I would recommend upgrading the streets.mn comments section to Disqus. It's not perfect but it's an upgrade and allows people to use their FB and Twitter accounts to post and such.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 6th, 2014, 3:03 pm

From what I can tell, WPEngine is offering WordPress aaS (as a service) rather than providing you a server to install whatever software you want. So they most likely don't have the capability to install PHBB on the same server that runs the blog (not that it's a good idea anyway). As far as integration between the two, again it depends on what exactly is trying to be accomplished, and the capabilities of their hosting service.

But yeah, ditching the WordPress comments would not be a bad idea. I don't think forcing people to register on the forums and having all article discussion happen there would be good either, but there has to be some kind of middle ground.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 6th, 2014, 3:36 pm

I am intrigued by the idea of having Disqus for comments on streets.mn

I think a lot of people would appreciate that change.

mulad

Postby mulad » November 6th, 2014, 4:25 pm

Yeah, but tracking. And potentially giving Disqus the permission to do nasty things to your FB/Twitter/etc. account (at least Facebook lets me prevent them from posting to my wall if they should decide to do that, but I have to let them learn other things about me).

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 6th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Please do not change to Disque commenting. Not everybody has facebook or twitter, believe it or not.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 6th, 2014, 4:46 pm

Some of us have disqus accounts....

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 6th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Also, you can sign into disqus with an email account, so I'm not sure what ppl are resisting

Silophant

Postby Silophant » November 6th, 2014, 9:45 pm

-1 for Disqus commenting. If Streets.mn and Minnpost both switched to it, I'd be a happy camper.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Pip

Postby Pip » November 6th, 2014, 11:15 pm

I just changed a WordPress over to Disqus and once I created the account on their site, it took literally 30 seconds to switch over to Disqus. The install is automated and totally seamless. Looks like you can even import existing comments although I've never done that myself.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/disqus-comment-system/

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 11th, 2015, 3:52 pm

What do we think about ditching the word "forum" from the logo up there?

I mean, if we're merged, is it really necessary to include "forum" in the logo? This part of the website is obviously a forum. I presume the future URL will be https://streets.mn/forum

I'm just thinking in terms of simplicity, branding, etc., it seems not necessary. Plus, then we can just call the damn site "streets mn" and I won't have to worry about what silly acronyms or shorthand people will come up with ;)

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » February 11th, 2015, 4:12 pm

I kind of like the word forum, because it "brands" the site as a different part of streets.mn. I'd go one step farther and make the actual logo say "streets.mn/forum" or "forum.streets.mn" depending on what it will be in the end.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 11th, 2015, 4:28 pm

There are technical issues that make a merger more complicated than it probably should be -- I suspect it would be easiest to make "urbanmsp.com" become something like "forum.streets.mn", but that still has its own set of issues.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » October 24th, 2016, 8:31 pm

RIP urbanmsp.com?