History forum

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7576
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

History forum

Postby mattaudio » August 13th, 2012, 10:36 am

I think we could almost use a separate forum for threads about history and things gone by. Obviously I sidetrack a lot of threads with photos, links, stories of things that no longer exist, and I think it would be great to have a separate forum category for this.

Shawn
Site Admin
Posts: 189
Joined: May 29th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Re: History forum

Postby Shawn » August 13th, 2012, 11:12 pm

mattaudio wrote:I think we could almost use a separate forum for threads about history and things gone by. Obviously I sidetrack a lot of threads with photos, links, stories of things that no longer exist, and I think it would be great to have a separate forum category for this.
I think this is a great idea. I want Nick to confirm before we go ahead and do this but maybe we could lose the "photography" forum and add this instead, as there have been no posts there.

dmdhashw
Nicollet Mall
Posts: 166
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 4:10 pm

Re: History forum

Postby dmdhashw » August 15th, 2012, 10:54 am

Could do a "Twin Cities: Yesterday and Today" forum, where it could be a catch all for historic and modern photos, etc.

User avatar
Nick
Capella Tower
Posts: 2979
Joined: May 30th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Loring Park, Minneapolis

Re: History forum

Postby Nick » August 15th, 2012, 2:28 pm

Yeah if there was a way we could just make it a stand alone part of the current forum, sure. But it would be silly to try to link old threads to new ones or anything like that, which would take forever and probably look messy when it was done.

Shawn
Site Admin
Posts: 189
Joined: May 29th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Re: History forum

Postby Shawn » August 15th, 2012, 2:36 pm

Nick wrote:Yeah if there was a way we could just make it a stand alone part of the current forum, sure. But it would be silly to try to link old threads to new ones or anything like that, which would take forever and probably look messy when it was done.
Twin Cities Then and Now
or
Twin Cities Yesterday and Today

We'll just delete the photography forum and make a new forum. No linking threads or anything like that. If we begin to get even more picture-intensive at some point I should require users be logged in to view photos...just so the gigs of bandwidth we're using each day doesn't get to be too much and the "unlimited" bandwidth that we bought turns out to not be so unlimited.

User avatar
Nick
Capella Tower
Posts: 2979
Joined: May 30th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Loring Park, Minneapolis

Re: History forum

Postby Nick » August 15th, 2012, 2:40 pm

Shawn wrote:
Nick wrote:Yeah if there was a way we could just make it a stand alone part of the current forum, sure. But it would be silly to try to link old threads to new ones or anything like that, which would take forever and probably look messy when it was done.
Twin Cities Then and Now
or
Twin Cities Yesterday and Today

We'll just delete the photography forum and make a new forum. No linking threads or anything like that. If we begin to get even more picture-intensive at some point I should require users be logged in to view photos...just so the gigs of bandwidth we're using each day doesn't get to be too much and the "unlimited" bandwidth that we bought turns out to not be so unlimited.
Were we not already requiring people to log in to see pictures? We should do that regardless for bandwidth reasons.

User avatar
Nick
Capella Tower
Posts: 2979
Joined: May 30th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Loring Park, Minneapolis

Re: History forum

Postby Nick » August 15th, 2012, 7:29 pm

So I'm just kinda now sitting down to think about this, mattaudio were you suggesting we have a place on the forum to sort of "retire" old threads? So like once a project is complete, we can send it there and take it out of the normal forum?

I think that's a good idea.

Some things wouldn't go, like the Blue Line topic, because that still has things come up occasionally, but I imagine something like a thread for Flux (which was on Minnescraper) wouldn't really need to be mixed in with everything else at this point.

Edit: Maybe stick it at the very bottom of the current menu under the admin subheading? Like:

Archive > Retired Threads > Completed Projects
................................> Other
......... > Minnescraper .. > All the Minnescraper subheadings

User avatar
FISHMANPET
IDS Center
Posts: 4573
Joined: June 6th, 2012, 2:19 pm
Location: Corcoran

Re: History forum

Postby FISHMANPET » August 15th, 2012, 7:44 pm

If we're worried about bandwidth just get people to use imgur for picture hosting.

PhilmerPhil
Moderator
Posts: 1202
Joined: May 31st, 2012, 11:38 am
Location: SOUP: SOuth UPtown

Re: History forum

Postby PhilmerPhil » August 15th, 2012, 11:51 pm

I think what mattaudio was asking for is a sub forum about Twin Cities history. Many of us, myself especially included, are fascinated by multimedia of MPLS in the past, and this would be a good place to share that. Also, this would be a good place for stories, news articles, and other items of interest pertaining to the past.

Shawn
Site Admin
Posts: 189
Joined: May 29th, 2012, 10:17 pm

Re: History forum

Postby Shawn » August 16th, 2012, 8:59 am

I think we're talking about retired threads on a different topic. That's something to deal with separately. I think what was suggested specifically pertains to the history of minneapolis - a place to post and discuss old photos - like the FB page.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge
Posts: 7576
Joined: June 19th, 2012, 2:04 pm
Location: NORI: NOrth of RIchfield

Re: History forum

Postby mattaudio » August 16th, 2012, 9:56 am

Exactly. I asked about two things in two threads in that forum...
1. Archiving Minnescraper. As far as archiving threads from this site, not really concerned about what we choose.
2 and more important. Forum for photos, maps, stories etc from Minneapolis' past.

NoahDaBoa
Block E
Posts: 1
Joined: March 13th, 2013, 3:44 pm

Re: History forum

Postby NoahDaBoa » March 13th, 2013, 3:48 pm

MAKE THE DAMN HISTORY FORUM!!&!^!% This should totally happen...

User avatar
Nick
Capella Tower
Posts: 2979
Joined: May 30th, 2012, 9:33 pm
Location: Loring Park, Minneapolis

Re: History forum

Postby Nick » March 13th, 2013, 6:38 pm

NoahDaBoa wrote:MAKE THE DAMN HISTORY FORUM!!&!^!% This should totally happen...
viewforum.php?f=22

Welcome to the forum...


Return to “Updates - Announcements - Problems - Suggestions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest