Consolidated Project Information

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
Pip

Consolidated Project Information

Postby Pip » October 29th, 2014, 1:04 pm

First off, let me say I love UrbanMSP and the information it believes. In my opinion, it's the best source for development and project information around the cities other than reading articles on sites like the Strib and Business Journal. However, they only generally post articles when new projects are announced or a there's been a major development and rarely have plans and maybe only a few renderings. UrbanMSP provides ongoing updates and generally has links to plans, renderings, web cams, etc. However, while some of that information is posted and updated on the first post in the topic, a lot of times you have to go through pages and pages of the thread to get updated information. Is there a way to consolidate that information so that you could quickly see all the information and updates for a particular project in a consolidated area? I realize that's easier said than done but it's just a recommendation that I have.

twincitizen

Re: Consolidated Project Information

Postby twincitizen » October 29th, 2014, 1:14 pm

I do sometimes go back and edit the first post of a project thread, to either include new information/renderings, or provide a "jump ahead" link to a point in the thread with substantial information. Something that would help is if people would maybe wait a day or two on starting a new thread for each and every development site. We have general topics for a reason, and they are a good place for preliminary info. Once a site is confirmed, and has at least a link to a news story, that would be a good time to start a dedicated thread for a project. My favorite one to pick on is Marq4, where we had like over 100 posts before there was even a rendering. That's kinda dumb. You don't win any points for starting new threads, and I think, in general, newer users should refrain from creating project threads. If you're not going to take the time to write a paragraph and include at least one link, please don't create a new thread. It's always better if the OP in a project thread has some substantial information, rather than "I maybe heard about a thing".

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » October 29th, 2014, 1:48 pm

Obviously this is a pipe dream, but I'm looking at figuring out a way where we can flag or 'sticky' certain threads that are purely informational (i.e. renderings) while all others are discussion threads. You would then be able to view the entire thread, or only the information threads that have project updates. I'll see if I can piece something like this together - It would be helpful to me as well.

Pip

Postby Pip » October 29th, 2014, 2:28 pm

I guess what I'm thinking is rather than using the forum for both information and discussion, split it up and have the information (plans, renderings, etc.) in a Wiki and leave the forum for purely discussion. Each project could have it's own entry in the Wiki and everyone would be able to add updated information to it. I think this would be the best way to accomplish the goal of seeing updated information on projects and the easiest to integrate/ setup. I believe phpBB has a Wiki add-on so you'd be able to use the existing forum user database and even use the same design to reduce the amount of work involved to setup and maintain the Wiki. Again, I know it's easier said that done but if it were pulled off, I think it could be a huge asset. Just an idea/ wish. ;)

mulad

Postby mulad » October 29th, 2014, 2:54 pm

I've generally thought it would be best to edit the first post in a thread to include that information, but I'm not sure how to properly work out permissions for that sort of thing (as in, which users can update the first post in a thread -- the original thread author? moderators only? anyone?)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 29th, 2014, 3:12 pm

Moderators and the OP (unless there's a timeout on the ability to edit one's own post) can do it. If you want to change something mulad, go for it. I usually include a little note at the bottom of the post, in green text, and sign it with my handle (unless it's a really minor change, in which case I just make the changes). You're a mod now, so go nuts!

Return to “Updates - Announcements - Problems - Suggestions”