Moderation Discussion

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
trigonalmayhem

Moderation Discussion

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 11th, 2015, 5:41 pm

Mod Note: This is going to be the dedicated thread for discussion of moderation issues, to prevent it from tangenting up other threads.

So I've been yelled at on multiple occasions for posting 'the wrong thing in the wrong place.' In some cases I did get legitimately off topic, but it's gotten to the point that whenever I post about something that a few people think doesn't belong in a thread I get shouted down and basically told to go away.

Is there any kind of actual policy on the organization of posts and what constitutes on-topic? Or if users should really be directing people to post something in another location because they personally don't think it belongs in a discussion? I understand everyone has differing opinions, but it's pretty off-putting to be constantly told by the same few people that I'm 'posting wrong.' I figured this place has forum admins who do the administration, but thus far I haven't heard from any of them on this topic.

I'd like a little direction, because I do want to follow whatever rules exist and have a civil discussion, but it's getting tiresome having to justify even being able to talk about a particular subject instead of being able to actually talk about it. If users have a disagreement about what 'belongs' in a thread, I feel like some kind of mediation or guidelines would be helpful.
Last edited by Silophant on January 6th, 2016, 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited title and purpose.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Topic organization and post-shaming

Postby mplsjaromir » December 11th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Don't post the same idea 40 times.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » December 11th, 2015, 10:49 pm

What a perfectly well reasoned response and not at all the exact kind of bullying I'm talking about.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 12th, 2015, 9:14 am

Gonna have to give adults using the word "bullying" a big emoji thumbs down here

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » December 12th, 2015, 11:31 am

Adult bullying is definitely a thing. Especially on the Internet.

Trig, I always try to keep topics that are about buildings, about that specific project. The "general" topics are where to discuss more general concepts. While every building could have a discussion about the street in front, it doesn't need it in every thread.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 12th, 2015, 1:56 pm

I guess, from my perspective, it's pretty easy to move posts. So, don't, like, compose a post about SWLRT in the IDS Tower thread just because that's what you happened to be reading when the idea popped into your head, but natural tangents aren't such a big deal to me. I would rather have a tangent occur and lead to a good discussion that gets moved to a different thread at some point than have a tangent occur and get short-circuited into an argument about off-topicness.

If you do see a tangent forming and think that it should maybe get moved, by all means hit the report button to bring it to the mods' attention.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 12th, 2015, 2:37 pm

I'm not bothered by natural tangents, important ones can be moved to the proper space if they need to be. What is bothersome, in the least adult bullying way possible is really poor, negative, crap posts. If you have something constructive and relative to say, why does it have to be with such whiney, negative, bitter, better than everyone diction? We're a small group of people with very similar ideas on what the ideal would be for the city's streets and buildings. There is absolutely no need for the ideological solution to be shoved down everyone's throats in every thread when someone suggests a practical interim solution to an issue. Most of us are here for engaging, constructive dialogue about things going on in the city. When certain users ONLY use really negative dismissive tones as if they're somehow more clever or having a gotcha moment (thank you Mr Carson) every time they post, it puts a halt to discussion. I understand that people are going to get fired up once in a while, but if you're going to use that kind of prose for EVERY post you loose complete credibility to me. There are far better ways to get your ideas and points across.

That being said I think we need to get happy hours and field trips going again so people are more human and friendly to one another.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 30th, 2015, 11:32 am

I've kind of been thinking about this for a while.

First, Minneapolis is not perfect, nobody thinks that. But I don't think anywhere is perfect. And importantly, that doesn't mean that literally everything is bad.

And even if everything was terrible, it's usually done out of ignorance, not malice. The attitude you constantly take trig is that the city is doing ~whatever~ to spite someone, not because they just simply don't know any better. And you get angry at someone who is ignorant as if they're being malicious, and it looks like you're blowing up at someone for the completely wrong reasons (because you are!). That doesn't mean that there's never malice, but really, look down in your heart of hearts, do you really honestly think there's a group of people in Public Works in a dark room rubbing their hands together saying "how can we screw the pedestrian today?"

And more importantly, it makes for really shitty advocacy for anything. If someone (the city, whoever) is doing something wrong because they don't know any better, they need to be taught why what they're doing is wrong and how to improve. Yelling at them and telling them how bad they are doesn't help.

So you really need to change your tone about things that you don't like trig. Something about getting more flies with honey than vinegar.

ltmsp
Block E

Re: 729 Washington Av N

Postby ltmsp » January 6th, 2016, 4:17 pm

Could we please have "twincitizen" removed as a "moderator" for this forum? The smug, self-satisfactory posts that belittle anyone who doesn't comply with his/her narrative are getting old.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: 729 Washington Av N

Postby Nathan » January 6th, 2016, 6:26 pm

ltmsp wrote:Could we please have "twincitizen" removed as a "moderator" for this forum? The smug, self-satisfactory posts that belittle anyone who doesn't comply with his/her narrative are getting old.
No. A moderator can have their own personal opinions and experiences and still appropriately do their job as moderator. If you don't like his opinions, so be it. I can guarantee you he's put more time and effort into this site, running it, participating in city projects and activism, and participation and posting here than you. If you want to have more of an opinion here, do it, type, post, be knowledgeable, have valuable information, talk, but don't think because a moderator has opinions you can suggest they be removed.

at40man
Rice Park

Re: Moderation Discussion

Postby at40man » February 23rd, 2016, 11:58 am

I, too, operate a discussion board that deals with local broadcasting, and my members would throw a fit and disappear if I edited and deleted posts without notice as "liberally" as happens around here. What's up with that?

There probably should be some discussion around moderation of streets.mn .... I've noticed that dissenting opinions challenging premises are often removed without warning or notice. I've also seen non-controversial posts suddenly disappear from there too.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 23rd, 2016, 8:46 pm

It's not perfect, and probably won't be, but we often use a fairly light hand on the forum. Some posts seem to disappear when they simply get moved from one topic/subforum to another. People also remove their own posts at a similar rate to what the moderators do, so you may be observing a degree of self-censorship.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 24th, 2016, 10:33 am

at40man wrote:I, too, operate a discussion board that deals with local broadcasting
Is this the one that allows anonymous commenting? A pinnacle of civil dialog. Or is there another one I don't know about?

intercomnut
Rice Park

Re: Posting

Postby intercomnut » May 13th, 2016, 8:31 pm

Mods, can you stop with the word filters? They make reading posts difficult. For instance:
Nathan wrote:They were testing the lighting system last night! A friend sent me a snap, it looked really cool. Here's a video they posted. (Sorry about the mobile link)

http://m.Huns.com/media-vault/videos/US ... 976fa790a7

And sorry you'll have to change huns to v-ikings because teenage girls... I mean moderators.
Especially now that Streets.mn is trying to expand and become more accessible, the last thing we need are things like this making the forums inaccessible to those not in the know and simultaneously making the community look bad.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 13th, 2016, 8:44 pm

On target.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 13th, 2016, 9:10 pm

I think word filters are cool and good.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 13th, 2016, 9:33 pm

That was word-filtered, right?

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 14th, 2016, 8:42 am

It's well past the time to remove this particular word filter, and also for the mods to realize that they shouldn't be doing them in the first place.

Mcgizz
Nicollet Mall

Postby Mcgizz » May 20th, 2016, 8:46 am

Is it possible for Moderators to add the renderings of proposed projects to the top of the first page so we can see it? Especially, in threads they are already making a mod note to. No one wants to download large pdf files on mobile.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 20th, 2016, 9:40 am

If you want to convert the renderings in the PDF to image files and put them on Flickr (or similar), I would be happy to edit the links into the top posts. I just don't have the time to convert & upload the images myself.

Return to “Updates - Announcements - Problems - Suggestions”