Personal Attacks

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
David Greene
IDS Center

Personal Attacks

Postby David Greene » July 17th, 2017, 11:54 am

Not sure if I should start a new thread or if there is an existing one under which this would fit. Moderators, feel free to move if you choose.

The Minneapolis elections thread is now locked, right after I was the subject of numerous personal attacks by Peter. Normally I would not care but Peter made one very specific allegation which I can't let go by without a challenge. But I can't challenge. All that's there publicly is a set of attacks.

I don't think anyone locked the thread out of malice but the end result is things are in a state where public attacks are out there along with some posts chastising Peter. But I am left without the ability to defend myself.

I'd be fine if Peter's attacks were erased. He stated straight up he wants me to leave. I'm not going to. But do we really want people saying stuff like that in what is supposed to be a friendly forum?

Is there any code of conduct at all? Perhaps there should be.

twincitizen

Re: Personal Attacks

Postby twincitizen » July 17th, 2017, 4:56 pm

You're right that by locking the thread, it left you without a way to defend yourself. I apologize for that, but moderating from a phone while on the toilet at work leaves few options and the thread had to be locked before it went further.

Peter (FISHMANPET) has been banned for 2 weeks for violating the comment policy.

We tend to give our regular posters an enormous amount of leeway in this regard, but this time it just went too far.

General thoughts on moderation: I don't believe I have ever banned a real person from the forum (only spambots). Looking back at our 5 years of existence, obviously Nick had to do some heavier moderation in the earlier years of the forum, as we were still thick with the know-nothings who have since mostly self-exiled to other, crappier forums. Once that all worked itself out, the moderation here has been done with a very light touch over the past couple of years, seldom having to do so much as delete a post. Probably 75% of the time I've spent "moderating" is moving posts to correct topics, merging or splitting topics, etc.

David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Personal Attacks

Postby David Greene » July 17th, 2017, 7:37 pm

Thanks Matt. Just to be clear, I agree locking the thread was the right thing to do.

After some reflection today, I guess I don't care if the comments stay or are deleted. I'll leave that to moderator discretion.

We, the forum, ought to have a conversation about this, though I don't know where that should go. Peter's comments were timely given "Excommunicate me from the church of social justice" which has been making the rounds. It also ties into some actions surrounding the most recent police shooting. There's a lot of purity testing and hate goin' on and it's completely counterproductive.

I hope that Peter would participate.

Return to “Updates - Announcements - Problems - Suggestions”