Mobile Version?

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
Shawn
Site Admin

Re: Mobile Version?

Postby Shawn » June 18th, 2013, 6:01 am

After a delay or two...or seven, TapTalk is up and running! Check it on with the TapTalk app on Android or iOS.

Hopefully this will help those who are having access issues with iPhones.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » June 18th, 2013, 11:59 am

^First post from the Tapatalk iPhone app! Looking good. Thanks for the updates, hope you had a good vacation!

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 1st, 2013, 10:39 pm

So is no one else having trouble accessing the site from a mobile device? I'm still (generally) not able to pull it up from Verizon 3G in Safari--I can on WiFi. I've had this off and on for maybe three months now. I know one other poster has had trouble with it, but I'm surprised that more complaints haven't trickled in considering how many people use iPhones and how many people have Verizon. I was able to get around the problem by installing the Opera browser. Shawn isn't really sure why it's happening, and if it's not a big problem, I guess we can stick with the workaround, but I wanted to check before it goes off my radar.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 2nd, 2013, 8:06 am

Use Chrome, it works very well for me.

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » July 2nd, 2013, 5:31 pm

I've been having the same problem. The site loads fine on WiFi but does not load on Verizon 3G or 4G. I've tried Chrome, Opera and the stock Android browser with no success.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » July 2nd, 2013, 8:06 pm

Chrome's not working for me, but Opera is. Thanks for the tip, Nick.

Scottie
City Center

Postby Scottie » July 3rd, 2013, 9:33 am

I downloaded the Opera mini browser and that seems to be working.

mulad

Postby mulad » July 6th, 2013, 7:07 am

Interesting. I'm not sure if Opera still works this way, but they used to operate their own set of proxy servers to compress web pages and make them load faster. I would guess Verizon is blocking the site for some reason, but Opera is able to get around it since Verizon only sees a connection going to Opera's servers.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 6th, 2013, 8:43 am

That's pretty much what Shawn said he thought was happening. Why would Verizon be blocking it? Should I call them or something..?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mulad

Postby mulad » July 6th, 2013, 6:05 pm

Try giving them a call. The site may have been flagged as having malware at some point (that happened once with Google, didn't it?)

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » July 20th, 2013, 3:42 pm

Update - I essentially ran a trace of the traffic from Nick's phone, through Verizon, to our host, and back to the phone, which from my (and our host's) understanding, is a specific issue related to iPhones and nothing else. Traffic makes it through Verizon's servers, so I see no place for there to be issues besides the phones. I would suggest the normal clearing of cookies/cache, and then using different browsers and apps. Opera should work well (my favorite), but there are plenty of mobile browsers that run a site through their own server and don't give the phone any opportunity to mess up the site, as it seems to do with our site. Really wish I could be of more help.

If you want to test out your phone, you should run a traceroute between your phone and urbanmsp.com. Mytraceroute or Free Trace work to complete this test. Feel free to PM, e-mail, or post the results. Shawn [-@-] UrbanMSP.com

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 8th, 2013, 8:12 am

Fwiw, my iPhone is working on VZW LTE. So that's good.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » August 8th, 2013, 8:22 am

Has it always worked or is this recent?

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » August 12th, 2013, 8:56 am

This was the first time I had tried it in some time. It was not working at all for a while (see above in this thread), even using the Tapatalk app. I have no idea if something changed on the server side or the VZW side, but it's good to go now.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » April 28th, 2016, 4:00 pm

I miss the old mobile version. It was nice and compact, while this new one sprawls a bit and provides more information than necessary for mobile viewing.

Also, my browser is not keeping me logged in on mobile. Every time I return to the site, I have to re-login. Can this be fixed?

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » April 28th, 2016, 4:23 pm

Tapatalk is fairly nice for mobile.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 28th, 2016, 5:04 pm

My pet peeve with the mobile version is that there's not an easy way to get back to the last sub-forum you were reading -- you either need to go through the pulldown, which is a pain, or you jump all of the way back out to the main index page.

Not convinced by Tapatalk yet. Giving it time.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 28th, 2016, 5:26 pm

Are images weird for anyone else in mobile? Like, very pixelated?