Images

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Images

Postby FISHMANPET » September 14th, 2012, 9:03 am

Is there any way to improve the way images are posted here? I'm pretty partial to the way something awful does it.

No internal hosting, so everything gets hosted at imgur (which imgur is OK with). Putting something in img tags puts it on the page full screen, without the stupid scrollbars on the picture we have now. If it breaks tables that's a rule violation, and you should use the [timg] take instead, which downloads the whole picture, but shrinks it down to a thumbnail size. Clicking the picture expand it in the browser (using some fancy Web 2.0 javascript I imagine).

As it stands now images on this forum are awful, because they get put in this 100 pixel box that requires a ton of scrolling to use.

PhilmerPhil

Re: Images

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 14th, 2012, 9:48 am

I agree that images could be handled better here. I also wish there was an easy way to take photos and share them straight from my iPhone. If anyone knows how to do this easily, please explain. (Maybe there is an app that allows you to take photos, uploads them to something like imgur and provides the link, which would be pasted into my post.)

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 14th, 2012, 6:27 pm

Yes, this set up is a little awkward. On Minnescraper, if you uploaded it instead of linked to an external image, there would be scroll bars, but when you clicked on the photo, it expanded without making the rest of the page out of whack. I do like being able to host on the site directly. I do link to photos that I have on my flickr account, but I try to keep the photos there to only my own work, and of at least somewhat high quality. Having to host the rest on imgur wouldn't be a huge deal, but I would prefer to not have to create yet another online profile.
My flickr photos.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 15th, 2012, 1:34 pm

If you've never used imgur I'd give it a try, it's designed to be as absolutly simple as possible. You can create an account, but you don't have to. If you have a picture on your computer you just drag it into the browser window and it uploads. There are browser extensions you can use to rehost a photo from another site, or take a screenshot of a page and upload. There's also an app for android (and probably iPhone as well) where I can upload a picture in just a few seconds.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » September 17th, 2012, 7:53 am

I haven't posted enough images to have this problem but it sounds rather annoying. I'll be working on it over the next few days for you guys. Can you explain what would be ideal? Automatically re sized to X width, combined with some kind of light-box pop-up when you click on it to expand the image without doing anything to the page?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 17th, 2012, 7:38 pm

That sounds like it would work pretty well. I had to dig to find them, but here's a page with a handful of examples. Every picture on the first page except the first post has scrollbars.

I'm using a chrome extension that expands thumbnails to their full size images, called Hover Zoom, so if it worked with that somehow that would be nice.

Edit: herp derp forgot the link viewtopic.php?f=20&t=75

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » September 18th, 2012, 12:36 am

That's better, but now it throws the layout all askew. Even if I maximize on my 1920 pixel wide monitor, I still have to scroll. Could it be set so the maximum width of an image is 900 or something, and anything bigger than that is shrunk down?

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » September 18th, 2012, 12:57 am

Attached
iStock_000003964252Large-RETOUCHED-SLIDE.jpg

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 30th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Can the forums code be set to block images from ImageShack? Because Imageshack is awful, and imgur is so much better.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 30th, 2012, 4:18 pm

imgur doesn't work from my mobile device at all. hate it, unless I'm on the pc, which is rare.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » October 30th, 2012, 4:28 pm

Sooooooo consensus? I'd be happy to do any of the above suggestions if it works for everyone

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 30th, 2012, 4:46 pm

What exactly do you mean doesn't work? On my Android phone it's about 3 touches to upload a photo to imgur. And I have a hard time beleiving Imageshack is any easier, since their only purpose in life seems to be to shove ads down your throat with a million pop ups if you so much as even look at their website.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 3rd, 2012, 9:20 pm

How are the thumbnails for flickr images created? Does the code automatically detect a large flickr image and instead show a small thumbnail?

mulad

Postby mulad » December 4th, 2012, 5:37 am

Flickr just automatically generates several different image sizes upon upload, and you can choose which one to share. The sizes range from a small 75x75 square thumbnail up to 1024 pixels wide (height depending on the aspect ratio of the original photo). I believe the "Medium 500" and "Medium 640" options tend to work pretty well for this board.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » December 4th, 2012, 8:29 am

I'm curious how stuff like this is done:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=172&start=50#p11440

The poster posted a full size image, but the forums shrunk it down automatically. There has to be some way to do that automatically for all pictures?

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » January 17th, 2013, 12:07 pm

So we still haven't come to a great consensus on posting images, although they haven't been bad. I tried imageshack and agree with FISHMANPET that's it's not very good.

Anyway, Razorback recently introduced himself and noted that he would be willing to put up some photos if he knew how, so here's a quick youtube tutorial on posting in general, how to upload photos to http://www.flickr.com and also how to copy a link from Flickr for use on the forum. If anyone needs more help ask and I'm sure we can help you out! We all would love to see more pictures! :D

First General info on posting:
[BBvideo 530,330]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9smxMX4z3c[/BBvideo]
Here's how to uploading to Flickr:
[BBvideo 530,330]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGwS7ru2cH0[/BBvideo]
Here's how you get an image from Flickr to the forum and make it look nice. **Note, to use this method photos need to be set to "public" on Flickr.
[BBvideo 530,330]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtyZ4vUBf7c[/BBvideo]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 4th, 2013, 8:33 pm

Does the frozen phoenix (standard) theme not do the auto-thumbnail with pictures like Pro Silver does?

I've noticed some large pics stretching the page since I switched back to Phoenix. I want the site to get ad revenue, but Pro Silver is sooo much better.

mulad

Postby mulad » February 5th, 2013, 7:18 pm

I personally felt that the thumbnails on Prosilver were way too small to show any detail, so I'd always have to click on them. I switched back to Frozen Phoenix pretty quickly. (I also don't like how Prosilver has text go all the way across the screen -- it's usually better to limit text to about 80-120 characters wide for readability). I think the Frozen Phoenix theme does some resizing as well, but it looks like that might have something to do with when the post was added -- new images like in this entry get scaled to 600 pixels wide (you can click through to a larger photo), which works great for me, but here's an older post where some 1000-pixel-wide images were not reduced in size for a preview image (similar story with the attachment in this thread?). Maybe that's just below the threshold for rescaling? If there is a threshold, it should probably be set to trigger somewhere around 600 to 650 pixels in width.

I'll probably bemoan saying that as soon as I get a retina-ish display, though. (Sigh, my laptop from 11 years ago was over 140 dpi, while my current home monitor is 96. I blame Microsoft, naturally).

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » February 6th, 2013, 10:06 am

We're right on the verge of rolling out a new forum design. Once that's up and everyone is using the same theme, we'll try to come up with a good way to deal with pictures. Right now there are four or five being used, this new theme will make it much easier to figure something out.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Photo Size Limit - 500 pixels wide?

Postby minneapolisguy » March 9th, 2013, 8:23 am

Seems like a 500 pixel wide image limit is now in force - why is this?

Most people have larger monitors these days - why the small size?? Anyone have any info on this - we used to be able to post larger size images until today??