Images

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Images

Postby Nick » March 9th, 2013, 11:00 am

I switched that last week because of this. If you right click the image to see the original, it's much larger but it displayed huge and cut off. Changing the setting didn't seem to change anything, so I kept it set that way hoping that it would kick in at some point. But I see what you're talking about. Both are external linked images, why would it display them differently..?

Update: I changed it to 750 and it doesn't seem to have changed the ones you posted today. Maybe it only effects new posts?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mulad

Postby mulad » March 9th, 2013, 10:29 pm

This is why I often prefer to use Flickr -- you can use a small image size to post -- cut-n-paste the bbcode they provide for sharing images and that will include a link back to the Flickr page, and from there you can get much larger images.

Attaching images to a post works in a similar way, displaying a reduced-size image in the post but letting folks click through to bigger images.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » August 24th, 2013, 12:25 pm

So we probably need to do something about posting pictures, right? I disabled new attachments because that's a drag on the site's database--I'm considering going back and deleting the attachments from my past posts and putting them on our Flickr, but I don't know that I have that much free time, and I have a lot of free time.

Right now, there's a 640 px x 480 px size limit on hosted pictures (ones that you link from other sites) because it always bugged the hell out of me when someone would post some giant, non-resized picture on Minnescraper that was like 3000 px x 3000 px and it was like three times the size of my screen. I'm pretty sure with this theme that it's going to cut off the excess size, though. Not sure

The current limit probably needs to be raised, I guess, and I can't really be that picky of other people graciously going out and taking pictures for us, but Flickr is probably the best option--you can pick the pre-formatted html code to size the photo however you want after you upload it.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 24th, 2013, 6:39 pm

Soooo I guess Flickr made it a lot harder to upload pictures...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mulad

Postby mulad » November 25th, 2013, 10:22 am

I don't see anything different when using Firefox on Windows or Linux, and I just uploaded a test photo a moment ago. Are you talking about sending images to Flickr, or sharing them after they've been uploaded? The iPhone app?

I've noticed that sharing (well, "embedding") is next to impossible with the "beta photo experience" on the website. It looks like they recently restored the ability to share using regular HTML, but the pop-up to do that doesn't show up properly on Firefox. I suspect the BBcode option may be missing, but as I said, I can't tell because the pop-up doesn't show up correctly at the moment. I've found it best to opt out of the beta and continue using the share button from the standard image page.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » March 29th, 2014, 5:37 pm

Man, Flickr.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » March 29th, 2014, 6:48 pm

Every time someone does a photodump, I promise myself I won't look at them all at once, and I never keep that promise.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » March 29th, 2014, 10:16 pm

Man, Flickr.
They sure like to tinker with stuff. Thanks for the tour, though!
My flickr photos.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 3rd, 2014, 2:16 pm

Well, as of today Flickr wants you to sign up for a Yahoo! account to share photos, so no more of that I guess...
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 3rd, 2014, 2:47 pm

Well, imgur still exists and is still superior in all ways for dumping images onto a forum, so...

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 3rd, 2014, 6:06 pm

I don't want to sign up for more accounts! There are so many accounts.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 3rd, 2014, 6:10 pm

You don't need an account for imgur

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 3rd, 2014, 9:37 pm

Imgur is wonderful. Imgur is life

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » May 3rd, 2014, 9:51 pm

Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » May 4th, 2014, 10:48 am

I'm working... at a restaurant... and just made the most obnoxious weird laugh. Customers, not impressed.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 4th, 2014, 11:04 am

Meow/but like I still want to be able to keep track of all the stuff I'm uploading. New Flickr account TBA.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 4th, 2014, 11:20 am

You can keep track of what you upload with imgur if you register an account, though I think it'll only show you the last 50 pictures you've uploaded (though all the pictures will still be there). I paid the $20/year to see all my uploads because it's only $20 and I use the crap out of imgur.

Although I guess I don't understand the problem. Flickr wants you to have a Yahoo account and that's bad so the solution is to... make a Yahoo account?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 4th, 2014, 2:56 pm

Basically, I want all of the things that I want, exactly how I want, when I want, and also I don't want to be inconvenienced in any way :x . What I meant was that I think we're going to set up a shared streets.mn Flickr tied to a shared streets.mn email, so I'll just use that. (I'm actually surprised all the time by how few people complain about setting up accounts for every single thing. Like why do I have to sign up for a Microsoft account to install the copy of MS Office I just paid $130 for? Why do I need separate accounts and password for 1) my health insurance 2) my health provider 3) my health provider's mobile app 4) my HSA account and 5) the scheduler for my health screening through my health insurance. Obviously these are ridiculous things to complain about in the grand scheme of things, but it just seems like there's some better way to do all of this.)
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 4th, 2014, 3:07 pm

If you're sick of keeping track of various passwords, LastPass is pretty great

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » May 5th, 2014, 9:40 am

Too bad OpenID never went anywhere.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.