Subforums

Debugging - Report Issues - Suggestions
twincitizen

Subforums

Postby twincitizen » November 6th, 2012, 11:19 am

I don't know if Northeast needs it's own sub-forum, but perhaps we could combine headings with either downtown or U of M.

Or maybe that's a bad idea and NE topics should remain in "Minneapolis - Outside Downtown" which isn't the most accurate name for that sub-forum anyways.

I forsee a lot of development happening in inner NE or "downtown NE" as some call it, which includes some of SE (St. Anthony Main area)

I guess my official recommendation is to change the "University of Minnesota" sub-forum to "Minneapolis - U of M - Northeast - Southeast".

Sure, a few West Bank topics will creep in there (7west, etc) but by and large this sub-forum will neatly package everything going on in Minneapolis east of the river.

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Northeast Minneapolis sub-forum

Postby Nick » November 10th, 2012, 9:46 pm

I dunno if there's enough going on in Northeast for it to be its own thing yet. Hopefully in the future. U of M seems to make sense operating as its own thing given that the market there is mostly running on pixie dust anyway.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Headers

Postby Nick » November 27th, 2012, 9:10 pm

I just changed the headers and captions of the forum sections around a bit. It'd been bugging me for a little while...I didn't really feel like "development within the heart of downtown Minneapolis" was right for a section including stuff at the fringe of the North Loop and Loring Park. I kind of want to change it to "Minneapolis - Central" but I think that might be too vague and confusing for new users. I also changed "Minneapolis - Outside Downtown" to "Minneapolis - General" because the Uptown and U of M were also outside downtown. And specified Lake/Hennepin and LynLake for the Uptown forum.

Thoughts?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Re: Headers

Postby twincitizen » November 28th, 2012, 1:17 am

Looks great! Maybe give NE a shout-out in Minneapolis-General just to be clear.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 28th, 2012, 9:32 am

I don't like it because it has a very anti suburban bias. Where's a forum for Richfield? Woodbury? Elk River?

This is clearly a subsidy for those hard working posters in the suburbs to the posting welfare queens of the cities.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 28th, 2012, 10:34 am

I considered adding "But what about BENGHAZI?" to the Anything Goes tagline but why mess with success?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 14th, 2013, 10:28 am

I'd like to suggest that Northeast Minneapolis is now deserving of a subforum.

There's projects in northeast planned and underway such as Red20, Corner Apartments, Grainbelt Terrace, and the recently finished artspace apartments. Also there's an active topic on northeast neighborhoods and there could be other topics to track changes in Old St Anthony and the 13th & University district.

I wouldn't be opposed to a combined Northeast/Southeast forum so it would include Mill & Main, Stonebridge, and proposed Rampton. U of M would continue to be it's own forum, but it may make sense to include SE Mpls projects west of 35W with the northeast subforum.

Thoughts?

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 15th, 2013, 8:02 am

I'm for it if North East generally refers to all of Minneapolis NE of the river excluding the u areas. it could include surly and any future projects in prospect park along university as well.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » November 15th, 2013, 8:31 am

I am strongly in favor of a NE sub forum. There is lots of stuff beginning to percolate in NE.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 15th, 2013, 9:23 am

NE + Marcy Holmes + Como + Prospect Park?
Stadium Village, MH/Como student housing, Dinkytown, and Cedar Riverside can stay in the U of M forum?

mulad

Postby mulad » November 15th, 2013, 9:48 am

We may need to make a master map to keep track of the different regions. Being pedantic, everything south and east of Hennepin Avenue (until the Mississippi River) is Southeast, while north and west of Hennepin is Northeast. Dinkytown is part of Marcy-Holmes. But a Northeast+Southeast subforum is a good idea nonetheless.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 15th, 2013, 4:15 pm

Are there really more than a handful of projects in Northeast?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Viktor Vaughn
Target Field

Postby Viktor Vaughn » November 15th, 2013, 5:43 pm

There's a handful of projects underway in Northeast. There's others with potential like the Corner Apartments, Archive Building, Superior Plating site, etc.

With a quick scan of the Minneapolis-Other category I counted about 20 threads that relate to Northeast or the Old St Anthony area of Southeast. Maybe there's a total of 25 if you included the Prospect Park area as others are suggesting.

I just think breaking out NE would make the site more useful. With over 100 topics in the Mpls-Other category people are more likely to start a duplicative thread. Segegrating the NE threads would make the forum better for those with a particular interest in the neighborhood and start to sketch out a story of the community.

It wouldn't make much of a difference to me personally because I read everything posted on the site and use the "view unread posts" feature rather than by sub-forum. Yet, I think it will make the forum better.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » November 15th, 2013, 8:46 pm

Maybe put Northeast and North in their own subforum, and then all that's left in General is South Minneapolis so just rename that. Or is there another area I'm missing out on?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 15th, 2013, 11:36 pm

I guess it'd make sense to do like North/Northeast, Downtown, U of M, and South (including Uptown)? Just trying to think of the most intuitive spot on the continuum between just "Minneapolis" by itself and a subforum for each neighborhood.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Re: Subforums

Postby Nick » November 18th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Sitting down and thinking about this now...I guess my concern is that we already have four separate Minneapolis subforums which each individually have more posts than the entire, single St. Paul subforum. The idea behind the subforums, I think, isn't necessarily to organize the city, but to parse out the parts that have lots and lots of projects. I mean, if you're looking for a thread outside of Downtown, Uptown, or the U, what's the chance that you'll click the Minneapolis - General subforum and have to click to the second page?
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » November 19th, 2013, 8:36 am

Despite the fact that I started this thread a year ago, I've come around to Nick's POV on this. A separate forum for Northeast is not justified at this time. There is little development activity in the city outside of the areas that do have their own forums (Downtown, Uptown, U of M / Dinkytown). Any major or significant projects in NE would very likely be on the first page of the "Minneapolis - Other" subforum.

Now if suddenly 5+ projects popped up in NE/SE, we'd have to reevaluate. But for now, I think "if it ain't broke" + "wait and see" is the best policy.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » November 19th, 2013, 9:02 am

Agreed. If anything, we should be talking about splitting up tpo... that's the forum where I often have to click through pages to find a thread.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » November 19th, 2013, 9:10 pm

I think I'm going stick with the current arrangement. I also added two stickied threads to the top of Minneapolis - General for Northeast and the Northside, for smaller posts that maybe don't warrant a whole thread.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 9th, 2014, 6:42 pm

It's becoming apparent to me that maybe we need two different types of "Anything Goes" subforums.

One for general urban issues/ideas/concepts "General Urban Issues Discussion" or whatever clever name we come up with.

The other would be the standard "Anything Goes" category...literally anything goes.