DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nasa35

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby nasa35 » March 25th, 2013, 2:26 pm

I would really like to see the Strib move into Block E and bring the main portion of their HQ's facade with them.
Where do they print it now?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » March 25th, 2013, 2:32 pm

Big complex at the end of the North Loop between 8th Ave N and the Plymouth Ave Bridge, right?

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » March 25th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Big complex at the end of the North Loop between 8th Ave N and the Plymouth Ave Bridge, right?
So they 100,00- square feet...that seems like alot!

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 25th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Hopefully this bodes well for the Ryan deal going through. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ffice.html
Is it just me or is the map on this link incorrect? Seems to me that they have the streets labeled wrong. 3rd should be 4th, 4th s/b 5th. etc. It throws off the block alignment to the Metrodome.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 25th, 2013, 3:01 pm

I don't know NASA, it is a pretty big operation. When you consider space for all of the sales team, writers, editors, on-line staff, etc. I can see where they might need that.
I echo the sentiment that Block E would be a great place for them. Gives the paper good visibility/advertising, gives a terrible building a purpose and a unique operation, and fills a void on a very visible block in the core of downtown. Win, win, win. It sounds like they have the architect already picked out, so this could change the look of Block E also.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » March 25th, 2013, 3:51 pm

I've been in Block E a few times, but only to the movie theater. How much renovation would need to be done for the building to be suitable?

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » March 25th, 2013, 3:57 pm

It would be gutted and stripped of its facade. It is simply a grid of steel after that.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » March 25th, 2013, 4:24 pm

The building is mostly clad in sugary frosting, so it won't take much to demo the facade.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » March 25th, 2013, 5:28 pm

I think The StarTribune moving their offices to Block E is an excellent idea. Its sounds like the perfect space to locate it if there is enough underground parking and square footage for office space. Redesigning it with a very modern facade would update their image. They could also add some news tickers to the facade as part of animating it and contribute to the Hennepin Ave Theater District light show. They would have much more visible presence in the community. Sounds like a potential "win win" for both the developer, The StarTribune, and the entertainment district.

612transplant
Nicollet Mall

Postby 612transplant » March 25th, 2013, 7:13 pm

Hopefully this bodes well for the Ryan deal going through. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ffice.html
Is it just me or is the map on this link incorrect? Seems to me that they have the streets labeled wrong. 3rd should be 4th, 4th s/b 5th. etc. It throws off the block alignment to the Metrodome.
I had forgotten about that. I was thinking about posting that when news of this first broke, but...

Yeah, they screwed the pooch. Pretty big gaffe for a publication like Biz Journal, if you ask me, and surprised they haven't fixed the graphic yet....especially when it appears in ANOTHER story, months later....

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » March 25th, 2013, 9:46 pm

I think The StarTribune moving their offices to Block E is an excellent idea. Its sounds like the perfect space to locate it if there is enough underground parking and square footage for office space. Redesigning it with a very modern facade would update their image. They could also add some news tickers to the facade as part of animating it and contribute to the Hennepin Ave Theater District light show. They would have much more visible presence in the community. Sounds like a potential "win win" for both the developer, The StarTribune, and the entertainment district.
AGREED! It would be smart for them to create a multimedia presence... That is what makes Times Square so dynamic.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » March 26th, 2013, 6:30 am

An office for a newspaper would be good for the entertainment district? Please explain how?

Not agreeing at all.
Last edited by nasa35 on March 26th, 2013, 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 26th, 2013, 7:42 am

Maybe because the entertainment district is already 'entertainment'ed out"? Clearly there is something about that space - location, the building, etc - that is making it unsuccessful at attracting and keeping the type of tenants designated to go there. Maybe we should stop pigeon-holing buildings and areas for one form or another and let companies decide if it's a good place for them. I think if they allowed some ground-level stuff to stay and integrated news/video/tickers or something along those lines to the area it would fit quite well while also helping to inject some people in that area between 8-5 M-F.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » March 26th, 2013, 8:45 am

^This. I can't really think of many "entertainment uses" that would need that much space above street level, except the movie theater that was kicked out. (Which I'm still unhappy about. I love St. Anthony main, but having a big multiplex theatre downtown was a good thing.) The bottom floor and at least part of the skyway level should continue to be entertainment uses, but, as RailBaron said, it'd be good to have more people on Hennepin during the day as well. And, of course, occupied space is always better than empty space.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » March 26th, 2013, 9:16 am

Clearly there is something about that space - location, the building, etc - that is making it unsuccessful at attracting and keeping the type of tenants designated to go there.

Yes. For instance, it may be to Block E's detriment that it is hopelessly square. In response to the question "Where should we meet?", can anyone plausibly claim with a straight face that they would ever answer "Block E" ? The disneyland aesthetic and corporate fun-plex feel of the place might have something to do with it. It's just not cool.
Maybe we should stop pigeon-holing buildings and areas for one form or another and let companies decide if it's a good place for them
Completely agree. Allow a bit of mixing and creative destruction. A doctor's office, law office, apartments, a shop selling overpriced handbags, and a bar can all share the same structure without difficulty. A bit less micro-management would probably be a healthy thing.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » March 26th, 2013, 9:18 am

Yes. For instance, it may be to Block E's detriment that it is hopelessly square. In response to the question "Where should we meet?", can anyone plausibly claim with a straight face that they would ever answer "Block E" ? The disneyland aesthetic and corporate fun-plex feel of the place might have something to do with it. It's just not cool.
Definitely, yes...when there were tenants. I have met people there plenty of times for movies and such. I even met people there to go to...cover your ears(eyes in this case I guess)...Applebee's! Used to love those cheap apps during happy hour.

I do like the idea of Star Tribune going in Block E...I think I always thought it would be a good place for some sort of media outlet, as we have discussed before in the Block E thread. If they make it a little flashy, they can get themselves some name recognition.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » March 26th, 2013, 10:31 am

I'm one that agrees that this building, minus the hotel need to be stripped to the girders and a new layout needs to be put forth. The old Hard Rock would still be an excellent restraurnt space. They just need to get a new façade that says come in. They, like Kieran's have some great patio space that is screaming to be used. The Façade needs windows so that people can see inside and have places that people want to be in

The Star Trb on the 3rd or an additional 4th floor would be fine. But we need to have street life on Hennepin and the Strib will not give us that. Why would Old Navy not work in the old Game Works spot. H&M might make a nice multi-level store where the old book store was. We have to look at MPLS as a new retail area. WE have how many new units coming on line this summer and fall. Remember we are changing demographics each year. When the 2 LTR line get up and going there will be people that want to come downtown because it is not a shopping mall. They can shop, take a walk along the river, find a great restraint to have a meal that you don't get in the burbs chains. They can catch a matinee at the theater. One of the biggest problems and why places don't work is most developers look at the past and what is happening right now, so once they get the place going it has a few good to OK years and then it very fast loses it's luster. When you plan for the future and look at the future trends that are coming forward you are ahead of the curve, You have several good years before you have to reinvest. A big must for E Block is to get a street to Skyway access both on 1St Ave and Hennepin, make it so people know that it is there and friendly to get to.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » March 26th, 2013, 10:58 am

Definitely, yes...when there were tenants. I have met people there plenty of times for movies and such.
I went to many movies there as well. I understand that it was also an unwilling departure - didn't the landlord refuse to renew the lease?

Arguably, though, movie theaters are different from other nightlife. There are far fewer of them (than bars or restaurants), so consumers are less discerning (they also sit in the dark for most of the experience - ie, the ambience is less important).

The particular problem with Applebees (or any other chain restaurant) isn't that there's anything wrong with it per se, it's just that it's not distinctive. Chains require standardization. Standardization is by definition predictable, and therefore a bit dull. Not unpleasantly dull - if you want a decent burger and a big-label beer, then you get what you wanted. But the very premise is inherently devoid of novelty or creativity. And depriving nightlife of novelty or creativity is generally not a recipe for success.

The Strib would probably be a fine tenant anywhere (lots of decently paid white collar types quietly huddled over desks aren't much of a nuisance to the neighbors, I imagine). What I don't understand is why they would want to leave their current location? Or why the building should be torn down? The loose talk about razing the building (but preserving the facade, or some such compromise) makes no sense: it is surrounded by undeveloped land!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » March 26th, 2013, 11:25 am

The Strib would probably be a fine tenant anywhere (lots of decently paid white collar types quietly huddled over desks aren't much of a nuisance to the neighbors, I imagine). What I don't understand is why they would want to leave their current location? Or why the building should be torn down? The loose talk about razing the building (but preserving the facade, or some such compromise) makes no sense: it is surrounded by undeveloped land!
They want to leave their current building because they are making a mint on the land, pure and simple. I'm guessing everything in their building is very aged with limited capabilities and this will give them the opporunity to make money and upgrade all at the same time.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » March 26th, 2013, 11:42 am

So they 100,00- square feet...that seems like alot!
To be clear, the printing operations are likely to stay put, right? Just the newsroom / office space in DTE near the Metrodome is a part of this future move, I believe.