DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 14th, 2013, 9:05 pm

So Thrivent wouldn't finish its other "praying hand" at its current HQ but instead would move its HQ to this location?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 14th, 2013, 9:09 pm

So Thrivent wouldn't finish its other "praying hand" at its current HQ but instead would move its HQ to this location?
They will keep there headquarters here, but will expand in their lower cost Wisconsin campus

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 14th, 2013, 9:41 pm

is that some company policy you're privy to? or just random speculation.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 14th, 2013, 9:44 pm

That's the status quo and personal experience of those of us who have worked at Thrivent.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » July 15th, 2013, 12:14 am

Thrivent Marketing was a client of mine and as long back as 5 years ago they talked about shifting more jobs to their Wisc. campus - I think in Appleton? or Wausau? Cost of doing business in Wisconsin has actually gone up over the years and the real estate taxes are much higher than Minnesota (believe it or not)... They also talked about not finding people with the right skills in rural Wisconsin so that might swing expansion toward Minneapolis.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 15th, 2013, 9:39 am

Thrivent Marketing was a client of mine and as long back as 5 years ago they talked about shifting more jobs to their Wisc. campus - I think in Appleton? or Wausau? Cost of doing business in Wisconsin has actually gone up over the years and the real estate taxes are much higher than Minnesota (believe it or not)... They also talked about not finding people with the right skills in rural Wisconsin so that might swing expansion toward Minneapolis.
I would agree with you! Part of having back office is to save money. But if you can't get talent to stay and taxes are not competitive then it is a wash to expand there. But that was the main reason when they first merged with the other Lutheran company. Like when company expand into Sioux Falls and Lincoln like State Farm did. Do they get the caliber of employees that they really need and want? You need thing to keep people happy with where they live. PArt of why we in MN have problems keeping IT people here when they can go to the east coast with more options for moving around.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 15th, 2013, 10:21 am

Just a reminder, the Thrivent thread is here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1102
It encompasses redevelopment of their surface lots on the 5th Ave side of the 625 block, the full block of surface parking between 5th Ave and Portland, and potentially the small surface lot next to the Sexton at 5th Ave / 7th St. By extension, the Thrivent thread would include discussion about their staffing and office demand, since that would impact development.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 17th, 2013, 9:02 am

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 17th, 2013, 10:00 am

Hah. I've never cared for the name, either. I think Hubert H. Humphrey Park would be a fine alternative choice, given that we're tearing down the stadium with his name on it.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 17th, 2013, 10:46 am

really, i sorta liked monikor "the yard". personally find sandy colvin roy an aloof dunderhead herself. (from personal experience)

but naming after HHH would be cool, also.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » July 17th, 2013, 11:14 am

As Sandy Colvin Roy herself, I resent that remark.
"Who rescued whom!"

aeisenberg
Landmark Center

Postby aeisenberg » July 17th, 2013, 12:18 pm

really, i sorta liked monikor "the yard". personally find sandy colvin roy an aloof dunderhead herself. (from personal experience)

but naming after HHH would be cool, also.
As Sandy Colvin Roy herself, I resent that remark.
First off, Mullen, use spell check.
Second, GRAB YOUR POPCORN EVERYONE THIS FORUM JUST GOT REALLY GOOD.
Third, I just asked a disinterested co-worker, who agrees "It is a dumb name. 'The Yard' makes me think of a prison."
Aaron Eisenberg / Realtor, Keller Williams Integrity
612.568.5828 / [email protected] / 1350 Lagoon Ave #900
http://www.agentaaron.com

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 17th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Third, I just asked a disinterested co-worker, who agrees "It is a dumb name. 'The Yard' makes me think of a prison."
Well, it IS bordered by two jails! :D

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » July 17th, 2013, 12:35 pm

Nothing more vibrant than prisoners spending time on the yard!
Towns!

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 18th, 2013, 7:44 am

So, I don't know if this affects the towers and Wells deal, but a friend's brother was just laid off from WF yesterday along with 200 other people from the Home Mortgage office. Signs of anything bigger in their future staffing??

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » July 18th, 2013, 9:27 am

So, I don't know if this affects the towers and Wells deal, but a friend's brother was just laid off from WF yesterday along with 200 other people from the Home Mortgage office. Signs of anything bigger in their future staffing??
200? It's odd none of our local media outlets have covered these layoffs.

These were the only mass layoffs I could find for yesterday:

Money Mailer - 111
Denver Health - 300 in the Next Year
Iowa Workforce Development - 30
Performance Designed Products - Layoffs Reported
HealthFirst Bluegrass - 21 Positions?
Lovelace Health Plan - 43 Positions
United Airlines Albany Inter. Airport - 42
Incredible Labs - 25% of Staff
KCI - 100

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 18th, 2013, 2:20 pm

Wells has a history, on the Mortgage side, of hiring and firing large quantities of people without any notice. Many of them are contract workers or temps that don't necessarily show up on any umemployment stats. I remember during the hayday about 5-6 years ago they hired about 800 people in a 3 month span and nobody heard a peep. I've also seen 400 + people let go and nobody batted an eye. They are very good at forecasting how many people they need and will likely see an uptick again by the end of the year or early next year.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 19th, 2013, 7:59 am

http://www.foxillinois.com/news/local/M ... 12581.html

http://blogs.desmoinesregister.com/dmr/ ... fs/article

So sounds like the 200 number I was told was a) wrong and b) probably the number of people hit nationwide (~350). The guy said 45 on his floor were let go, so that might be the number for Minneapolis. I know these things happen and all other indications from WF seemed positive towards this location, but until anything is concrete we shouldn't get too excited.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » July 19th, 2013, 9:43 am

The full City Council unanimously approved the rough framework for the Ryan Co plan. One amendment to the plan was adopted. The amendment will require Ryan Co to pay fair market value for the 1/3 block piece of the park if they choose to develop it in the future.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 19th, 2013, 10:01 am

Awesome. Hopefully paying fair market value will make Ryan more likely to either build something good, or just leave it a park, as opposed to building another parking ramp or 6-story apt building there or something.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]