DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Anondson
IDS Center

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby Anondson » December 13th, 2013, 4:52 pm

What's Corbusian about this development?
Hmm. Not sure either, but clearly meant to insult?

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » December 13th, 2013, 10:25 pm

What's Corbusian about this development?
Hmm. Not sure either, but clearly meant to insult?
I just got owned.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » December 14th, 2013, 9:20 am

http://www.minnpost.com/politics-policy ... st-project

Interesting nugget in this:
Collins said the parking ramp itself would be equal to about six stories of a residential building and that the air rights could easily accommodate a building of six stories of office, hotel or residential space.
Sounds like this won't be a super-tall, and the design would need to be pretty majestic to be "iconic."

Still floored that the judge dismissed the claims so quickly. Between the Port Authority work-around to fund the thing based on Strib blocks being "marginal" and the funding for ramps exceeding the city's $150m contribution, seems like there was a case. I think this is better than nothing, to be sure, but if we have to stretch so many rules and spend so much, I'm just not sure if it's better than an alternative.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 14th, 2013, 9:30 am

I haven't read all of the articles about this, but it seems like one of the issues is that the city is subsidizing a park. Is there any other way that parks get built in the first place?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 14th, 2013, 10:00 am

Not in most cities, but in this fair city, parks are the job of the semi-autonomous Parks and Recreation Board, not the City Council. The Yard, however, is going through the City Council instead, which is apparently terrible. That's how I understand it, at least. I may be way off.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » December 14th, 2013, 12:05 pm

http://blogs.mprnews.org/stadium-watch/ ... nneapolis/

Recent stories in the media contain raise the anticipation of what will be built above the 6 1/2 story parking ramp that will rise adjacent to the stadium. Published reports indicate Mayor Ryback met with one developer yesterday and plans to meet another potential bidder early next week raising speculation that the announcement of another mega deal might me imminent. One story reported the ramp could currently support an additional 6 floors retail, hotel or housing above it.

However, the MPR report (linked above) has Ryback hinting at the possibility of a tower of much greater magnitude, using the phrase an "icon" on the city skyline.

A 50-story hotel, residential tower could be an amazing addition and complement the stadium and the Wells Fargo additions. Such a tower would also serve greater downtown, The University of Minnesota, Elliot Park's hospital industry, the Riverfront and Mill Districts, including the Guthrie Theater.

It will be interesting to see what emerges in the next few weeks.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » December 14th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Yes indeed. I'm pretty confident that all this talk about iconic and out of town developers flocking to present plans Isn't going to yield to 6 or 7 stories atop a huge ramp. This will something big- I wouldn't be surprised if it were 50 stories.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » December 14th, 2013, 1:22 pm

Haha, fifty stories on a lot currently surrounded by parking. I think it would be surprising for a proposal to be taller than the Wells Fargo buildings. Honestly, if a ten story building were placed above the ramp it would be a pretty big win and would soak up less demand, hence raising the possibility of more development in the area.

A fifty story building this far from the core is extremely unlikely of course but would really goof up demand and probably cause a massive rise in vacancies, freezing downtown development for a long time. So I'm hoping for something similar to the Wells Fargo buildings here. This neighborhood would be better served by lots of buildings than by a couple really tall ones.

skyrab

Postby skyrab » December 14th, 2013, 2:39 pm

Haha, fifty stories on a lot currently surrounded by parking. I think it would be surprising for a proposal to be taller than the Wells Fargo buildings. Honestly, if a ten story building were placed above the ramp it would be a pretty big win and would soak up less demand, hence raising the possibility of more development in the area.

A fifty story building this far from the core is extremely unlikely of course but would really goof up demand and probably cause a massive rise in vacancies, freezing downtown development for a long time. So I'm hoping for something similar to the Wells Fargo buildings here. This neighborhood would be better served by lots of buildings than by a couple really tall ones.
I hear what you are saying (not sure about height); yet, on the other hand this could be ideal for a large hotel for visitors/tourists/events/new stadium events to MSP. Imagine landing at MSP, take the LRT to this hotel, go to MOA and back on LRT, catch your big event at the new stadium or Guthrie or any other cultural exhibit/event. This is thinking big and what we envy/admire in places we travel to and admire. Perhaps the recent meetings and move by RT Rybak is an end-around the delays of a the heavily politicized, city-subsidized proposed Convention Center hotel and brings development and tourist dollars (without pissing off the hotels currently vested around the Convention Center). IDK but the sky really is the limit IMO.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 14th, 2013, 3:15 pm

Skyrab, your analysis makes sense. If the city is subsidizing the parking ramp already , they would avoid the political conflict of yet another subsidy for a large hotel. Also, the location is great by the LRT and stadium, and it wouldn't feel nearly as threatening to the hotels that are already located close the Convention Center. Our Mayor appears to have some inside info on potential big league developers interested in the parking ramp site, or I doubt he would use the word "iconic" to describe the possible project. I guess I was initially skeptical of something big here but life is full of surprises.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 14th, 2013, 3:26 pm

Perhaps it will be a Santiago Calatrava designed parking ramp :)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » December 14th, 2013, 3:34 pm

not that I would be opposed to it at all, but i do feel like a 50 story tower here might look strange. but who knows, maybe in 30 years this neighborhood will be filled with them!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 14th, 2013, 5:04 pm

^^^ I agree with you. Ideally, the very tall buildings should be concentrated in the CBD where they already exist. I pretty much feel neutral about whether they build something 15 or 50 stories here. I think more importantly the ramp should look as discreet as possible with the first couple levels (at least) oriented to the pedestrian. No more Centre Villages!

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » December 14th, 2013, 6:56 pm

Skyrab and John might just be on to something - something big, something out of the box size-wise and, yes, something potentially iconic.

A 50-story hotel, residential, complex might not be so far fetched after all. Five years ago, Marriot partnered with The Ritz Carlton to build a 50-story building across from the Staples Center and LA Live in Los Angeles. The hotel has prospered despite being the tallest tower in the area. Not only has it prospered, it has spawned another hotel tower set to open next year across the street as well as a massive Regal Theater complex on the adjacent corner.

As a lame-duck Mayor, Ryback has a unique opportunity to make one more lasting mark, circumventing the reflexive NIMBY reactionists that normally try to tar such mega projects.

I like Skyrab's idea of being able to fly into MSP for a Twins or Vikings weekend, hoping the LRT at the airport and checking into a sky rise suite at a new resort hotel next door to the new stadium. Build an amazing outdoor swimming pool with pool-side drink service and a luxury spa and salon for the wife and viola, destination Minneapolis! Friday night: Shakespeare at the Guthrie; Saturday, a Gopher home game; Sunday afternoon The Vikings -- all connected via LRT to a flagship hotel complex.

Construction of a 50-story hotel adjacent to the new stadium would do even more to heighten Minneapolis as a serious competitor for a coming Super Bowl; NCAA Final Four Basketball Tournament, or political convention.

Such a hotel would likely become a preferred meeting place for conferences, informal lobby meetings and could spur new premiere development along nearby Washington Avenue.

This has the potential to be a true game-changer, adding development fuel to Downtown East. C'mon RT, we're rooting for you to announce something big!

City slicker

Postby City slicker » December 14th, 2013, 6:57 pm

My greatest hope for this east side is the park. I live in Glendale Az in the winter near west-gate by the University of Phoenix stadium where the Cardinals play. (And Coyotes) That whole area (westgate) has numerous restaurants, a large hotel, shops theaters, condos and a small park. It's a great place to hang-out. I'd love to see the East side develop like that.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 14th, 2013, 7:10 pm

So what we're looking for here is the Sheraton-Ritz circa 1965?

Snark aside, I can easily imagine a large hotel being part of this project and I'm surprisedone hasn't been announced yet. With some backing from Wilf investments, Radisson (the one on 7th soon to be an upscale Blu), Sofitel (or any Accor brand), or Sheraton could brand a large project.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » December 14th, 2013, 7:32 pm

That would be iconic if it were 1965. Seriously though, the vikings stadium is almost 300 ft tall on one end. To be as special and iconic and all the other hyped words being used about this, I'm thinking this would have to rise up in the sky pretty high, and have a sleek look to it being so close to such a monstrous stadium. I'm betting 40 or more stories.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » December 14th, 2013, 7:45 pm

https://www.google.com/search?q=vdara+p ... B319%3B450

What if was something like Vdara in Los Vegas! That would be iconic indeed.

City slicker

Postby City slicker » December 14th, 2013, 9:01 pm

Totally love the look of it. Would look good and fit in well with the stadium.

Tcmetro
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Tcmetro » December 14th, 2013, 10:34 pm

This is really off topic but what happened to the Sheraton ritz?