DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Re: Downtown East Project (Ryan Companies / Wells Fargo)

Postby seanrichardryan » April 3rd, 2014, 8:20 pm

Kinda hackin' those medallions out aren't they.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » April 4th, 2014, 6:40 am

Kinda hackin' those medallions out aren't they.
Yeah, they are! Does anyone remember if that gouge in the top of the one in the video was already there?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » April 8th, 2014, 8:46 am

Meet Rick Collins, VP of Development at Ryan Cos: http://finance-commerce.com/2014/04/poi ... town-east/

P.S. If you want to talk about the Strib's move to Capella Tower, that conversation is happening in the Downtown Office Market topic.

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » April 8th, 2014, 8:57 pm

Looks like they have most of the asphalt ripped up as of today, so I suppose the digging will start soon. It's exciting to see this finally getting started. Good riddance to these surface lots.
Will this park have a public art component like Millennium Park in Chicago ?
Born in Minneapolis.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 8th, 2014, 9:56 pm

I don't think they'll be verbal, unless we get into it at a happy hour.

To actually answer your question, AccordGuy, I haven't heard anything about it, but I don't think the park design has really been nailed down beyond "1.6 blocks large, split by a county road, and will contain a large open space for Vikings Festivities." I'd like to see some kind of public art in a space this large, definitely.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

AccordGuy
Metrodome

Postby AccordGuy » April 10th, 2014, 5:18 pm

On my way home I noticed that some piles are stacked on site, and digging has commenced. The sidewalks are also getting the protective scaffolding. I'm getting used to this project and have come around to appreciate what it will do for the area even though I still wish it were taller.
Born in Minneapolis.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 10th, 2014, 5:52 pm

I noticed that some of the Jersey barriers installed along the Chicago Ave side have giant concrete footings to attach temporary lights. Which makes me think the streetlights are coming down. Which makes me wonder if the curb will get redone. Which makes me wonder if the streets could be calmed.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 10th, 2014, 9:41 pm

I didn't realize they were salvaging the lettering on the arch as well but today it said somrthing like "AR D BUNE"

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 15th, 2014, 12:47 pm

Slightly off topic.

I know at some point someone brought up the idea of that squat black Wells Fargo buiding on Washington and 3rd getting redeveloped due to these new Wells Fargo buildings. I can't seem to find the post though. Anyways, maybe this isn't news to everyone, but it is news to me, this building is actually a lot bigger than meets the eye. This building actually extends several floors below grade (seven in total i was told) and houses the production datacenter for Wells Fargo. Also, there are tunnels that connect said building to some of the surrounding buildings. I thought this was pretty neat to know, but also sad in that this building isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Just though I'd share some useless information to help get everyone through a tuesday.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 15th, 2014, 1:33 pm

That building is a lot like the Old Fed Reserve Building on Marquette. The OF was as big below ground as it was above ground. It was interesting that that building's below grades levels actually filled up before most of the tower part due to the security that the underground gave to those wanting it. It also was the part of the building that had the highest rent for the complex, due to the high security. I believe that when the WF operations building was built they also had security issues that they wanted to address so that is why they went below grade for most of that building.

Like the Old Fed building. This building would be a major chuck of change to redevelop the whole site. The best we can hope for is someone coming in and working to redevelop the plaza and upper levels of this building. Not sure it can be done. But I think that it would still be cheaper than what they would have to do to fill in or develop new footing for a new building.

This will hopefully make others think twice that the WFO can just be torn down and easily replace. I see them maybe doing a job similar to the addition to the OF and making it a more street friendly building and get rid of that mirrored curtain wall and maybe add some square footage above the center. Whether WF stays put or leaves, that secure space is a premium here in MPLS and can be specially marketed to companies that have needs for high security.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » April 15th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Slightly off topic.

I know at some point someone brought up the idea of that squat black Wells Fargo buiding on Washington and 3rd getting redeveloped due to these new Wells Fargo buildings. I can't seem to find the post though. Anyways, maybe this isn't news to everyone, but it is news to me, this building is actually a lot bigger than meets the eye. This building actually extends several floors below grade (seven in total i was told) and houses the production datacenter for Wells Fargo. Also, there are tunnels that connect said building to some of the surrounding buildings. I thought this was pretty neat to know, but also sad in that this building isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Just though I'd share some useless information to help get everyone through a tuesday.
I actually worked as a temp for one 12 hour shift in that building on sub-basement 3 or whatever floor it was. Quite secure and ominous down there. They had what appeared to be mission control down there with huge wall displays and workstations etc.

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » April 15th, 2014, 5:34 pm

I worked underground in the Norwest Operations Center in '89. Yep, quite a few floors down there.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 16th, 2014, 5:22 pm

A little off topic from the current discussion, but is there any word of when the park just west of the new stadium will be completed? Will it be before or after 2016?

tab
Metrodome

Postby tab » April 16th, 2014, 9:46 pm

Probably concurrent with the stadium opening, because the park is part of the overall fan logistics with the pre & post-game events. It's a quicker thing to build than the surrounding towers & stadium, thus the head start for those elements.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » April 21st, 2014, 2:49 pm

Smashie smashie! (I will not be as gleeful to see the other two buildings come down.)

http://www.startribune.com/local/blogs/256068231.html

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » April 26th, 2014, 4:49 pm

Demolition is continuing along on the Star tribune Freeman building. The Skyway linking the freeman building and the main star tribune building is a big pile of rubble now. You can check it out on the webcam. Aerial View. http://www.vikings.com/stadium/new-stadium/webcam.html

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » April 28th, 2014, 7:14 am

It's exciting to see some real work actually being done here. We're going to see construction on this side of downtown for another 3-4 years. It's simply amazing.

schmitzm03
Nicollet Mall

Postby schmitzm03 » May 4th, 2014, 8:35 pm

The demolition of the newer Star Tribune building is going much more quickly than I had thought. I saw it from the stadium webcam sometime this week and I could have sworn twice as much of the building was still standing than what can be seen in this pic from this afternnon:

mulad

Postby mulad » May 6th, 2014, 7:33 pm

Yeah, seems to be disappearing pretty quickly -- this was from the opposite side on May 4th. Seemed like Godzilla stopped by for a snack bar...

img_8019 by Mulad, on Flickr

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 7th, 2014, 6:12 am

ceremonial groundbreaking next Tues.
http://kstp.com/article/stories/S3425177.shtml?cat=7/