DTE: Wells Fargo, Radisson Red, Edition Apts & Millwright Building

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
TWA
Nicollet Mall

Re: Star Tribune Blocks

Postby TWA » June 5th, 2013, 6:59 am

I don't see why they couldn't just make a massive pedestrian bridge over the streets- I mean great bridges can even become a focal point (see millenium bridge in london, or better example, the bridge by millenium park in chicago...)

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » June 5th, 2013, 7:19 am

Or Washington avenue at coffman?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » June 5th, 2013, 8:42 am

I completely agree with Twincitizen. It sounds like there is a lack of money for a huge, well programmed park, and there is a lack of willpower to close Park and Portland to create a superblock park.

Just create a one-block park, make it great, shut down Park Ave on gamedays to connect the park to the stadium plaza and light rail. Now you have another block (adjacent to the new park) to develop and tax. Ryan Co already wanted rights to develop on 1/6 of the new park, if we create a one-block park, they can develop their other vision on the vacant block next to the County Jail.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » June 5th, 2013, 8:51 am

thus the RiverFirst project, my opinion, is more essential to fast track,
I agree, and maybe it is moving forward, but it seems rather stagnant. And, there are even fewer January Molasses entities involved in RIverFirst than the clusterfook that is this Star Tribune development. I foresee Ryan doing the parking ramp and maybe a 1000-footer. And by that, I mean a skyway.

MS3

Postby MS3 » June 5th, 2013, 9:25 am

I'm starting to dislike this Ryan proposal more and more. It's stirring the pot with so much uncertainty and opinion. Though not a bad idea for this spot, I think parks are for the suburbs. And the twin office tower looks like something perfect for Bloomington or Edina. Perhaps thats a big reason why WF isn't quick to jump on board, after all look at their tower compared to this.I like mumfordsmoses's post yesterday- totally agree.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » June 5th, 2013, 10:54 am

...I think parks are for the suburbs.
Could you elaborate on this a bit? Certainly some park forms are not appropriate for urban areas, but parks seem to be not only well-suited for urban areas, but even fundamental to their success.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 5th, 2013, 11:33 am

I'm not sure what MS3 meant by parks are for the suburbs, but certainly YARDS are emblematic of the suburbs, so I have to question RT Rybak's urban credentials and even his sanity (or more fairly, his level of commitment) for agreeing to use that term for this park.

As someone who pays a premium to live in Downtown Minneapolis because it is basically the only urban living option available in the state of Minnesota, I'd be insulted if the City built a McMansion with a huge front yard for the Vikings here.
"Who rescued whom!"

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 5th, 2013, 11:49 am

I'm not sure what MS3 meant by parks are for the suburbs, but certainly YARDS are emblematic of the suburbs, so I have to question RT Rybak's urban credentials and even his sanity (or more fairly, his level of commitment) for agreeing to use that term for this park.

As someone who pays a premium to live in Downtown Minneapolis because it is basically the only urban living option available in the state of Minnesota, I'd be insulted if the City built a McMansion with a huge front yard for the Vikings here.

Wait, so now the mayor is insane for referring to this planned park as a "front yard" for the stadium? Come on. This thread just gets more and more ridiculous. It is a figure of speech. Sheesh.
Last edited by mnmike on June 5th, 2013, 11:59 am, edited 3 times in total.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 5th, 2013, 11:51 am

Based on this thread, apparently New York City-style concrete jungle is the only kind of true urban city.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » June 5th, 2013, 11:54 am

Based on this thread, apparently New York City-style concrete jungle is the only kind of true urban city.
Right? But with no cars or parking spaces, and only people walking or riding bikes. I think I best stop reading it for my own sanity.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » June 5th, 2013, 12:02 pm

Wait, so now the mayor is insane for referring to this planned park as a "front yard" for the stadium? Come on. This thread just gets more and more riduculous. It is a figure of speech.
Agreed. I guess we could call it The People's Pasture.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » June 5th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Who would make the case that NYC is a concrete jungle? 4% of Manhattan's land is devoted just to Central Park, to say nothing of the rest of the spaces. Other that the one commenter who said parks are for suburbs, I don't know anyone here who's said let's scrap this project - only discussing the fine details given all the new info coming out each day.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 5th, 2013, 12:08 pm

Shut up and let us get drunk on some featureless grassy space
You guys should maybe learn something about urban development before commenting on an urban development forum. Front yards have long been emblematic of suburban development. Please see Kenneth Jackson, Ebenezer Howard, Frederic Law Olmstead, Frank Lloyd Wright, etc. The fact that the mayor uses this figure of speech suggest that he is just as ignorant of the history of American cities as you three are, or that he doesn't care. Both are problematic.
"Who rescued whom!"

Architorture
Metrodome

Postby Architorture » June 5th, 2013, 12:12 pm

Let’s get this discussion turned another away. (Maybe this has already been discussed but there are a 40+ of pages on this topic.)

Programming for the park needs to be thoroughly studied. The low density on this side of town creates interesting complications. The park will primarily be a destination point for people on foot or bikes, they need to to a good job to attract people to it during the day (lunch crowd, nice public plazas) and during the evenings (events, ice skating). If programmed correctly and development on this side of town occurs hopefully the space can develop into something like Copley Square in Boston. However, if development remains slow I would hate for it to be a reincarnation of the fabled gateway park filled with vagabonds and pan handlers. I also think keeping the streets is important to keep eyes on the park for a general sense of security. I view this as an urban park full of activity not an nature preserve.

I also feel that the city should invest in parks and public infrastructure and develop ideas through zoning, let private development/ capitalism determine the rest. (Sorry Ryan)

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » June 5th, 2013, 12:39 pm

You guys should maybe learn something about urban development before commenting on an urban development forum. Front yards have long been emblematic of suburban development. Please see Kenneth Jackson, Ebenezer Howard, Frederic Law Olmstead, Frank Lloyd Wright, etc. The fact that the mayor uses this figure of speech suggest that he is just as ignorant of the history of American cities as you three are, or that he doesn't care. Both are problematic.
"Yard" has a lot of uses besides the front yard, including in reference to common open spaces in towns. See, for example, Harvard Yard.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 5th, 2013, 12:49 pm

Harvard Yard, of course, being named for the resemblance to the yard of an English Manorial estate, which was also an inspiration for the exaggerated front yard of typical suburban American homes. I believe I already referenced Olmstead. Maybe it's a reference to the three feet included in a yardstick, which has its parallels in the three blocks that will here be wasted on open lawns.
"Who rescued whom!"

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » June 5th, 2013, 12:54 pm

yard 2 (yärd)
n.
1. A tract of ground next to, surrounding, or surrounded by a building or buildings.
2. A tract of ground, often enclosed, used for a specific business or activity.
3. An area where railroad trains are made up and cars are switched, stored, and serviced on tracks and sidings

Pretty sure that "Yard" works for this park.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » June 5th, 2013, 12:57 pm

I actually have said this before, but never in this thread. I'm not defending a featureless grassy space because I think "The Yard" is a perfectly fine name for this park. I know what a suburban yard is. I also know that a house is found in a residential area, but that doesn't mean I disagree with International House of Pancakes being found in a commercial zone.

On less mind-numbing note, I like what gpete said about perhaps bringing this park down to 1 block. If it does go 2-blocks, I'd like to see a common risen element (a mini High Line of sorts) that's built up with soil in the park parcels and then decks over Portland and Park, or just some other constructed, elevated walkway. I don't think dipping Portland and Park under at-grade walkways is my favorite choice.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » June 5th, 2013, 12:59 pm

It's too small to be a park and too big to be a yard. I'm calling it a yark.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 5th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I don't expect a lot of deep thinking on this board, but I do expect a politician to be aware of the power of words and the ways they can be associated.
"Who rescued whom!"