North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby Archiapolis » June 1st, 2015, 7:29 am

Yeah I was going to clarify last night. To me it just feels like it's missing something. And I'm especially getting a bit tired of esg. Next to stacks, this just looks odd. And I realize that the amenity deck is there because of the sun, but these people are so low. Their view will be the highway. Unless the developers know something we don't know. I'd rather like to see a full rectangular warehouse type apartment with a roof amenity. I'd just make a lot more sense to me.
Sadly, developers are NEVER going to do what is better for the neighborhoods/city. They'll always orient these amenities to the sun even its to the detriment of the street view...

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 1st, 2015, 7:38 am

I especially like the 'ghosted' magi-paks.
Is this a legitimate comment?
Seems to greatly downplay their actual visual intrusion in the rhythm of openings , but as you said, it's schematic. Thought they seem to have wanted to convey actual finishes.
This is a Sketchup model and unless the city pushes them they aren't going to make the Magic Paks look more "real." We HATE those things visually on the outside of a building so we are always trying to find ways to downplay them but this is just an architect going, "I'm just going to throw a box in here and make no attempt at reality because reality is ugly."

Junction Flats actually spent some money to hide them/integrate them into a more "decorative" louver.

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » June 1st, 2015, 7:42 am

I don't think the renderings are schematic... I think they are true to color and detail, it's white brick and mortar which make it look kind of like an unfinished sketch up design, but I think it's fully rendered. I wouldn't be surprised if the magic packs are actually white like that.

I don't think the orientation of this building is improper at all, I think they made the right decision with the light well. Considering passive solar design techniques.

Also we're all routing for the 4 th street viaduct to come down at some point right?

This gives me a very hip bauhaus kind of vibe that I think is very different for esg. If they can't change the building type/structure/shape at least this design accomplishes differentiating itself from they other new buildings and fitting in with the historic neighborhood without looking like a yawner.

My big question is: is this s matte white brick or glazed brick that has a bit of a gloss to it. That would be pretty cool.
I agree that the "monolithic" white brick could be pretty cool and is a good fit for the warehouse district. The window patterns also are a good fit.

I say that this is schematic because it is definitely NOT a rendering - this imagery is straight out of Sketchup.

The questions being brought up about what the brick actually "is" demonstrates the schematic nature of this...

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » June 1st, 2015, 2:25 pm

New brewery and tap room proposed in the North Loop, next to the Bookmen Lofts (which I'm moving into tonight so now I'm even more excited).

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -knee.html

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » June 1st, 2015, 2:35 pm

New brewery and tap room proposed in the North Loop, next to the Bookmen Lofts (which I'm moving into tonight so now I'm even more excited).

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... -knee.html
This is really great news!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 1st, 2015, 2:40 pm

Oh I can not wait to see those plans released! I hope this means exterior renovations with a deck parallel to 5th. Perfect place for one is my opinion. Also makes me hope Steelcase is still a thing.

nfschauer
Nicollet Mall

Postby nfschauer » June 1st, 2015, 9:29 pm

I'm pumped, they need to at least double the size of their current brewery. I was always wondering why there wasn't a "brewery only" thread on here. Maybe someone who has more tenure than me could do that?

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » June 2nd, 2015, 4:34 am

This isn't an extension of Dangerous Man is it? I read this as the head brewer from DM and a few other from other breweries were quitting and starting a new brewery, Modist.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » June 2nd, 2015, 7:00 am

Yeah, they're already in the process of expanding their current brewery / taproom. This is an offshoot from the DM head brewer and several other people.

Elsinore000
Block E

Postby Elsinore000 » June 2nd, 2015, 7:06 am

I don't think it's an extension of Dangerous Man, which makes it even more confusing because I've heard from friends in the industry that Lucid decided to open their taproom in the same general area, instead of Minnetonka. It sounds like this is even completely separate from that. So, 2 new taprooms right around Fulton? I'm ok with that.

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » June 2nd, 2015, 8:20 am

I don't think it's an extension of Dangerous Man, which makes it even more confusing because I've heard from friends in the industry that Lucid decided to open their taproom in the same general area, instead of Minnetonka. It sounds like this is even completely separate from that. So, 2 new taprooms right around Fulton? I'm ok with that.
From the article: Modist Brewing Co. is helmed by Dangerous Man Brewing Co. head brewer Keigan Knee and Lucid Brewing packaging and logistics employees John Donnelly and Kale Anderson...The four don't know when they'll leave their current jobs.

Sounds like one new taproom with soon-to-be former employees of DM and Lucid.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » June 2nd, 2015, 8:35 am

In a Facebook post linking the to Business Journal article, Dangerous Man says:
Our own Keigan Knee will be leaving us for his own adventure! It has been an amazing ride with him and he will be missed. We are excited to support him and looking forward to all the great things Modist Brewing Co. will bring. Cheers buddy!!
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dangerou ... 1174644485

Elsinore000
Block E

Postby Elsinore000 » June 2nd, 2015, 8:48 am

Here's the info I was looking for:

https://bolstr.com/the-vault/lucid-brew ... expansion/

Eric Bierman of Lucid specifically mentions adding their taproom "just a few blocks away from Target Field". So, Modist and Lucid are two different taproom projects in almost the same spot.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 2nd, 2015, 11:09 am

Brew City

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » June 12th, 2015, 11:18 am

As referenced in an F&C article that I won't bother linking to as it's locked hard, Metro Transit is making progress on its Heywood campus expansion plans:

http://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meeting ... g-ppt.aspx

It looks like among the best possible plans for a campus which features two huge bus garages, although it's one thing to claim that active uses will front 10th and it's another thing to actually find active uses to front 10th (I would suggest a Ragstock to honor the dearly departed warehouse store). Ditto for the "re-imagine[d] surface parking." The rooftop solar and parking (the latter only planned for Heywood II) should be more achievable, although I don't know why they'd need to retain surface parking (on the interior of the superblock between 5th, Olson, 7th, and 10th Ave) if they have a 4 acre garage roof to put it on. Also noteworthy, the plan designates as "potential TOD site" the existing parking lot that I believe twincitizen once charmingly referred to as the Rape Lot.

This is from the 6/8 Met Council Transportation Committee meeting, by the way, which also had a presentation of some concepts for the Transit Police/Bro Pension Authority building:

http://metrocouncil.org/Council-Meeting ... e-ppt.aspx

Looks like a decent facility for a pointless, duplicative, bro-subsidizing agency.

(Btw I begrudgingly place this item in North Loop Neighborhood despite the fact that this isn't really the North Loop.)
"Who rescued whom!"

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » June 25th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Here's the detail on the Lucid brewery. So this is just north of Fulton, across from Junction Flats, correct?

http://www.journalmpls.com/news-feed/lu ... north-loop

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » June 25th, 2015, 5:53 pm

holmstar
Nicollet Mall

Postby holmstar » June 26th, 2015, 7:26 am

Named "Eric Biermann" --> Founds brewery.

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » June 26th, 2015, 8:21 pm

I always thought that building would make a great brewery... Glad its Lucid, as I enjoy their beers more than some of the newer breweries.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » June 29th, 2015, 12:36 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/n ... proom.html

Total conformation that it's that building