North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby MNdible » December 9th, 2016, 10:50 am

RBY, just to clarify -- when I said a "public ramp", I didn't mean to suggest that the city should necessarily own or operate it, just that it should be a ramp that's targeted for public transient use.

That said, like other infrastructure projects, a well-designed and well-located parking structure should make adjacent retail properties more valuable, and there is precedent for a special services district organized by the city providing parking for area businesses.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 9th, 2016, 11:12 am

Hey, there's one of those planned for 3rd and 5th! If the neighborhood stops trying to kill it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » December 9th, 2016, 1:11 pm

Serious question: Something I really like about the North Loop right now is that most of the streets are two lane two way streets. Few turn lanes, few stoplights (mostly 4-way stops), and generally calm enough traffic levels that crossing streets mid block is pretty straightforward. How would more accommodations for cars change that?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 9th, 2016, 1:43 pm

I assume that the reason that the North Loop is like is this is that almost none of the roads are useful as thru-traffic routes (Washington Avenue being the obvious exception), so all of the traffic is coming from or going to local destinations. I don't think anything short of massive changes to the road network will meaningfully change that.

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » December 9th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Serious question: Something I really like about the North Loop right now is that most of the streets are two lane two way streets. Few turn lanes, few stoplights (mostly 4-way stops), and generally calm enough traffic levels that crossing streets mid block is pretty straightforward. How would more accommodations for cars change that?
I think the bigger impact on traffic will be all the new development bringing more residents and visitors into the North Loop. There's currently a lot of accommodations for vehicles in the area even if they aren't the most visible, as the surface lots are transformed into multi-use buildings you'll lose parking options which will force some to take alternative transportation options (metro transit, carpool, Uber, bicycles, etc...), while others will still utilize their cars and will circle around the blocks several times to find an available space. As visually tacky as they can be it might be prudent for the City to look at deploying overhead dynamic signage that guides drivers to the hourly ramps. As mentioned before ramp B has plenty of available space, but it can be confusing for many already in the NL how to access it, even turning 2nd Ave into a 2-way street might help.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 9th, 2016, 2:00 pm

50th & France is able to accommodate parking for all its shoppers with 2-3 large public ramps mostly hidden from plain sight, along with plentiful street parking, and that seems to work pretty well. Can something similar apply in NL? Does anyone know how the 50th & France ramps are managed?

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » December 9th, 2016, 2:08 pm

50th & France is able to accommodate parking for all its shoppers with 2-3 large public ramps mostly hidden from plain sight, along with plentiful street parking, and that seems to work pretty well. Can something similar apply in NL? Does anyone know how the 50th & France ramps are managed?
The city of Edina owns and operates the ramps

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » December 9th, 2016, 2:41 pm

In the past 8 years I've noticed a couple changes as the population and number of businesses in the neighborhood have grown.

1) More days where the side streets are packed during rush hour. Mainly Washington and the side streets south of and including 3rd Ave. That's going to keep increasing until it really spills out onto Hennepin and other major streets.

2) More dog shit everywhere! Seriously, if you have a dog, pick up after it... even when there is snow. I think it's most frustrating for us other dog owners. Sorry, unrelated topic, but incredibly frustrating.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » December 9th, 2016, 2:42 pm

Edina is also complaining that Minneapolis freeloads off Edina's free parking ramps.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 9th, 2016, 2:49 pm

Edina is also complaining that Minneapolis freeloads off Edina's free parking ramps.
Yeah, I recall that argument, but generally speaking it works pretty well. Some people just like to complain (or be a-holes).

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » December 9th, 2016, 3:08 pm

It's also kind of a selective argument. The presence of the ramps probably brings in additional Minneapolis shoppers who live at a sufficient distance to make non-auto trips impractical (whether objectively or merely subjectively).

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » December 12th, 2016, 10:05 am

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 14th, 2016, 7:53 am

Did this end up getting approved last night?
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

dajazz
Nicollet Mall

Postby dajazz » December 14th, 2016, 10:40 am

Did this end up getting approved last night?
Yes, 4-1

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 14th, 2016, 1:51 pm

That was just HPC though, right? It still needs Planning Commission approval (and City Council, if any of these busybodies appeal the PC decision)

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » December 15th, 2016, 12:16 am

Expect to see another Greco project soon

http://finance-commerce.com/2016/12/gre ... loop-site/

Just bought the warehouse at 715 N 2nd St

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 15th, 2016, 12:20 pm

After driving around for 15 minutes trying to find a parking spot to meet for lunch at Red Rabbit, I understand the parking frustrations. All the lots are contract during the day, and the meters don't seem to turn. Perhaps reexamining the 4! hour time limit on meters is in order.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 15th, 2016, 12:28 pm

Since I haven't read the book, what would Donald Shoup say about time limit lengths? We know he'd say "raise the price to ensure availability", but I'm genuinely curious what the research has shown on time limits...

transplant
Metrodome

Postby transplant » December 15th, 2016, 12:29 pm

The meters don't turn because office workers park and use the app to pay all day. Not sure about the price around Red Rabbit but around Freehouse along 3rd street they are 25 cents an hour which means you can park for an entire work day for a couple dollars. Even at $1 per hour it is reasonable for a day compared to ramps. I am not generally a fan of adding parking ramps in urban locations but something has to give. The public transit is not very good in North Loop so people continue to drive.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » December 15th, 2016, 12:48 pm

I feel like if there's enough demand to warrant meters, there's enough demand for the limit to be no more than two hours.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]