North Loop Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Re: North Loop Neighborhood

Postby ztr421 » August 25th, 2017, 1:06 pm

The sidewalks outside the TractorWorks Building and the warehouse condos across the street (801 Washington) are getting some planter spaces installed (jack-hammered out the concrete and prepping for plantings and/or trees, from the looks of it). Does anyone know if this is part of a city project? Or just the buildings? Hopefully the answer isn't a simply google because I only half-heartedly looked... It'll be nice to have some trees, though.

swallman
Metrodome

Postby swallman » August 25th, 2017, 2:09 pm

The sidewalks outside the TractorWorks Building and the warehouse condos across the street (801 Washington) are getting some planter spaces installed (jack-hammered out the concrete and prepping for plantings and/or trees, from the looks of it). Does anyone know if this is part of a city project? Or just the buildings? Hopefully the answer isn't a simply google because I only half-heartedly looked... It'll be nice to have some trees, though.
Found this bit of info in North Loop org. minutes from back in April...

vi. The 800-900 block of Washington is all set to go with the tree planting program. Each tree requires 500 cubic feet of dirt removed so as to provide aerated soil under the concrete. Mark hopes to be able to keep all the required work at the planned pricing level.
vii. The City plans to plant about 60 trees – 30 of which have already been planted. Because the North Loop is outside of DID boundaries, S&S Watering Services seem to be a better fit, but the Board will keep DID in the loop on its plantings.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » August 25th, 2017, 3:30 pm

I can't remember where it was, but there was a fundraiser a couple of months ago to raise money for more trees in the NL. Not sure if this has anything to do with that or not.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 29th, 2017, 10:40 am

If anyone can make it to the open house at the library today, 5:30-7, that'd be great!

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/cip/fut ... provements

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » August 29th, 2017, 1:27 pm

If anyone can make it to the open house at the library today, 5:30-7, that'd be great!

http://www.ci.minneapolis.mn.us/cip/fut ... provements
I'm going to try to get there (by "open house" I'm assuming this is a come-and-go type meeting, and not something with a definite agenda?).

It looks like they are also covering the 2019 repaving project with this:

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/cip/future/WCMSP-200196

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » August 30th, 2017, 9:13 am

So I did go to the open house for the repaving and pedestrian improvements projects. They had handouts of the preliminary paving plans that I imagine will be online soon. Lots of proposed trees, which will be nice. Pavers are proposed for 3rd Street N between 7th Ave N and 10th Ave N, and then 8th Ave and 9th Ave between 3rd St and Washington. All other streets and the intersections to be pavement. I asked why pavers weren't proposed for 5th Ave N and they said because it has higher traffic volumes (although 6th Ave is pretty high traffic and it has already had the pavers put in...).

For the pedestrian improvements, they may do curb bump-outs to increase visibility and reduce the crossing distance. I pointed out that the painted crosswalks at Washington/8th and 4th Ave N/2nd St are nearly useless because drivers seem to think stopping is optional. They may put the blinking lights at a few, but probably not many because they are reserved for areas around schools or other vulnerable populations. Basically it seems like nothing is really planned for the pedestrian improvements, but I imagine they will have specifics for the next project deliverable in November 2017.

As I said, I mentioned Washington to them, even it's a county road and not part of this project. He said comments on Washington will be relayed to the county, and that the city and county aren't completely siloed on these projects, but this is a frustrating thing. It would be nice if some of these projects could be carried out in a comprehensive way based on the needs of an entire area. As it is, we'll have these great (hopefully) pedestrian improvements on these two islands separated by Washington, which will still be difficult to cross.

Sacrelicio
Union Depot

Postby Sacrelicio » August 30th, 2017, 9:30 am

So I did go to the open house for the repaving and pedestrian improvements projects. They had handouts of the preliminary paving plans that I imagine will be online soon. Lots of proposed trees, which will be nice. Pavers are proposed for 3rd Street N between 7th Ave N and 10th Ave N, and then 8th Ave and 9th Ave between 3rd St and Washington. All other streets and the intersections to be pavement. I asked why pavers weren't proposed for 5th Ave N and they said because it has higher traffic volumes (although 6th Ave is pretty high traffic and it has already had the pavers put in...).

For the pedestrian improvements, they may do curb bump-outs to increase visibility and reduce the crossing distance. I pointed out that the painted crosswalks at Washington/8th and 4th Ave N/2nd St are nearly useless because drivers seem to think stopping is optional. They may put the blinking lights at a few, but probably not many because they are reserved for areas around schools or other vulnerable populations. Basically it seems like nothing is really planned for the pedestrian improvements, but I imagine they will have specifics for the next project deliverable in November 2017.

As I said, I mentioned Washington to them, even it's a county road and not part of this project. He said comments on Washington will be relayed to the county, and that the city and county aren't completely siloed on these projects, but this is a frustrating thing. It would be nice if some of these projects could be carried out in a comprehensive way based on the needs of an entire area. As it is, we'll have these great (hopefully) pedestrian improvements on these two islands separated by Washington, which will still be difficult to cross.
I cross at 8th and Washington every day and it can be downright scary at times. Despite there being no passing lane I've seen drivers try to use the bike lane to pass cars stopped for the crosswalk and I've seen some drivers get close to rear-ending cars stopped for the crosswalk. There's gonna be a bad injury or fatality one of these days.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 14th, 2017, 8:49 am

'Basset Creek Parking Lot Development' being presented by Schafer Richardson at the Sept. 20th NL Z&P meeting.

https://2w5swnzapmf232d0u3vwgc1u-wpengi ... r-2017.pdf

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 11th, 2017, 1:38 pm

This already looks way better. I'll grab a picture when I ride by again.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 11th, 2017, 2:39 pm

Www.Borealismpls.com

The Sherman project on the Acme comedy club lot

Silophant

Postby Silophant » October 11th, 2017, 2:55 pm

Can't help but notice that Acme hasn't gone under yet. Weird how that works.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » October 11th, 2017, 3:06 pm

"It's kinda hard to park there, let's take an Uber"

Who drives to a comedy club, where you're probably going to drink, anyways?

seamonster
Nicollet Mall

Postby seamonster » October 12th, 2017, 7:57 am

Www.Borealismpls.com

The Sherman project on the Acme comedy club lot
Wow. Has Converse seen this logo?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » October 12th, 2017, 9:16 am

"It's kinda hard to park there, let's take an Uber"

Who drives to a comedy club, where you're probably going to drink, anyways?
I think we know the answer is lots of people. But if you're going out for the night, where does "how close can I park to it" fall on the list?

Especially Acme is far superior than the other local comedy options (one of which is the MOA, ick!).

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 12th, 2017, 9:47 am

I semi-regularly attend shows there, and usually drive. The issue with this chunk of the North Loop is that, aside from the street parking, you don't have any other great options for parking. And because of the broken street grid, it's a surprisingly difficult walk to get over to Washington.

I know we've discussed this before; has the 900 Washington Avenue ramp updated it's hours and rates to do a better job of serving evening users?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 16th, 2017, 10:14 am

Opus planning a 6 story apartment building on current Strib land near printing plant: http://www.startribune.com/opus-plans-2 ... 457994533/

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » November 16th, 2017, 11:36 am

Eh.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » November 16th, 2017, 2:30 pm

The big question for me is if there planing on tying the street grid to w river parkway... that would be a nice connection.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 16th, 2017, 3:12 pm

Not sure there needs to be an automobile connection there, but a visual extension on the grid and public pedestrian space is obviously critical.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » November 29th, 2017, 2:52 pm