Thrivent Blocks

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Thrivent Blocks

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2013, 1:26 pm

There's evidence Thrivent is interested in collaborating with Hines or other DTE land interests to develop their surface lot parcels. This is denoted as Block N and Parcel 2 of Block P on planning maps.

This includes the half block of surface parking behind the Thrivent building at 625 4th Ave S. It also includes the full block of surface employee parking directly across 5th Ave S, and it includes a small parking parcel next to the Sexton on the corner of 7th St S and 5th Ave S.

This was my idea from a couple years ago: http://goo.gl/maps/T7r3d however it seems like public space will likely be to the north of the Armory instead of to the south.

MNdible
is great.

Re: Thrivent Blocks

Postby MNdible » January 15th, 2013, 1:35 pm

The County did have a fairly advanced plan back in the 90's to develop the Skyways through the Armory as you've shown on your attached map -- I'm not sure what happened to it. It was right around the same time that the skyways connecting the Government Center Ramp to the new jail were built.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2013, 1:56 pm

Speaking of these lots, check out this: http://www.tlcminnesota.org/pdf/mythoff ... PUBLIC.pdf (p 27) This is the same buyout idea I've been trying to promote at my current location.

Anyone able to find the Strib/Lori Blake article “Lutheran Brotherhood Has Commuter Options" from 20 December 2001? Not sure who has access to archive services.

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » January 15th, 2013, 2:29 pm

With all the residential being built, and possible huge commercial deals, I wonder what they might have in mind. All these proposals are almost overwhelming at this point. Sure is exciting...

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » January 15th, 2013, 2:40 pm

worst surface parking blight downtown is facing ameriprise service center. sadly it is privately owned and the families who control like their cash cow. i believe this is the same situation with the surface lot next to the shubert theater, but not sure, which is second on my list. but we certainly have plenty of choices for this title.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 15th, 2013, 2:52 pm

With all the residential being built, and possible huge commercial deals, I wonder what they might have in mind. All these proposals are almost overwhelming at this point. Sure is exciting...
Maybe I am misunderstanding the point of the thread but I THOUGHT it was Thrivent that wanted to expand, not some speculative space. I could easily be wrong. I know Thrivent was SUPPOSED to build a twin to its current building, only reflected like a mirror and hence forming the shape of two hands praying. I still wonder if this is their intent...

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2013, 2:55 pm

Pretty sure Thrivent is not planning to expand. This would likely not be for additional office space.

After the LB/AAL merger a decade ago, it became much cheaper to concentrate backoffice functions in Appleton, Wisconsin. I think that was probably the end of any plan to expand their Minneapolis presence.

They used to rent a fair chunk of space in the 701 building, and they ditched that at least 5 years ago.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 15th, 2013, 3:23 pm

Pretty sure Thrivent is not planning to expand. This would likely not be for additional office space.

After the LB/AAL merger a decade ago, it became much cheaper to concentrate backoffice functions in Appleton, Wisconsin. I think that was probably the end of any plan to expand their Minneapolis presence.

They used to rent a fair chunk of space in the 701 building, and they ditched that at least 5 years ago.
Wow, you sure are negative. :D

Cheer up. This is a real proposal, it's been known for awhile. Just no specifics as of yet.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 15th, 2013, 3:34 pm

I just had experience inside the organization doing reports related to staffing inside a division, but that was a few years ago now. And because the proposals I've seen have nothing to do with additional HQ space for them and everything to do with soliciting redevelopment proposals from other firms.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 15th, 2013, 3:48 pm

I just had experience inside the organization doing reports related to staffing inside a division, but that was a few years ago now. And because the proposals I've seen have nothing to do with additional HQ space for them and everything to do with soliciting redevelopment proposals from other firms.
Ah, so you have an in on this one. I would assume, that this is something to invest in.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » January 15th, 2013, 11:19 pm

this would be amazing. I am looking at buying in that area and the #1 problem I have with it is the ugly parking lots that fill the neighborhood. I hope this happens fast!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » January 16th, 2013, 11:21 am

Is there a suggestion here that Thrivent is planning to move lots of people from Appleton to Minneapolis, or is this all purely speculation?

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » January 16th, 2013, 11:42 am

Anyone able to find the Strib/Lori Blake article “Lutheran Brotherhood Has Commuter Options" from 20 December 2001? Not sure who has access to archive services.
Anyone with a Hennepin County Library card has access to text from Strib articles starting in 1986. Check their Databases. I'm not sure what is relevant to this thread so Matt let me know if you want me to PM you this article.
"Who rescued whom!"

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 16th, 2013, 12:14 pm

Is there a suggestion here that Thrivent is planning to move lots of people from Appleton to Minneapolis, or is this all purely speculation?
The speculation has nothing to do with Thrivent staffing or office needs. Solely about redevelopment of their nearly two blocks of surface parking.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » January 16th, 2013, 12:42 pm

Speaking of these lots, check out this: http://www.tlcminnesota.org/pdf/mythoff ... PUBLIC.pdf (p 27) This is the same buyout idea I've been trying to promote at my current location.

I've pasted it below.

Lutheran Brotherhood has commuter options - Instead of free parking, workers now get cash allowance for transportation
Star Tribune: Newspaper of the Twin Cities (Minneapolis, MN) - Thursday, December 20, 2001
Author: Laurie Blake; Staff Writer

RSEC: After a history of providing free parking for employees in downtown Minneapolis, Lutheran Brotherhood this year gated its parking lots, issued employee entry cards and started charging $5.35 a day.

Surprisingly, no revolt ensued.

The financial services company started giving employees a new cash commuting allowance of $50 to $100 a month (based on years of service or position held) and the payment proved more popular than the parking.

While about 800 salaried employees were eligible for the free parking under the old system, the commuting allowance goes to all 1,586 Lutheran Brotherhood downtown employees and gives all of them a financial incentive to try alternatives to driving to work alone.

Those who want to drive may use the allowance to pay the new parking fees. And those who reduce their transportation costs by taking the bus, riding a bike, walking or carpooling, may pocket the rest of the money.

[...]

[mod="Nick"]Please don't post whole articles[/mod]

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 16th, 2013, 4:02 pm

Wow, you sure are negative. :D

Cheer up. This is a real proposal, it's been known for awhile. Just no specifics as of yet.
He speaks the truth. Once they merged with the Group in Wisconsin that pretty much made any more office space in MPLS a non starter. Why pay MPLS rates when you can pay less in Appleton as far as wages and real estate costs.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 16th, 2013, 6:18 pm

Who would actually want to live in Wisconsin?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » January 16th, 2013, 6:53 pm

Who would actually want to live in Wisconsin?
Apartnerly there are a few million Wisconinites.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 16th, 2013, 6:57 pm

Just so everyone knows. RYAN has plans, developed in 07, of a 1,100 foot office/mixed use. It's a fact.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » January 16th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Don't tease me like that.