Thrivent Blocks

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Matt
Metrodome

Re: Thrivent Blocks

Postby Matt » January 16th, 2013, 9:51 pm

Does anybody have info on the condition of the Armory? (Tried to find an Armory thread). This is my number one choice for a rehab, but I'd have to think that its use as a parking garage isn't doing this building any favors.
I used to park there. It is kind of a dump. Lots of the walls are kind of gross and falling apart, but I'm sure it could be rehabbed. The doors are open during the day, so if you want, you can walk through it.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 16th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Don't tease me like that.
It's funny, but I for one don't care to see anything taller than the IDS unless it is absolutely iconic.....and I mean on a national level, not local. I'd rather see 4 or 5 600' to 700' towers than a supertall higher than 1000' or 1100'. I feel like that would make our skyline look "cooler". And clearly, that's the goal, right? :?

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » January 16th, 2013, 10:08 pm

Does anybody have info on the condition of the Armory? (Tried to find an Armory thread). This is my number one choice for a rehab, but I'd have to think that its use as a parking garage isn't doing this building any favors.
I used to park there. It is kind of a dump. Lots of the walls are kind of gross and falling apart, but I'm sure it could be rehabbed. The doors are open during the day, so if you want, you can walk through it.
For anyone who didn't see the Facebook post, I took this picture today:

Can't you just imagine a market or something in there? All weather, year round Farmers Market? That would be awesome.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 16th, 2013, 10:12 pm

There's something in Cleveland that is exactly like what you are talking about, and it IS very awesome! If Minneapolis did that with the Armory I'd be pretty excited and it'd be a huge win for the city!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 16th, 2013, 11:03 pm

There's something in Cleveland that is exactly like what you are talking about, and it IS very awesome! If Minneapolis did that with the Armory I'd be pretty excited and it'd be a huge win for the city!
I grew up in Cleveland and you are referring to The West Side Market. A wonderful idea for the Armory!! :D

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » January 16th, 2013, 11:12 pm

Very cool. The only thing is - do you think it would be too much of a competitor with the Midtown Global Market?

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 16th, 2013, 11:43 pm

I grew up in Cleveland and you are referring to The West Side Market. A wonderful idea for the Armory!! :D
Yes sir I am! I pass by that place every time I go to the doctor (once a month :( ). Where did you grow up? I live in Shaker right now, South of Lomond between Warrensville Cntr Rd & Lee Rd.
Last edited by min-chi-cbus on January 16th, 2013, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 16th, 2013, 11:44 pm

Very cool. The only thing is - do you think it would be too much of a competitor with the Midtown Global Market?
If the West Side Market was placed at the Armory, it would compete directly with the MIdtown Global Market, and potentially trump it. Ideally, they would have a different customer base though.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 17th, 2013, 7:19 am

Not a tease. I believe Avian is also aware of this.

They have the proposal. That's why a few of us are convinced the city will see a super tall very soon.

BTW: Perfect idea for the armory.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 17th, 2013, 7:21 am

If the West Side Market was placed at the Armory, it would compete directly with the MIdtown Global Market, and potentially trump it. Ideally, they would have a different customer base though.
That's why it would have to be American fare takes on mexican, italian, greek and then savory types of food. That's what the cleveland market is like.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » January 17th, 2013, 7:55 am

Not a tease. I believe Avian is also aware of this.

They have the proposal. That's why a few of us are convinced the city will see a super tall very soon.

BTW: Perfect idea for the armory.
It's weird, because Ryan tends to be more conservative (at least compared to Opus) and I wouldn't expect them of all developers to be the one to "break the mold". Generally when I hear that Ryan is doing a development project I curb my expectations, given their conservative nature.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 17th, 2013, 8:28 am

Just so everyone knows. RYAN has plans, developed in 07, of a 1,100 foot office/mixed use. It's a fact.
They already have a name: The Lennay :D

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 17th, 2013, 9:11 am

I made a thread for Armory discussion, since obviously there's pent up demand for that topic as well:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1108

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 17th, 2013, 11:04 am

Just so everyone knows. RYAN has plans, developed in 07, of a 1,100 foot office/mixed use. It's a fact.
They already have a name: The Lennay :D
It's real....and it's not dead!!!!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » January 17th, 2013, 11:13 am

Are you referring to the TCF parcel tower proposal by the Foshay? That tower was designed by Pickard Chilton. I think Retiredbanker mentioned that to me one time. There was some concern about it overwhelming our beloved Foshay. Yes, I would think it's still under serious consideration. Its a question of timing and location.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » January 17th, 2013, 11:18 am

Are you referring to the TCF parcel tower proposal by the Foshay? That tower was designed by Pickard Chilton. I think Retiredbanker mentioned that to me one time. There was some concern about it overwhelming our beloved Foshay. Yes, I would think it's still under serious consideration. Its a question of timing and location.
Yes, that is the one. The TCF tower would be part of it, but I believe the tower would be on the corner. But the sad thing is RYAN never released the renderings!

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Postby trkaiser » January 17th, 2013, 1:42 pm

It would be fascinating to see how a generic building that size would look in that location.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » January 17th, 2013, 2:01 pm

I think that would kind of be overkill on that block, crowding the foshay, unless it was super skinny...which would be cool.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » January 17th, 2013, 2:30 pm

Yes I have heard the same thing about the Ryan project. And i have also heard about 4 additional towers, one of which is also a near-supertall. (And I think nasa and I have different contacts so we're not just repeating each other's speculations.) It doesn't mean they all will happen. The spoils may go to the teams that get their projects in the ground first. But there is a mini-boom brewing, at least.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

the other scott
City Center

Postby the other scott » January 17th, 2013, 2:35 pm

If the West Side Market was placed at the Armory, it would compete directly with the MIdtown Global Market, and potentially trump it.
Do you think so? I'm not sure what Midtown Market's reach is beyond Allina/Abbot and the local neighborhood. My gut feeling is that people who frequent MM aren't going to make a trip downtown for the same thing but on a larger scale. I think the city could easily support two places like this.