Velo Apartments - (103 Second Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Velo Apartments - (103 Second Street North)

Postby John » June 12th, 2012, 3:54 pm

Velo Apartments, a 106-unit complex on 1st Avenue and 2nd Street North. Construction will start in late summer 2012. Renderings of the project:

trkaiser
Landmark Center

Re: Velo apartments

Postby trkaiser » June 12th, 2012, 3:59 pm

I'm pretty excited about this one. Too bad they couldn't incorporate a mural wall to honor the old site. I did a great photo shoot at the Merit Printing lot for work many years ago - fond memories.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » June 13th, 2012, 12:21 am

Are they really putting the name Velo on the building in lights 3 times? A bit odd, but it does look nice. Let's just hope ever building being developed afterwards won't copy that trend. haha :lol:

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 13th, 2012, 8:11 am

This is a sharp looking design. Does anyone know if this is likely to be stick construction? The first two floors will have to be brick/concrete, but the top 4 could be stick, correct?

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » June 13th, 2012, 8:28 am

This is a sharp looking design. Does anyone know if this is likely to be stick construction? The first two floors will have to be brick/concrete, but the top 4 could be stick, correct?
The way it's usually done is the first floor is concrete, the rest is wood framed. From the render it looks like the first floor is an oversized retail floor, then five floors of housing above.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 13th, 2012, 9:29 am

The way it's usually done is the first floor is concrete, the rest is wood framed. From the render it looks like the first floor is an oversized retail floor, then five floors of housing above.
That was my understanding, but I also believe stick construction has height and # of floor limits. For instance, I believe Mpls only allows 4 stick construction floors on a concrete bottom floor, but I'm naive of the details and very well could be wrong.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2012, 9:43 am

That was my understanding, but I also believe stick construction has height and # of floor limits. For instance, I believe Mpls only allows 4 stick construction floors on a concrete bottom floor, but I'm naive of the details and very well could be wrong.
Nope, The Flux in Uptown has at least 5 stories of stick about the ground floor concrete. I believe that it is 6 stories, only because of fire codes.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » June 13th, 2012, 9:48 am

Wedgeguy has it right. The limit isn't structural, it's fire related. Stick buildings are much more likely to have catastrophic fires than concrete or steel ones, and are thus limited in heights so that ladder trucks can reach the top floors.

Edit: Does anyone know which corner this is on, or the actual address?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 13th, 2012, 9:58 am

The Merit printing building will be torn down for this development and it's located at 117 North 2nd Street. But the address of the new project will probably be different.

This is a great design. Are we really sure this is stick-built or just assuming? I'm not sure it would even be possible given the abundance of windows in the design.
Last edited by Tyler on June 13th, 2012, 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Towns!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 13th, 2012, 10:03 am

The Merit printing building will be torn down for this development and it's located at 117 North 2nd Street. But the address of the new project with probably be different.

I'd bet on a 1st Ave address as that looks like where most of the action will be taking place.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 13th, 2012, 3:41 pm

Wedgeguy has it right. The limit isn't structural, it's fire related. Stick buildings are much more likely to have catastrophic fires than concrete or steel ones, and are thus limited in heights so that ladder trucks can reach the top floors.
Thanks, guys. Good to know.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 28th, 2012, 4:55 pm

Anyone hear any updates on this project? The fact that Merit Printing is still in their building, is still listed as owning the building, and hasn't announced a move casts serious doubt on construction starting late this summer. Or...at all.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 28th, 2012, 8:12 pm

Anyone hear any updates on this project? The fact that Merit Printing is still in their building, is still listed as owning the building, and hasn't announced a move casts serious doubt on construction starting late this summer. Or...at all.
They have announced the move. It's taken a little longer than expected.
Towns!

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 29th, 2012, 8:25 am

They have announced the move. It's taken a little longer than expected.
Oh, okay. I couldn't find anything recent on an announcement. Do you have a link?

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » June 29th, 2012, 10:34 am

I don't have a link to their announcement but here's a story from April referencing it. http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collec ... rals.shtml
Towns!

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » June 29th, 2012, 2:50 pm

I don't have a link to their announcement but here's a story from April referencing it. http://minnesota.publicradio.org/collec ... rals.shtml
This kinda proves what I was saying, though. There are stories referencing the move, but anything new-ish is extremely vague. There's nothing concrete from the horses mouth.

danie123182
City Center

Postby danie123182 » June 29th, 2012, 4:44 pm

Edit: Does anyone know which corner this is on, or the actual address?
That explains the height limitations but it doesn't really explain why the bottom floors/bottom 2 floors of these buildings are being built with concrete.

If a 6 story building has a concrete first floor it's still the same height as a 6 story all wood building. The ladder would reach either one of them the same.

The bottom floor being concrete probably has something to do with a maximum number of floors being wood due to structural issues. Possibly to make sure the building doesn't collapse during a fire.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » June 30th, 2012, 1:26 am

I believe it has more to do with achieving large open areas required for retail and lobbies. Again, there is no problem with building 6 stories of wood, but it does require a lot more load-bearing walls than concrete or steel.

I could be wrong, but that's what makes sense to me.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 1st, 2012, 8:26 pm

There are a few things that play into the limitations on stick frame construction, but my understanding is that the code limits the construction type for stick built to five stories, taking advantage of all of the bonuses available. If you build it on top of a concrete plinth, and you're able to use that base as a fire separation, you can stack those five stories of wood framing right on top of it. The latest trick we're seeing is to add a sixth story of wood framing, through an exception that allows a mezzanine floor to not count as a full floor. That's how a project like the Vue gets up to 7 stories (really more like 8 stories based on how far their first level of "underground" parking projects above grade).

The whole thing is preposterous to me, and I'd strongly recommend against anybody buying into these buildings.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 2nd, 2012, 12:59 am

Not to mention stick built is LOUD. If you want to listen to your neighbors all night, wood frame is the way to go.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.