Embassy Suites (Plymouth Building) - 12 6th Street S

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Conrad Hotel in the Plymouth Building - 12 6th Street S

Postby John » July 16th, 2014, 8:16 am

Looks like it will have changes to the base with some improvements in the street frontage. A great addition to our city.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » July 16th, 2014, 9:02 am

How much space was being rented in this building? Any word on where those tenants will be moving?

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » July 16th, 2014, 9:30 am

I happened to be at the grand opening for the new Radisson Blu downtown and got to talking with the GM. He mentioned the new Conrad coming to downtown and I thought he'd be upset or at the very least a little worried, but he seemed genuinely excited. Hotels are very bullish on downtown right now and with the addition of the Mayo they are seeing dollar signs! He said the Conrad will actually legitimize downtown that much more and make it a destination for out of towners, pulling in the people that would have normally stayed out towards MOA.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 16th, 2014, 9:51 am

I have been wondering about this one...glad to see it is progressing. And they are going for 5 stars I see.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 16th, 2014, 10:25 am

I am most excited to see the building with no awnings... all open and free, FINALLY!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 16th, 2014, 11:13 am

Does someone know if this the first 5 star hotel in Minneapolis? Can't seem to recall we ever had any.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Re: Plymouth Building Hotel Conversion - (12 6th Street Sout

Postby Wedgeguy » July 16th, 2014, 11:19 am

Really excited to see this project finally get the green light. It's a disappointment that they are not going to be doing much work on the exterior of the building to restore its previous look, but a Conrad is definitely a great addition to the city.

I wonder if they have any plans to do anything with the roof of the building. The Conrad in Chicago has a great rooftop terrace with amazing views of the city (http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/resourc ... Center.jpg). Our skyline isn't quite as impressive, but it would be amazing if they found a way to capitalize on all that space.
I'd say that the addition to the 3rd floor will probably be a pool area in the light court of the building. I would see no problem with them doing something like the Soo Line did on their roof top on the top of this building also. There maybe some access issues as the elevators at present don't go to the roof and not sure how much that would cost to rectify. But I sure think that is a possibility.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » July 16th, 2014, 12:02 pm

What is the stone building across the street from this one. Has always been one of my favorite old buildings in the city.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 16th, 2014, 12:08 pm

Across Hennepin is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hennepin_C ... r_the_Arts
Across 5th St is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lumber_Exchange_Building

And kitty-corner from this future 5-star hotel is Augies and Dreamgirls :lol: (we need the monkey covering eyes emoji)

downtowndweller
City Center

Postby downtowndweller » July 16th, 2014, 1:34 pm

Soo Line Building added an additional elevator to take you from the 18th floor to the roof top... I'm sure this is a much more affordable approach then using the existing elevator shafts. Then again 5 star hotels aren't always looking for the most affordable options.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 16th, 2014, 2:41 pm

And kitty-corner from this future 5-star hotel is Augies and Dreamgirls :lol: (we need the monkey covering eyes emoji)
Augies and Dreamgirls are not kitty-corner from the future Conrad Hotel. They are on Hennepin between 4th & 5th. Kitty-corner from the Lumber Exchange building.

Conrad is the Plymouth Building, which is on the corner of 6th & Hennepin, kitty-corner from Mayo Clinic Square, and across 6th from Rosa Mexicano and across Hennepin from the Center For The Arts.

I'm looking forward to this rehab, and the Wonderous Azian Kitchen space being redone!

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » July 16th, 2014, 2:43 pm

by nickmgray » July 16th, 2014, 7:12 am
Really excited to see this project finally get the green light. It's a disappointment that they are not going to be doing much work on the exterior of the building to restore its previous look, but a Conrad is definitely a great addition to the city.

I'm a little disappointed about the exterior too, although if you didn't know what it once looked like, it would seem like a respectable 1930's era building. Just cleaning it up, fixing up the street level, and adding lighting will make a huge difference.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 16th, 2014, 3:22 pm

I am assuming that they will build something out to the corner of Hennepin & 5th, rather than leave it as a surface parking lot. Presumably this building is going to have plenty of amenities which require the rest of the block face along Hennepin to be built out. That was the basis for my statement that it would be kitty-corner to the strip clubs and dive bars. I realize the current entrance faces the corner of Hennepin & 6th.

I'm making a lot of assumptions, but I just don't see how they can put a 5-star hotel into the existing structure without building out that surface parking lot next to it. Where would the lobby, all of the amenities, equipment storage, service stuff, etc. go? Are they just going to completely gut the Tom Pham space and not have a restaurant there?

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 16th, 2014, 3:24 pm

I've been in hotels where there's no lobby on the main floor, just enough space for an elevator or two and a desk for the valet/doorman. They get your luggage into the elevator which takes you to the lobby level, and from the lobby level you take another elevator to your floor in the hotel.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » July 16th, 2014, 3:27 pm

I've been in hotels where there's no lobby on the main floor, just enough space for an elevator or two and a desk for the valet/doorman. They get your luggage into the elevator which takes you to the lobby level, and from the lobby level you take another elevator to your floor in the hotel.
The Marriott two blocks south is set up this way.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » July 16th, 2014, 3:38 pm

I am assuming that they will build something out to the corner of Hennepin & 5th, rather than leave it as a surface parking lot. Presumably this building is going to have plenty of amenities which require the rest of the block face along Hennepin to be built out. That was the basis for my statement that it would be kitty-corner to the strip clubs and dive bars. I realize the current entrance faces the corner of Hennepin & 6th.

I'm making a lot of assumptions, but I just don't see how they can put a 5-star hotel into the existing structure without building out that surface parking lot next to it. Where would the lobby, all of the amenities, equipment storage, service stuff, etc. go? Are they just going to completely gut the Tom Pham space and not have a restaurant there?
The surface lot north of the Plymouth Building is owned by a completely different entity. The article about the rehab of this building into a Conrad Hotel makes no mention of purchasing the adjacent lot on the block. However, digging back in the thread, I see that it was mentioned that the surface lot next to this, as well as the one across from the 90s are both being eyed... with the one on 4th already having been purchased. So I can't imagine that it'll be long before something is proposed for that spot. It's too prime of a location, with a 5 star hotel now happening next door to be left untouched.

dingo
Metrodome

Postby dingo » July 16th, 2014, 8:52 pm

I wonder if they have any plans to do anything with the roof of the building. The Conrad in Chicago has a great rooftop terrace with amazing views of the city (http://conradhotels3.hilton.com/resourc ... Center.jpg). Our skyline isn't quite as impressive, but it would be amazing if they found a way to capitalize on all that space.
I'd say that the addition to the 3rd floor will probably be a pool area in the light court of the building. I would see no problem with them doing something like the Soo Line did on their roof top on the top of this building also. There maybe some access issues as the elevators at present don't go to the roof and not sure how much that would cost to rectify. But I sure think that is a possibility.
Where do you see the 3rd floor work being done? Is it an addition on the inside of the "U" (if you look at the shape of the building) I wonder if they would include an outdoor pool? I recently had friends looking to stay at a Hotel with an outdoor pool downtown and couldnt really find one.

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » July 16th, 2014, 9:38 pm

I'm curious how they'll deal with the skyway connections. Especially on the back going to the 15 Building. Currently it's a weird little diagonal connection.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 17th, 2014, 12:55 pm

Skyway will stay put with them working around it. Maybe, but I doubt it, put some small retail shops in the area. But I really doubt it. Don't know of much that a customer of the Conrad would not be able to get from room service.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » July 17th, 2014, 12:57 pm

I hope that Lyon's pub stays put after this is completed. I don't go there very often, but it is good for the neighborhood being so open and friendly looking in the summer.