New Target Building - (1001 Nicollet Mall)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Lancestar2

Re: New Target Building - (1001 Nicollet Mall)

Postby Lancestar2 » September 23rd, 2012, 2:49 pm

It would be like the Sears tower of Minnesota! : :D
Don't you mean the "Burj Khalifa" of Minnesota?? ;)
LMAO ...ONLY if Dr. Evil becomes CEO and lifetime president of Target Corporation will we ever see a Target "Burj Khalifa" of Minnesota... otherwise common since will Keep the size and scale at a realistic height ;) IMO

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » September 24th, 2012, 3:25 pm

I agree about the WCCO building. It REALLY would be a shame to lose it. Malcolm Holzman from the eminent firm of Hardy Holzman Pfeiffer designed it and it is well documented in architectural journals. I think it's a beautiful example of stellar stonework. HHP also designed Orchestra Hall across the street with the local partnership of HGA.

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 25th, 2012, 8:31 am

For some great info about the WCCO building...
http://books.google.com/books?id=s9uQIv ... co&f=false

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » September 25th, 2012, 9:42 am

For some great info about the WCCO building...
http://books.google.com/books?id=s9uQIv ... co&f=false
Thanks for the great reading material. It would be cool to see this building incorporated into future development. Getting off topic, but it was fun to see Vetter's did the stone for WCCO and a little history for both companies. Might have guessed it, they also recently provided 100 semi loads of stone for target field.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » September 25th, 2012, 9:46 am

I just took an architecture tour in Des Moines last week, and it was interesting that one of their buildings had this pink-orange sandstone from the Hinckley area (the rest seemed to have the standard white stone from Indiana/Illinois, and none seemed to have Kasota). It's interesting how we're so used to the tan color here, but I wish we had more of the pink-orange stone.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 25th, 2012, 10:09 am

Just to clarify, the stone used at the WCCO building is a dolomitic limestone commonly called Kasota Stone. It's harder and more stable than regular limestone.

Sandstone is a whole different animal, although (as you suggest) there was a lot of it quarried in the region, including some at closed quarries near Hinckley (Banning) and around Lake Superior.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 25th, 2012, 10:32 am

Our native sandstones are not great for construction, even in our own climate, but better a little south. There are some sandstones from around the country that are more dense and stable than the MN Dolomite, it's hard to generalize which is stronger/better because it depends on how they were formed.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 25th, 2012, 6:09 pm

You guys know a lot about rocks.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 25th, 2012, 7:32 pm

Just to clarify, the stone used at the WCCO building is a dolomitic limestone commonly called Kasota Stone. It's harder and more stable than regular limestone.

Sandstone is a whole different animal, although (as you suggest) there was a lot of it quarried in the region, including some at closed quarries near Hinckley (Banning) and around Lake Superior.
Yes, Kasota stone is what you see everywhere on downtown buildings including WCCO. I love the warm, toasty beige color, and it really looks good (and cheerful) especially in our long cold winters. I know some people on this forum find it weary to be so prevalent on the exterior of our buildings, but I love it and it really gives our city a unique coloration.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 26th, 2012, 10:57 am

You guys know a lot about rocks.
Head full of rocks, story of my life.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 26th, 2012, 1:48 pm

My whole family is rock crazy. I installed a rock wall in our basement with stones from all over the country from every family vacation we've been on. Plus since we've always been in the masonry industry it came with learning to tie my shoes...

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » September 29th, 2012, 12:55 pm

Hopefully they respond to the demand and add legitimate showers to their restrooms. It's such a shame that all the bums end up having to use the sinks.
Naw but f'real, I wish they'd get rid of the damn bench out front...
It looks to me like the benches along Nicollet are coming out. They're gone and pavers are going in.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 29th, 2012, 10:51 pm

They should really replace that with bike racks. Downtown Target is in desperate need of convenient bike parking. There are times where I take my shopping elsewhere because I know there is no convenient place to leave my bike.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 30th, 2012, 7:26 am

Hopefully they respond to the demand and add legitimate showers to their restrooms. It's such a shame that all the bums end up having to use the sinks.
Naw but f'real, I wish they'd get rid of the damn bench out front...
It looks to me like the benches along Nicollet are coming out. They're gone and pavers are going in.
Yay! Instant improvement!
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 30th, 2012, 10:29 am

They should really replace that with bike racks. Downtown Target is in desperate need of convenient bike parking. There are times where I take my shopping elsewhere because I know there is no convenient place to leave my bike.
Send that kind of info directly to those businesses! That'll get their attention!

minneapolisguy
Nicollet Mall

Postby minneapolisguy » October 1st, 2012, 8:27 am

I biked by this place this morning - they have removed all the window coverings - what a beautiful space they have created here - wow! Looks great with the huge windows.

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » October 1st, 2012, 11:09 am

I biked by this place this morning - they have removed all the window coverings - what a beautiful space they have created here - wow! Looks great with the huge windows.
I walked by today as well and was very impressed. I think it will be a great space for Target to hold meetings with vendors and others they don’t want roaming around HQ.
I especially like the huge overhead garage door to the back patio, very cool. I just hope they continue to keep the blinds open and do not feel the need to close it off. The first person to pee on the sidewalk in front of the huge windows will take care of that…..

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 2nd, 2012, 12:20 am

Tonight when I was walking to The Local, I almost crapped my pants walking along Nicollet. They did a fantastic job creating a sense of place. No, it's not a super tall, but it's so much better than boarded up windows it's crazy.

Lancestar2

Postby Lancestar2 » October 2nd, 2012, 1:01 am

I also went by there at night. It sure did look nice, the upstairs lights were on as well. Really fills a gap downtown and sure is pretty nice even if I'm not welcomed inside lol. Still curious as to the usefulness of the space though it would make a great interviewing room and meeting space for store ETL's to meet with corporate ect ect. I think it will be a nice playground for Target

EDIT oh and I wonder if you can buy that furniture at Target.com or down the street at Corporate Target ?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » October 2nd, 2012, 8:16 am

Tonight when I was walking to The Local, I almost crapped my pants walking along Nicollet. They did a fantastic job creating a sense of place. No, it's not a super tall, but it's so much better than boarded up windows it's crazy.

They did an amazing job with the conversion of this building. Beautiful! Julie Snow architects are to be commended. I think that firm has been hired to do some renovation of the YWCA down the street. Can't wait to see what they do there!