222 & Whole Foods - (222 Hennepin Avenue)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: 222 & Whole Foods - (222 Hennepin Avenue)

Postby Nathan » August 6th, 2013, 12:47 pm

It is terribly awkward, it seems like it was planned to have some balconies (which would probably make it look a lot nicer) but they were left out. I feel like those kinds of thing are the things developers get away with because they look fine on a 2D presentation, but just bulky and pointless when built out.

Blaisdell Greenway
Union Depot

Postby Blaisdell Greenway » August 6th, 2013, 1:15 pm

I'm curious why everyone is so upset (or at least cautiously ok) with the outcome of this building, especially compared to all of the other stick structures going up around town? The materials appear to be high quality and the brownish color scheme is fairly traditional and classy. I like the use of a lot of materials - it gives the building a lot of dimension, in addition to the actual bumpouts and nooks and crannies. Compared to, I don't know, every single development opening this year in Dinkytown, this is probably the finest 6 story box we'll see completed in 2013.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 6th, 2013, 1:16 pm

Don't you get it? This is THE GATEWAY to the city of Minneapolis. Everybody will judge the entire city by what is built on this block.

EDIT: This was supposed to be sarcastic, in case it wasn't obvious.
Last edited by MNdible on August 6th, 2013, 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 6th, 2013, 1:29 pm

I'm for establishing an architect/developer walk of shame! This building had the potential even in it form to be a much better building. Some mixed used of brick would have make it less bulky. That black or turd brown, can anyone see Mural on Lyndale is a kissing cousin to this, should have been mixed with other shades or browns or grey so that it did not look this bad. Developers should have to pay a price for terrible designs.

Tom H.
US Bank Plaza

Postby Tom H. » August 6th, 2013, 1:50 pm

Thread death spiral in 3...2...1...

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 6th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Here's my major problem with it: It's not really so much to do with the materials, it's the false dimension they tried to make especially on the 2nd st and 1st ave side of the building. The break up the material in a way that makes sense, but since it is all on one plane it just looks like someone took a building that had some dimension and flattened it (especially on 2nd). I mean you have this ornately detailed tower next to a wider area of flat brown metal panel with underscaled windows. Just bad contrast. Then the strange mid block towers on Hen and 1st ave that seem so bulky and lack luster especially compared to the actually really beautiful corner towers. The only side I really like 100% is Washington, the dimension makes sense architecturally, the bump outs look intentional and functional, and the material usage is clean and simple, AND it addresses the street nicely with store front. There are three units on the 2nd street side that easily could have had walk up entrances. I think it had a lot of potential and they did a lot of things well, just not consistently which makes it hard to fully like a building in such a prominent location.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 15th, 2013, 1:18 pm

Tenants have been moving in for a few days now.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 19th, 2013, 12:37 pm

I walked over to look at this one today and admittedly only viewed it from across the Henn/Wash intersection, but I have to say given all the "meh" it's received i was surprised at how much I like it. It's kind of a huge project but the massing and the materials, especially on the Washington side, do a nice job of breaking it up and creating something that feels more like a set of smaller structures. It almost feels like greenfield development though, considering how many open and very-low lots surround it. If the surrounding properties west of Hennepin get built to similar density with similar setbacks this area will feel like the first dense stepdown from the urban core; as it is, there's an urban-edge building sitting in a strange hole of development between the real core and the main Warehouse District.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 19th, 2013, 4:33 pm

One Ok looking side with three that don't come close to being good enough, is not a good building. The over use of dark metal weights down what could have been a lighter looking building. Looks like they dumped boiling tar over it and it slowly cooled on the way down.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 19th, 2013, 6:27 pm

It almost feels like greenfield development though, considering how many open and very-low lots surround it. If the surrounding properties west of Hennepin get built to similar density with similar setbacks this area will feel like the first dense stepdown from the urban core; as it is, there's an urban-edge building sitting in a strange hole of development between the real core and the main Warehouse District.
Yes, Your comments infer the biggest aesthetic problem with this project: all those open lots around it leave it in a vacuum from the rest of downtown. It doesn't connect very well to the urban fabric (yet) of the city. It sits there quite isolated and gives it too much focus in what really should be a relatively minor wall building in the core given its height. My prediction is when the area around it gets built up, it won't look nearly as awkward, especially if the surrounding new development is taller and steps up taking its cue from the scale of 222. Personally, I think the Hennepin and Washington Ave sides already look great and the towers have a nice reference to some of the other structures a few blocks away (i.e. the Hennepin Ave Bridge). Be patient. It should look just fine in a few years.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 19th, 2013, 8:02 pm

It almost feels like greenfield development though, considering how many open and very-low lots surround it. If the surrounding properties west of Hennepin get built to similar density with similar setbacks this area will feel like the first dense stepdown from the urban core; as it is, there's an urban-edge building sitting in a strange hole of development between the real core and the main Warehouse District.
Yes, Your comments infer the biggest aesthetic problem with this project: all those open lots around it leave it in a vacuum from the rest of downtown. It doesn't connect very well to the urban fabric (yet) of the city. It sits there quite isolated and gives it too much focus in what really should be a relatively minor wall building in the core given its height. My prediction is when the area around it gets built up, it won't look nearly as awkward, especially if the surrounding new development is taller and steps up taking its cue from the scale of 222. Personally, I think the Hennepin and Washington Ave sides already look great and the towers have a nice reference to some of the other structures a few blocks away (i.e. the Hennepin Ave Bridge). Be patient. It should look just fine in a few years.
I completely concur. Now let's hope that other development comes - this is an infill project that unfortunately gets more attention that that because of the lack of other developments.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » August 20th, 2013, 8:09 am

Any recent updates on when the Whole Foods opens? This is going to dramatically enhance my ability to grab good food to cook on my walk home. Can't wait.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 20th, 2013, 8:18 am

the whole foods web site says wednesday, sept 25

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 22nd, 2013, 8:13 am

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 22nd, 2013, 8:32 am

60% is impressive. Doesn't surprise me given the phenomenal location and ability to have Whole Foods at your doorstep.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 22nd, 2013, 10:12 am

Not surprising that it is also one of the first out the door for apartment in that area. This may bode will for a few other developments that will be completed by the end of this years. As there will be fewer vacant units for them to have to work against.

I knew that the 222 reminded me of a building I dislike and yesterday while I was walking home I saw the back half of Murel there on Lyndale. Both have that fugly beige and the awful black/brown metal that weighs it down and makes it look like a big turd!

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » August 23rd, 2013, 3:43 pm

Looking down Hennepin, this actually looks kind of cool against the Federal Reserve clock:

Matt
Metrodome

Postby Matt » September 14th, 2013, 3:33 pm

Whole Foods entrance taken today: Image

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 16th, 2013, 6:23 am

i really like what they've done with the streetscape along hennepin. the landscaping and sidewalk features are quite nice. maybe because it was car dealership and was awful for so long anything is an improvement but it's a pleasure walking past this building.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 17th, 2013, 8:31 am