National Marrow Donor Program HQ - 524 5th Street North

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Re: National Marrow Donor Program HQ - (524 Fifth Street Nor

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » December 4th, 2013, 12:22 am

Looks like there will be retail. From the Staff Report for the 12/2 Planning Commission Agenda:

"Along 5th Avenue North, the applicant is proposing to have a restaurant space in the building. The restaurant will be open to the public."

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 117535.pdf

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » December 4th, 2013, 1:15 am

This development has all the right components and potential to be a great project. It's an amazing site on one of the most prominent parcels in the North Loop. I guess I'm confused why the developer, tenant ,and architects can't to step up to the plate with the design? Something doesn't jive.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » January 3rd, 2014, 11:10 am

The latest I've heard is that Shapco is not even moving until mid-late summer. I'm guessing they'll probably start demo in the fall?...

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » January 3rd, 2014, 11:14 am

Probably getting pressure to not start until after the All Star game.

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » January 3rd, 2014, 6:20 pm

why would that be the case? isn't construction supposed to be a sign of a healthy, growing city?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » January 3rd, 2014, 6:48 pm

CRANES!
Right?

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » January 6th, 2014, 8:15 am

I'm guessing if they thought that they'd start the Target center renovation before the game as well.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » January 6th, 2014, 3:16 pm

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... alley.html
Bloomington-based developer United Properties has a deal to buy Shapco's current building for an undisclosed sum. That building will be demolished in July to make way for the $59 million headquarters of national bone marrow donation nonprofit Be the Match.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » January 10th, 2014, 10:49 am

^ Also of note in that article is that Shapco currently leases two warehouses in the area, both of which they will be vacating in the move to Golden Valley. I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that means we'll probably see two more development proposals here in the near future.

nonxtian
Block E

Postby nonxtian » February 8th, 2014, 2:02 pm

Noticed an updated rendering, which shows a cornice along with other changes.. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ge_gallery

Makes it look a bit less generic as compared to the last rendering IMO: http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... ge_gallery

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » February 9th, 2014, 10:22 am

Yeah, I think they've probably done a good job of listening to the city and neighborhood. I'm excited for this to go up!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » February 9th, 2014, 10:50 am

New and improved!

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 9th, 2014, 9:05 pm

Nobody wants to move there. Just saying. Don't bitch me out.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » February 9th, 2014, 9:16 pm

The employees? I know several be the match employees who are quite excited about the new location. Though be the match is not subsidizing metro passes or parking.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 9th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Well, presumably someone does, or they wouldn't be moving.

It's amazing how small details can really change the overall look of a building. There isn't very much changed at all between those two renderings, but it really looks a lot better.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » February 9th, 2014, 9:43 pm

You gonna leave us with that sushimo, or you going to fill us in on why people wouldn't want to move into a new headquarters with access to downtown and transportation?

sushisimo
Landmark Center

Postby sushisimo » February 10th, 2014, 5:34 am

Yeah, I was going for the dramatic flourish. In all honesty, I only know a couple people there (separately, I don't think they know each other). But I had to chuckle at their similar, eye-rolling reaction to being DT. It could be the typical Minnesotan reaction to anything involving change. But it did get me thinking about the appeal of working one commercial center away from DT versus DT itself (mostly car/parking related). Again, it's probably a mix of habit, different transit, blah blah, all the stuff we say here.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » February 10th, 2014, 7:34 am

The fact that Be The Match won't be subsidizing Metropass is disappointing, especially considering the location.

Employees will still be able to purchase a pass with pre-tax dollars, but most large downtown employers contribute at least a mild subsidy.

It's completely understandable that employees would be a little frustrated at having to pay for parking, as it was undoubtedly free at the Broadway Ridge location. No transit access at the current location either, so we are talking about a complete culture shift here. Lunch options in this part of North Loop are still pretty sparse. It's pretty much 2 hot dogs for $2 at Holiday gas station or walk 4 blocks to Washington Ave. Waiting for a train (twice) is not a realistic scenario over one's lunch break. Of course, at the current location there are zero walkable lunch options, but it's a lot easier to hop in the car and go to the multitude of options in western Roseville.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 10th, 2014, 7:59 am

Waiting for a train (twice) is not a realistic scenario over one's lunch break.
Why not? Total expected wait time would be 10 minutes.

When my employer moved DT St. Paul a few years back, you would not believe the whining. I kid you not, someone actually said, "but I'll have to go through two extra stoplights to get to work!" Today, I hear zero complaints. I'm sure there are still some disgruntleds but when I've talked to a few of the more vocal opponents they grudgingly admit to liking the lunch options, ability to walk around for breaks and the surprising ease of taking transit from Eagan/Apple Valley.

When our lease comes up it will be interesting to see what happens. People rightly complain about the building (Galtier) but since one of the reasons we moved downtown was to attract young talent, it seems difficult to believe we'd move back out to the 'burbs.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » February 10th, 2014, 8:11 am

Those are good points- if your employer suddenly tells you you're paying $150 a month now to park your car and they're not increasing your salary that sucks.

I also would like to see more good lunch options on this side of town. It has become a good destination neighborhood for sit-down food but not for reasonably priced excellent lunch options. Although part of the problem I think is also a cultural mentality- I work in Boston and we'll walk in single digit temps across the city to bring our favorite lunches back to the office. Moose and Sadie's, bewitched, black sheep, and pizza Luce should all be considered walking distance from this location. They're all ok but there is certainly opportunity for a stand-out lunch spot in the NL. (Sometimes I feel like it could be bewitched but their employees can be dismally slow)