Hampton Inn & Suites - (19 8th Street North)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Hampton Inn & Suites - (19 8th Street North)

Postby John » August 21st, 2013, 5:38 pm

Nice, looks like, they added a door, on the corner in the breakfast area, and eliminated the option for cement board on the spec, so that's cool, should be all stucco and metal panel.
Yes, these may seem like minor changes, but actually improve the overall design fairly significantly. I'm especially happy with the addition of windows on the street level and an outside entrance to the breakfast area. Should be a decent infill project and add nice urban density to the area.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » August 21st, 2013, 6:50 pm

I have to assume that the doors to the breakfast area will be closed and alarmed all of the time. They're certainly not going to want people wandering in off of the street helping themselves to complimentary continental breakfast. The doors may have been required as a second means of egress based on the seating capacity of the breakfast area.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » August 21st, 2013, 7:47 pm

would have been nice to add a pool up on top and perhaps a roof top bar/restaurant to boot.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » August 21st, 2013, 8:15 pm

I have to assume that the doors to the breakfast area will be closed and alarmed all of the time. They're certainly not going to want people wandering in off of the street helping themselves to complimentary continental breakfast. The doors may have been required as a second means of egress based on the seating capacity of the breakfast area.
Maybe a fire exit.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 22nd, 2013, 12:04 am

No, if you look very carefully and close up at the renderings , you will notice there are tables and chairs outside the breakfast doorway entrance. I think the will have some outdoor seating to enjoy breakfast in the warmer months. People will be going in and out. As far as people on the street "helping themselves" to breakfast, I doubt it. There will be employees in the breakfast area, and I can't imagine they will not have some security staff for the hotel. Perhaps it may be locked in the winter but who knows.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 22nd, 2013, 2:11 pm

The breakfast area at the double tree is totally open, and connected to a starbucks, so many times I've wanted to just grab a bite...

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 22nd, 2013, 2:31 pm

In the Doubletree it is an open to the public restaurant though, not just a continental breakfast for guests. They don't have free breakfast unless you are Hilton Gold or Diamond...not that it is important to this topic:) Just a side note.

I don't think I have ever seen a Hampton that had outdoor seating for their breakfast service area, would be a nice touch though. Either way, I am happy to see this corner developed. A hotel seems like a good use to keep more eyes on the street in this area and make it seem more friendly.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 22nd, 2013, 2:52 pm

In the Doubletree it is an open to the public restaurant though, not just a continental breakfast for guests. They don't have free breakfast unless you are Hilton Gold or Diamond...not that it is important to this topic:) Just a side note.

I don't think I have ever seen a Hampton that had outdoor seating for their breakfast service area, would be a nice touch though. Either way, I am happy to see this corner developed. A hotel seems like a good use to keep more eyes on the street in this area and make it seem more friendly.
All I know is that when I'm waiting for my drink at starbucks there is an un guarded continental breakfast buffet withing an arms reach lol

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » August 23rd, 2013, 8:13 am

It can be yours for just $14.95! haha. I worked there for too many years until recently.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 23rd, 2013, 9:04 am

I'm Hilton gold and I'm fairly certain I didn't even get free breakfast at a Doubletree last time I was traveling for work. Boo. There's enough other hotels that offer free breakfasts. Even if I'm on an expense account, $14.95 is still a rip when I merely want a light breakfast before I head out for the office when I'm in a different city.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » August 23rd, 2013, 9:44 am

That's why I stay at Hampton Inn & Suites as often as possible. Clean rooms, comfortable beds, free wi-fi, and a pretty complete breakfast spread for free.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » August 23rd, 2013, 10:48 am

I'm a little embarrased to admit that we tend to stay at Hampton Inns because they're the only chain whose free coffee is actually good. It's totally stupid to spend $10/night more for a Hampton than for a Fairfield when they're otherwise about the same and Hampton's coffee is better, but that's what we do. Likewise, pretty much every real city has lots of places that sell really good, inexpensive breakfasts and yet many people choose the hotel based on the free breakfast. It's a good strategy that Hilton has been using to really push the breakfast for Hampton Inns, and this building design takes that to a whole new level. See how I tied the tangent back to the building?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » November 1st, 2013, 2:48 pm

Looks like the city will get Mortenson to take care of its Skyway obligations on this site on the cheap. [PDF]

The proposed hotel is currently in the formal Planning and Development Review stages with the City, with site plan approvals anticipated for November 2013 and construction anticipated to start in December of 2013...

The development team has approached the City to discuss its obligations related to the skyway removal and reconnection. The continued skyway connections from the 800 Hennepin Ave. site, through the new hotel to Ramp A are integral to the design and construction of the new hotel. Attempting to coordinate and perform these tasks with City forces in a timely manner would be difficult and not cost beneficial to the City. Through discussions with the development team it was determined that the expertise required for skyway design, skyway removal, and skyway construction are tasks best suited for M.A. Mortenson and that the City should only be responsible for the costs of these tasks per the 1992 Agreement. M.A. Mortenson Company has provided cost estimates for all of the associated design services, demolition, and construction tasks totaling $200,000.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » November 4th, 2013, 9:04 am

Being in the Pence building, I'm looking forward to snapping some pics of construction as it progresses!

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » January 1st, 2014, 10:44 pm

Is there any prep work starting on the site of this one? I see from the Mndible's post above they were hoping to start in December.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » January 2nd, 2014, 10:10 am

Parking lot is still in use.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » January 2nd, 2014, 4:41 pm

Well well, there is a sign at the hawthorn end of the skyway that says the skyway will be closing in early January for removal. So I guess construction is not that far off.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » January 2nd, 2014, 10:29 pm

Nice. Thanks for the info Spearson. Appreciated.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » January 3rd, 2014, 8:14 am

Shucks, we use that skyway to walk back to our parking ramp after Wolves games.

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » January 3rd, 2014, 11:04 am

Shucks, we use that skyway to walk back to our parking ramp after Wolves games.
I think you are thinking a different skyway. This one doesn't really go to any parking ramps, unless they are in the core.