Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Postby LakeCharles » April 6th, 2016, 11:57 am

Same subject: http://mspmag.com/Blogs/Dara/April-2016 ... ion-Dunzo/

I generally loathe Dara's writing (and probably all pretentious food critic writing in general), but she pulled some pretty hot/snippy quotes out of the Kleins. Worth the read.
Wow. Somebody is angry. I wonder if St. Paul will start having routine restaurant closings in 3-4 years with the rate they are popping up now.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 6th, 2016, 12:06 pm

It’s not a coincidence that Revival is opening their second location in St. Paul.”
I'm friends/former bandmates with the chef/co-owner of Revival, and yes - he has some stories about the environment here in Minneapolis. And I will say, as someone who is generally supportive of the Working Families Agenda, that I had no idea how much fear and hatred there was of the proposals we have seen or will see here in Minneapolis. I'm not sure how much of it is founded (similar to downtown property managers' fears of a three lane 3rd Ave not being well founded) but it's definitely a real thing. Interesting to hear Klein's take.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 6th, 2016, 12:47 pm

Perhaps three restaurants at that location all at once was a bit ambitious.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » April 6th, 2016, 12:50 pm

I find it fascinating when someone with a certain ideology runs into the actual implementation downsides from a business perspective and is forced to rethink things.

It's a bummer that the independent restaurants have had such a rough go in the CBD, but I think it has more to do with the emergence of the North Loop and South Minneapolis dining scenes than any specific legislation. I really liked the BZ food, but the audience just wasn't there. And FL isn't exactly in an optimal location... kind of feels shut off from the world in there.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » April 6th, 2016, 12:53 pm

And FL isn't exactly in an optimal location... kind of feels shut off from the world in there.
It's windowless and decked out like a cheap hotel lobby bar. I get that they were doing for tucked-away coziness, but they missed the mark and there was no reason to go back.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 7th, 2016, 7:50 am

what a pathetic hit piece. and of course it contains the now mandatory blurb about receiving a phone call from chris coleman. does this dude "the mayor" just sit by his computer waiting for something to happen in Minneapolis...it's sorta weird. yea guy mpls just doesn't give a shit about your restaurant. gimme a break. and no st paul will not be able to support all these places. I dont' care how many CHS fields they get the state to build them. go take your shit to st paul you angry sob.

I live on the same block as revival. it's packed nightly and clogs all street parking for the neighborhood. the chicken's ok but I think the vibe of this place is a tad overrated. good luck on Selby ave

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 7th, 2016, 8:07 am

clogs all street parking for the neighborhood.
Time for meters on Nicollet in Kingfield?

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » April 7th, 2016, 8:30 am

what a pathetic hit piece. and of course it contains the now mandatory blurb about receiving a phone call from chris coleman. does this dude "the mayor" just sit by his computer waiting for something to happen in Minneapolis...it's sorta weird. yea guy mpls just doesn't give a shit about your restaurant. gimme a break. and no st paul will not be able to support all these places. I dont' care how many CHS fields they get the state to build them. go take your shit to st paul you angry sob.

I live on the same block as revival. it's packed nightly and clogs all street parking for the neighborhood. the chicken's ok but I think the vibe of this place is a tad overrated. good luck on Selby ave
I was wondering when the salty ones would come out and trash this. This board...man.If news comes out that doesn't 100% validate your life choices it must be wrong and the source is a POS, the groupthink can never be wrong. Every. single. time. Here's a newsflash for y'all: everything is not all hunky-dory here in lala land.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » April 7th, 2016, 8:49 am

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 7th, 2016, 8:55 am

I am using this as an executive summary on every document I write.
everything is not all hunky-dory here in lala land.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » April 7th, 2016, 11:35 am

I was wondering when the salty ones would come out and trash this. This board...man.If news comes out that doesn't 100% validate your life choices it must be wrong and the source is a POS, the groupthink can never be wrong. Every. single. time. Here's a newsflash for y'all: everything is not all hunky-dory here in lala land.
aww he's sad betsy hodges didn't text him... is this guy for real. validate what life choices? what are u talking about? did u read this man's actual quotes to the media? cow town usa.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » April 7th, 2016, 12:37 pm

Moving forward... it sounds like there might be something big planned for the old BZ space. Rick Nelson hinted that it would be a big deal and rumors are swirling. Something from a national brand... any ideas?

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » April 7th, 2016, 12:56 pm

Applebee's has long since represented a hole in the downtown market since the popular Block E outpost closed.

MattW
Rice Park

Postby MattW » April 7th, 2016, 1:27 pm

I'd love me some #halfpricedapps!

MAKE IT HAPPEN!

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 7th, 2016, 1:31 pm

Bubba Gump plz

dbaur31
City Center

Postby dbaur31 » April 7th, 2016, 1:44 pm

Moving forward... it sounds like there might be something big planned for the old BZ space. Rick Nelson hinted that it would be a big deal and rumors are swirling. Something from a national brand... any ideas?
This is speculative to the point of not even being worthy of the rumors thread, but I wonder if something involving Daniel Boulud and/or any of the other rumored investors in Spoon and Stable might be possible. Perhaps some sort of new concept that has Andrew Zimmern involved even. That would certainly qualify as big news. All the hoopla around S&S and Gavin Kaysen has certainly raised the profile of the food scene here, and there have been fairly regular celebrity-ish food types seen at the restaurant. It's hard to imagine Nelson being that excited about a national brand unless there are fairly big names involved.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » April 7th, 2016, 2:29 pm

So either we agree that our mayor should be personally calling every restaurant owner in the city whenever something occurs, or we are crazy groupthinkers living in lala land? No middle ground?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » April 8th, 2016, 2:50 pm

Klein's just pissed that Hodges doesn't have any sweet sweet 8-80 lucre to toss his way.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » April 8th, 2016, 2:59 pm

Loved his rant about the ACA. He "supports" health care as a right but can't make the leap to state that in fact business SHOULDN'T be paying for health care. We should have single-payer.

What a strange smattering of left/right talking points with no substance behind it.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » April 8th, 2016, 4:11 pm

Loved his rant about the ACA. He "supports" health care as a right but can't make the leap to state that in fact business SHOULDN'T be paying for health care. We should have single-payer.
'Rant'? You mean the single-sentence quote down in paragraph 4 of 6?

Also, How do you know he can't make the leap that businesses shouldn't pay for health-care? He's a restaurateur being interviewed for an article about why he closed his restaurant, not a article asking him his policy beliefs on health-care funding. It is not ideologically inconsistent to say you believe in something, but can't afford it. For all you know, he may have even said as much (they frequently do this thing called editing to interviews...).

"Hit-Piece", "Pissed", "Rant",

People sure seem oddly thin-skinned about what this guy has to say. At least he has the excuse that he just lost his business...