Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Restaurant News

Postby amiller92 » April 27th, 2016, 2:27 pm

Figured Brits would expand.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » April 27th, 2016, 4:48 pm

I'd love to see some decent windows come out of this, but seems unlikely. The 80s mirrored glass is really offensive.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » April 28th, 2016, 1:36 pm

Not specific to downtown:

So tonight my GF suggested we go out for dinner as it's 'Dining Out for Life' night (AIDS fundraiser), and I went to the website to see what it's about, and the % of proceeds donated are really high. So I was wondering, how in the world can that work? I understand that the restaurant business is tough so how can they all of a sudden donate 35, 50, or even 100% (there are a handful of places claiming that!) of meal proceeds to these events (which seem to occur with increasing frequency).

Is the restaurant just a conduit, and then the actual donation is made by some larger corporate entity or something (I noticed a list of larger corporate sponsors on the web page)? I mean, even if a restaurant only does this a few times a year it seems like it could easily be a real hit to absorb all the cost of operating.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » April 28th, 2016, 3:14 pm

Not specific to downtown:

So tonight my GF suggested we go out for dinner as it's 'Dining Out for Life' night (AIDS fundraiser), and I went to the website to see what it's about, and the % of proceeds donated are really high. So I was wondering, how in the world can that work? I understand that the restaurant business is tough so how can they all of a sudden donate 35, 50, or even 100% (there are a handful of places claiming that!) of meal proceeds to these events (which seem to occur with increasing frequency).

Is the restaurant just a conduit, and then the actual donation is made by some larger corporate entity or something (I noticed a list of larger corporate sponsors on the web page)? I mean, even if a restaurant only does this a few times a year it seems like it could easily be a real hit to absorb all the cost of operating.
The proceeds are 100% funded by the restaurant! That's why it's such a great reason to support the restaurants who do this - not just on this day, but overall. I would imagine it's a tax deduction for them, and a great way to be a good steward in the community.
My husband and I have been Dining Out For Life for years.
http://www.diningoutforlife.com/minneapolis

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » April 28th, 2016, 6:03 pm

This is the first I've heard of dining out for life; thank you for posting about it!

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » April 28th, 2016, 7:58 pm

Thx for the color. We went to Blackbird (right next door to Aliveness project). Was packed, so that alone explains a little bit. Big night of business, tax break, good cause, makes sense!

Ohiosotan
City Center

Re: Downtown Minneapolis Retail News

Postby Ohiosotan » May 7th, 2016, 12:58 pm

Bummed about the Caribou/Einstein taking over instead of a new local destination. As if there weren't enough chains there. Oh well, I'll stick to Nicollet south of Franklin like I already do anyway.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » May 7th, 2016, 1:16 pm

There aren't enough street-level chains (or stores/restaurants in general) on the mall or in the core. We've been saturated with higher end restaurants since the end of the recession.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 7th, 2016, 5:12 pm

If an establishment doesn't even offer a salt bagel it shouldn't be allowed to call itself a bagel shop. Einstein is embarrassing.

intercomnut
Rice Park

Postby intercomnut » May 7th, 2016, 10:05 pm

There aren't enough street-level chains (or stores/restaurants in general) on the mall or in the core. We've been saturated with higher end restaurants since the end of the recession.
Speaking of which... Does anyone have an opening date (or even month) for the Five Guys in RBC? All I've heard so far is Summer.

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » May 8th, 2016, 3:52 pm

If an establishment doesn't even offer a salt bagel it shouldn't be allowed to call itself a bagel shop. Einstein is embarrassing.
Oh God just shut up. It's a bagel shop with at least 20 different kinds of bagels. Stop being a pretentious snob, and just eat your bag lunch if you're too embarrassed to patronize Einstein's Bagel Shop.

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » May 8th, 2016, 5:09 pm

Oh look at me, I'm an adult who eats a chocolate chip "bagel" with strawberry frosting cream cheese.

They deserve derision.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 8th, 2016, 6:11 pm

Mod Note: Please refrain from personal attacks.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

SamHartmen

Postby SamHartmen » May 8th, 2016, 7:42 pm

Oh look at me, I'm an adult who eats a chocolate chip "bagel" with strawberry frosting cream cheese.

They deserve derision.
What is laughable is your pairing of bagel options, Strawberry whipped cream cheese goes with plain bagel, and chocolate chip bagel goes with whipped cream cheese. Although it's hilarious that you are so outraged that you can't even call it a bagel, instead you feel the need to use air quotes. :lol:

Your comment has made my day, thank you for that.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » May 8th, 2016, 8:19 pm

Jesus, just stop.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

UrsusUrbanicus
Nicollet Mall

Postby UrsusUrbanicus » May 8th, 2016, 9:46 pm

All of the bagels go in the bear instead. #HumanProblemSolved

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » May 9th, 2016, 8:46 am

All of the bagel chains are embarrassing.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 9th, 2016, 9:53 am

Today I'm eating a french toast flavored bagel I got in a bag of 5 in the refigerated section at Cub. Where on the Mother Teresa to Hitler scale does that put me? I'm thinking something like a Pol Pot?

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » May 9th, 2016, 9:56 am

Yeah, you're probably in Idi Amin territory there.

LakeCharles
Foshay Tower

Postby LakeCharles » May 9th, 2016, 11:29 am

Why is it that bagels have such harsh partisans? I never see people get furious about the rhetorical stretching of taco, or burrito, or sandwich, or pizza, or kebab, or the fact that bánh mì means bread and not a sandwich. People just kinda roll with it. Unless a shop tries to sell a bagel without salt on it, and then blasphemy.