Re: Downtown Restaurant News

Postby Tyler » December 14th, 2012, 12:56 pm

Sounds promising.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 14th, 2012, 1:17 pm

This is the place that was formerly to be called Bear Cheese.

EDIT: Sorry, same link as above.

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » December 14th, 2012, 4:28 pm

This part of Washington is starting to come together. It'd be nice if they could get some more green stuff on the sidewalks.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » December 14th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Plants are not historic.
Towns!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 15th, 2012, 12:19 am

Plants are not historic.
But Baseball is!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » December 18th, 2012, 10:29 am

Bullfrog to become 4th Bulldog location.
They were already under the same ownership (except NE, which is separate) but the cajun oriented Bullfrog wasn't doing as well as the others.
http://www.downtownjournal.com/index.ph ... ategory=92

Smack Shack to reportedly open on Jan. 22
http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... ext-month/

Borough restaurant and Parlor bar to open in Elsewarehouse on Jan. 2 (formerly called Bear Cheese)
http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/1 ... orth-loop/

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 18th, 2012, 10:45 am

Bullfrog to become 4th Bulldog location.
They were already under the same ownership (except NE, which is separate) but the cajun oriented Bullfrog wasn't doing as well as the others.
I stopped by the new Bulldog last night - they were already doing better than Bullfrog despite very little promo. Maybe most of the people were Matt Lakowich's friends.

Despite the vastly improved tap list, I have to say I'm a bit bummed about the change. With the exception of a handful of menu items, it was always a stretch to call Bullfrog cajun, but it did a good job at general Southern, something that few others really try to do in Minnesota (Brasa being the biggest exception imaginable). Anyway I was happy that I got in one last catfish po' boy with fried okra.
"Who rescued whom!"

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » December 18th, 2012, 1:14 pm

The Bullfrog was absolutely awful, and dirty taps the one time I went. Completely forgettable.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 19th, 2012, 10:47 am

The Bullfrog was absolutely awful, and dirty taps the one time I went. Completely forgettable.
What did you dislike about it? That their food was like something you'd get in Atlanta? Or that it was unlike anything you can get in Minneapolis?
"Who rescued whom!"

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » December 19th, 2012, 3:04 pm

What did you dislike about it? That their food was like something you'd get in Atlanta? Or that it was unlike anything you can get in Minneapolis?
Well, 'forgettable' isn't an adjective I'd generally use to describe Cajun/Southern food. Is IS an adjective I'd use to describe BULLFROG food. For the style of food it was bland. The interior design was bland. Top it off with a flat beer that had that skanky dirty tap taste and I was out of there. Maybe it was already on the downhill slide when I went this summer. I've noticed that it seems that once places get in trouble, it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy that they fail.

IMHO, a surprising 180 degree difference from the BullDOGs. Those places take their niche and step it up a level, with food and drink that surpasses what I would expect from what at first glance is a typical watering hole. This place stepped it down a level. Hard to believe it's the same ownership. I'm 100% not surprised it closed.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » December 19th, 2012, 4:09 pm

In my experience Southern food is typically rather bland - they make it greasy and salty and then you add hot sauce at the table as applicable. Bullfrog usually followed suit. Cajun food is not very bland, of course, and the handful of Cajun items on the menu at Bullfrog weren't bland. The andouille is one I remember. I'm not saying the place was gourmet, but the recipes were ok and it was a nice change. They certainly had quality control issues, though, as you point out.

Bullfrog's interior was phammed from the amazing Roman-themed gay bar called Gladius that preceded it.
"Who rescued whom!"

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » December 19th, 2012, 9:59 pm

Bullfrog's interior was phammed from the amazing Roman-themed gay bar called Gladius that preceded it.
Nice.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » February 28th, 2013, 10:13 am

Yet another restaurant coming to the NL, this time from Blue Plate:
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... nt-in.html

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 28th, 2013, 10:21 am

I think this one was already mentioned in here somewhere? It is supposed to occupy the one story part of the building fronting Washington.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » February 28th, 2013, 11:02 am

It was quickly discussed on the last page. Looks like there was a NL meeting where it was brought up.

There are lots of new options in the NL. Love to see the neighborhood thriving.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 28th, 2013, 11:05 am

I've got to check out this area next time I'm in town! The last time I drove around NL (2 years ago perhaps) much of the area was very quiet and dead-feeling, except a small stretch along Washington (I believe). I hope that's changed! It'd be great to see much of the area lined with small retail or commercial uses -- a fun area to window shop or walk through in downtown!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » February 28th, 2013, 11:29 am

It is still pretty dead and barren looking aside from Washington. I really think the city needs to reconstruct the streets over here...preferably with brick and historically accurate street lights. I think that would encourage more development. I know the original streets are fun and kitchy...but in some areas it is like you are driving on a bad dirt road, and I really think it is holding the area back from realizing its full potential.

PS, I am glad they decided to allow trees over here...I hope to see more of those too!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » February 28th, 2013, 11:55 am

there is so much land ripe for developement. this area is just beginning it's re-birth. take a walk north of target field and the interchange station. blocks and blocks of underutitlized land. and the gaps between washington toward 94. the smack shack and other destinations, bar la grassa, etc, are turning washington into a restaurant row.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 28th, 2013, 12:44 pm

there is so much land ripe for developement. this area is just beginning it's re-birth. take a walk north of target field and the interchange station. blocks and blocks of underutitlized land. and the gaps between washington toward 94. the smack shack and other destinations, bar la grassa, etc, are turning washington into a restaurant row.
THIS is what I was interested in seeing -- Washington Ave West of Nicollet become a true district for the North Loop! I was really hoping for this and hopefully, if it continues, it can be yet another fun downtown district to hang out in after work or on the weekends!