Downtown Parking Facilities

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
phop
Landmark Center

Re: Downtown Parking

Postby phop » May 3rd, 2016, 11:47 am

In other words, the city that's supposed to be working on behalf of the people is digging deeper into their pockets by helping businesses at the expense of residents?
So it's Minneapolis residents parking in these ramps during events? Right...

Carson Dyle
City Center

Postby Carson Dyle » May 6th, 2016, 10:04 pm

I've often wondered ... Is Minneapolis the parking ramp capitol of the world? Does anyone have stats, such as spaces per capita, or maybe percentage of spaces that are in ramps that could prove or disprove this?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » May 9th, 2016, 6:46 am

http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/m ... g-lot.html

Bob Lux sold the two full block parking lots at 10th & Hawthorne/Hennepin.

EDIT: This deal was announced a year ago, but the sale must have just closed recently...I don't know why they're reporting it again with minimal additional detail. See previous pages of this thread for discussion: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f ... =80#p96914

Silophant

Postby Silophant » May 9th, 2016, 7:25 am

Remember back in January (like, more than 90 days ago), when they said the Ramada lot (blue in the map in the linked article) would be closed in 90 days to sell for development? Wonder what happened to that.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

twincitizen

Re: Downtown Parking Facilities

Postby twincitizen » May 12th, 2016, 7:25 am

Mod note: Title changed to reflect that this topic is specifically about parking facilities (ramps and lots) in Downtown Minneapolis.

Beat your dead horses here: https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=1385

twinkess
Target Field

Re: Downtown Minneapolis General Topics & Development Map

Postby twinkess » June 24th, 2016, 11:49 am

"Why does downtown Minneapolis still have a lot of surface parking lots? It's complicated"

https://www.minnpost.com/politics-polic ... its-compli

SixOneTwo
Nicollet Mall

415 5th Street South Parking Ramp

Postby SixOneTwo » June 24th, 2016, 12:22 pm

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 182090.pdf

Minneapolis study group recommends building office space and relocating Fire Station #1 on the site of the city-owned parking facility site at 415 5th Street South. :D

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 24th, 2016, 12:23 pm

Looks like the city-owned Government Center parking ramp site bound by 5th St, 5th Ave, and 6th St is in play for a new city office building.
http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 182090.pdf

Getting rid of that ramp would be huge for getting rid of the "5th Ave Ramp Wall" effect and connecting Downtown East to the core via Gov Plaza.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 24th, 2016, 12:38 pm

It would also get rid of that crappy outdoor section of the skyway system, and might even allow for a tunnel connection to the Armory, depending on what ends up happening there.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » June 24th, 2016, 1:25 pm

Aren't those two separate ramps though? I read it as they were only going to demo the western one but it's so vague I don't know.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » June 24th, 2016, 1:55 pm

Huh. So they are. I've never actually noticed that those are two separate structures.

Edit: Upon investigating the Hennepin tax maps, the city-owned ramp is actually the eastern structure, facing the Armory. The western ramp (with the red tubes on the facade) is a privately-owned structure and would, presumably, stay as-is. Huh.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » June 24th, 2016, 2:26 pm

Yeah I thought we all knew that. You mean you folks used to not park in one of these ramps every day?

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » June 24th, 2016, 3:27 pm

I once accidently parked in the "court house" ramp an it wound up costing me a bloody fortune. It turns out that rarely parking downtown and thus not knowing where to park when you have to can get expensive.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » June 24th, 2016, 4:36 pm

CONFESSION: I really like the funky ramp with the red tubes
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » June 24th, 2016, 5:24 pm

I once accidently parked in the "court house" ramp an it wound up costing me a bloody fortune. It turns out that rarely parking downtown and thus not knowing where to park when you have to can get expensive.
I did the same thing last year. I had an interview downtown and parked in the ramp in question. I was startled at the rates but I was late for the interview so I drove in. I usually grab a meter on Portland. An hour later I owed $22. AND, I didn't even get the job.

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » June 24th, 2016, 8:46 pm

Reasonable to ask the city to choose to take some of the ground and open things up, pull back from the property line and give much wider sidewalks... and/or a plaza... or room for future protected bike space. Build a little bit more to grow into, or is that a poor use of money?

MobJob
Block E

Postby MobJob » June 24th, 2016, 10:18 pm

The West ramp with the tubes has a ridiculous, predatory pay structure. Early bird is pretty reasonable (~$10 for the day); however, if you park for only a few hours, I think it is like $27. If you get caught in that trap, it's infuriating.

Admittedly, I too like the look of the red-tubed ramp, but I still wish it would go so that the Commons area could connect to Government Plaza smoothly. Those two ramps really, in my opinion, are critical in connecting downtown east to the rest of downtown. Any movement on either ramp is a positive in my book.

xandrex
Wells Fargo Center

Postby xandrex » June 27th, 2016, 11:06 am

I did the same thing last year. I had an interview downtown and parked in the ramp in question. I was startled at the rates but I was late for the interview so I drove in. I usually grab a meter on Portland. An hour later I owed $22. AND, I didn't even get the job.
Yep, exact same issue a few years ago. Was running late, so I drove. Couldn't find a spot on the street. Then you drive up to get into the ramp and find out they charge $2 for the first half hour and something crazy after that. I interviewed for 1.5 hours...paid $22. Fortunately, I got the job. But that ramp is predatory AF.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » June 27th, 2016, 1:43 pm

CONFESSION: I really like the funky ramp with the red tubes
I love it! Would never park there though.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BE4t7JRA0kr/

Mdcastle
Wells Fargo Center

Re: Downtown Parking Facilities

Postby Mdcastle » June 27th, 2016, 8:28 pm

The only time I had the misfortune of needing to park in downtown Minneapolis for the whole day was when I was on jury duty. (this was pre-light rail). They specifically suggested we not park in the Government Center ramp due to the expense and suggested we look for a surface lot.