Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
twincitizen

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby twincitizen » December 11th, 2012, 10:42 pm

According to Hennepin County property records, the four blocks covered by the Ryan agreement have a value for taxation of about $18 million. The fifth parcel owned by the newspaper across from the light-rail station that is slated to be part of the stadium development is valued at about $3.3 million for tax purposes. The Star Tribune has confirmed that the land is for sale. Last spring, the newspaper hired Russ Nelson, a broker with Minneapolis-based Nelson, Tietz & Hoye, to handle real estate dealings regarding the downtown land.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » December 11th, 2012, 11:01 pm

There's the historic Armory on the map, but where is the historic art moderne Star Tribune headquarters? Oh, that red dot for 'future development'.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 12th, 2012, 10:11 am

There's the historic Armory on the map, but where is the historic art moderne Star Tribune headquarters? Oh, that red dot for 'future development'.
I'm about to right an email... NIM(historic start tribune headquarters)BY lol

But great news, I really hope they work some magic there and not just some stuff. This could be the future of Minneapolis or it could just be Minneapolis.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » December 12th, 2012, 10:19 am

I really enjoy the area that has developed around San Diego's Petco Park (which I know is baseball, and smaller). I'd really hope that DTE could become a really cool new neighborhood, maybe even on a bigger scale than that.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » December 12th, 2012, 10:25 am

I really hope there's a way to conserve at least part of the historic Strib building.

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » December 12th, 2012, 10:48 am

While I know it's is architecture is of some significance, I always think the Strib buidling is just plain ugly. That doesn't mean it should or shouldn't be saved of course...just saying this is one of those buildings I just haven't been able to love. I guess the setting it is in doesn't help. Maybe if they could just save the middle portion, with the Strib lettering.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » December 12th, 2012, 11:02 am

Hey, that San Diego neighborhood looks nice. Screw the ball game. I'd just like to hang out there with a few friends at a sidewalk restaurant, and watch people walk by who aren't wearing too many clothes. (And didja notice? Nary a surface parking lot in sight!!)

Maybe Target Field will feel something like that, someday somehow, but it will take a design superseding all levels of heretofore seen stadium genius to make that happen at the new Vikings stadium.

Anyway, back to the Strib and Armory stuff. A big difference is that the whole Armory is worth preserving. (Someday somehow.)

Most of the Strib building wouldn't be missed, including the interior. It's just that wonderful facade, which could conceivably be stripped right off and rebuilt elsewhere, say, wherever the Strib creates a new HQ. On the other hand, if plans call for simply demolishing that facade, I'm all for historic preservationists getting on the villains with the aggressiveness of a pit bull on a mail carrier's buttocks.

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » December 12th, 2012, 11:52 am

I don't think DTE will look anything like SD for quite a while if there are indeed 3 blocks of 'open space' as the proposed site plan shows. I can't think of an NFL stadium that doesn't isolate itself from the city; even Indy, Detroit and Seattle don't have anything near Petco Park. I hope we can make "the People's Stadium' mesh well with the neighborhood, but the scale makes it difficult.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 12th, 2012, 11:57 am

I think the best way to view the stadium is to treat is almost entirely separate from the neighborhood. Let the neighborhood develop how it wants around the stadium and let the stadium be the stadium. I'm not even sure if I care how much the stadium compliments the neighborhood. I HATE gimmicky things and although most of that Petco development is completely organic, they were clearly trying to emulate Wrigley Field in Chicago IMO when I first started hearing about the development around Petco. I guess I don't like it when people try to copy what worked well in other cities, and I'd rather we do our own unique thing -- whatever that means -- as long as it's successful and popular.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 12th, 2012, 11:58 am

Since this is independent from the actual stadium development, I just created a separate thread:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=1036

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » December 12th, 2012, 12:40 pm

But great news, I really hope they work some magic there and not just some stuff. This could be the future of Minneapolis or it could just be Minneapolis.
Don't get your hopes up.

MillCityTimes
Block E

Postby MillCityTimes » December 13th, 2012, 11:44 am

Planning for this is further along than the Strib reports. According to a high ranking, trusted source, this will be a mixed use development that includes residential. No decision on whether the residential will be rental or owner occupied. Look for tax subsidies to be the main point of contention.
David Tinjum
Mill City Times
http://MillCityTimes.com

uptown067
Metrodome

Postby uptown067 » December 13th, 2012, 9:43 pm

Excellent discussion about the stadium district on MPR today. It's worth listening to the full audio vs reading the article:
http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... s-stadium/

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » December 14th, 2012, 7:59 am

I really enjoy the area that has developed around San Diego's Petco Park (which I know is baseball, and smaller). I'd really hope that DTE could become a really cool new neighborhood, maybe even on a bigger scale than that.

It helps that San Diego has been/is progressive in developing their transit system. 3 corridors with 53 stations can really connect people to places without cars and parking lots. remember that san diego is a peer region with almost the exact same population as the twin cities region. as we work towards what san diego has already realized in downtown development density, things will get better here, although it's hard to compete for creation of a walkable/livable downtown environment with a place that has perfect weather. still, that doesn't give us a pass for getting on the train so late. they completed their first line 23 years before we completed our first line.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » December 14th, 2012, 8:36 am

^So these things take time......that's what I got from what you said, even though I agree with what you said.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » December 20th, 2012, 8:08 pm

It is done. This thread is for discussion of the Vikings Stadium: The site, the architecture, the planning, the construction.

Other discussion can go here, for reasons outlined in the first post of that topic.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 26th, 2012, 5:41 pm

Nothing really new here, but I got this e-mail update the other week from the group that lobbied for the Vikings stadium efforts.
While it is fairly quiet in the news media, significant progress on the new stadium project continues behind the scenes. Together with the Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority (MSFA) and HKS, the Vikings are moving forward on the stadium design concept, which is set to be completed in late spring 2013. Discussions surrounding potential retractable features, seating bowl layouts, video board placements, as well as accommodations for soccer, baseball, basketball and other and other multiple uses are just some of the areas of focus.

Recently the team and the Authority also began the process for what will be one of the group’s most important decisions, hiring a construction management firm, which will be responsible for building the new facility. Given the size and profile of this project, firms from across the country are expected to submit bids and a selection is expected to take place in late January 2013.

Meanwhile, the Vikings and the Authority have completed their first round of public listening sessions, which were designed to gather feedback and answer questions from not just Vikings fans but from community members and other users of the facility. Following stops in Minneapolis, Duluth and Rochester, the Vikings also held a Season Ticket Owner conference call with Vikings Vice Presidents Lester Bagley and Steve LaCroix, as well as HKS Principal Bryan Trubey.

To listen to the audio from that call, click here. Follow along with Trubey’s presentation here.

Thank you for your continued support, and as always, send your questions and comments to [email protected].

Sincerely,

Minnesota Momentum

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » December 30th, 2012, 10:44 am

For what it's worth, Sid Hartman says to expect the stadium construction firm to be announced within 10 days.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » December 30th, 2012, 1:29 pm

F&C and MPR talked about bids in by Jan 8th and finalists by the 25th. It would be nice if the were ahead of schedule. I would have to say my money is on Mortenson.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » January 7th, 2013, 9:03 pm

http://www.thejournalmpls.com/voices-fe ... in-between

Interesting editorial on the need for greener infrastructure as part of the "people's stadium."
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.