Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
John
Capella Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby John » May 13th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Indigenous? Sure, looks a bit like a portable pop-up fish house.
Wait until you see Ryan's project down the street! ;)

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » May 13th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Three quick pointed observations:
1. Most obvious the North roof pitch being completely solid would look better if it were broken up in anyway; streaks of windows, a running crease or two coming out from the West peak down to the East.
2. The East entrance apex looks like a lonely portal in a back alley.
3. I did not see every minute of the presentation, but did the give any credence to the plaza whatsoever? They mentioned park like green spaces, at grade approaches and, sky'walks', but for the most part it looks like a slab of concrete.

Initial impression was negative for the aforementioned points, but there are elements I like. The images on the website are growing on me:
http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/phot ... d0e381d0d0

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » May 13th, 2013, 7:49 pm

Reminds me a lot of HKS's Metrodome Next renderings from a few years back. Seems to me they lacked new ideas, sort of threw in the towel

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » May 13th, 2013, 7:49 pm

The inside looks great. The outside not sure about yet.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » May 13th, 2013, 7:51 pm

On the solid roof portion could they make it a green roof even if it's sloping? Of course that would probably entail more roof reinforcement.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » May 13th, 2013, 7:52 pm

I think this building is going to be another eyesore in 30 years. I don't like it.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 13th, 2013, 7:55 pm

God. This is so depressing.

When will the color renderings be released?
Towns!

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » May 13th, 2013, 7:56 pm

It also doesn't seem that "inviting" to me. Guess I figured there would be more glass on the outside - still kind of feels like it will be a fortress.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » May 13th, 2013, 8:00 pm

Could we petition to become the Minnesota Jawas?

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » May 13th, 2013, 8:04 pm

Underwhelmed. Looks like a large, angular greenhouse. BTW, it will have the largest moving windows only because the owner is too cheap to fund a retractable roof. Now both features would have wowed me.

MS3

Postby MS3 » May 13th, 2013, 8:04 pm

On a scale of 1-10 I give it an 8. I was hoping for at least a 7. I also believe it will look better once it's existing verses on paper. It fits the downtown core.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 13th, 2013, 8:08 pm

We should probably wait until the more detailed renderings come out before we judge the surrounding land use, plazas, etc.

That said: The giant blank wall facing north...what? Really? The overall scheme isn't terrible (and by the way, this is what we get when we pretend asymmetrical buildings look nice) but I'm really surprised they just...didn't do anything with half the roof. Maybe it won't be a huge deal from ground level but that's just odd to me that they would do that.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Garrett
Block E

Postby Garrett » May 13th, 2013, 8:10 pm

To me this is just lazy and random architecture conveniently labeled as Modern so we can think we are progressive. Just because its different and 'iconic' doesn't mean its automatically going to be good. The top half of the picture with the giant asymmetric flat grey walls...hideous. What a joke this will be, not going to be timeless IMO.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » May 13th, 2013, 8:12 pm

I think it's absolutely brilliant. Looks a bit like a ship. Echoes the Walker Art Center a bit. Has literally the largest clear roof on planet Earth.

The north side is where the parking ramp will be. It's not pictured but it'll be there. Also, on the "prow" where the picture of Adrian Peterson is will actually be the logo of the entity that gets naming rights.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » May 13th, 2013, 8:13 pm

Oh, I'll play that game!

On a scale from 1-10, I give it a 5. It's nice, obviously because it's $1B, but it's not nearly nice enough for the price of the stadium. To think that we could have a faux retro stadium with minimal thrills (like TCF) instead for a fraction of the price all of the sudden sounds very very appealing to me. I honestly think that somebody (the team, the city, the GC, etc.) decided that saving money and/or making money was more important than building SOMETHING that is iconic and a true by-product/baby of our city. No, this is fairly deplorable, I'm sorry. I really have a hard time coming up with positives here. The Dome was 50% of this thing's size and yet it holds the same number of people -- that makes this thing much less efficient in terms of space usage. I realize we want more concourse space but this is not what I was thinking.

I'm still a fan (a stadium will never change that) and I think that of all of the leagues in pro sports, NFL stadiums have the least correlation between great stadium and great fans/iconic architecture.

ECtransplant
US Bank Plaza

Postby ECtransplant » May 13th, 2013, 8:17 pm

What if some ivy was added to the giant, empty gray slabs?

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » May 13th, 2013, 8:18 pm

I'm interested in how the skyway will be integrated into the surrounding area. Will it go through the Ryan development? Also i hope that they add some green to the surrounding area.

uptowncarag

Postby uptowncarag » May 13th, 2013, 8:23 pm

I love it. I am just curious how much taller it is than the Metrodome? Looking forward to see the plaza and Star Tribune blocks which will be unveiled tomorrow.

PLGTMD
Block E

Postby PLGTMD » May 13th, 2013, 8:27 pm

According to emporis, the metrodome is 195 feet tall. So if this is over 300 feet it's quite a bit taller.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 13th, 2013, 8:30 pm

it's a huge glacier like sculpture. it has the bow of a viking ship. those "blank" walls have definition, it just isn't very clear in these renderings. i like the use of zinc. we have enough kasota stone in this city.

I'll take this over lucas oil, cowboys stadium, giants stadium and the 49er's stadium. this is superior to all of those.

minnesotans are overly critical anyway. the negatives don't surprise me.