Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
David Greene
IDS Center

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby David Greene » September 4th, 2013, 12:56 pm

For the record, I always said that if we have to build this thing, it should be in Minneapolis. To limit sprawl if nothing else.
I don't know how much sprawl a stadium induces, but at the very least locating it in Minneapolis leverages our existing (and growing) infrastructure and is centrally located to the region's population.
That's kind of the definition of avoiding sprawl, right?

As for what the Arden Hills location would have done, look up the planned freeway expansion. I doubt that (over-)capacity would have been left unused by hungry developers.

Totally agree about the poor interaction with the street.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 6th, 2013, 7:59 am

Haulin' dirt, yo.
Towns!

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 6th, 2013, 9:04 am

Could this possibly be for something else besides the stadium? Perhaps some related utility work? I was under the impression that because the formal agreements with the Wilfs hadn't been inked yet, that no work could begin.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 6th, 2013, 10:33 am

This story is 3 days old, but man that Bob Lux is being a real ay es es. http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... vents.html

This whole plaza/ramp situation is completely the City's own creation. The Wilf's literally begged the City not to sell the plaza/ramp to Mpls Venture (Lux) and even counter offered to pay more for it. It's hard to side with the Wilfs on anything, but god damn they were the only ones thinking clearly when that sale went down. The City just insisted on selling this ramp to Mpls Venture as part of a larger package of ramp sales... Whose pockets got lined on that deal??

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » September 10th, 2013, 11:55 am

As I said a Viking fansite that I help work on conducted an interview with Lester Bagley regarding the stadium. Here is teh link to that 3 part interview. It is pretty long but informative.

I realize that not everyone is a fan of the team or even the project, but please respect the board and it's users.

Thanks!

http://vikefans.net/index.php?/topic/28 ... er-bagley/

mplsjaromir
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mplsjaromir » September 10th, 2013, 3:11 pm

Zygmund Fraud and his whole crew of thugs should be drug tested anytime the state issues bonds for the new stadium. States around the country dehumanize people with drug tests who recieve $130/month in SNAP benefits. I think the least we can do is demand urine and blood analysis of the Wilf syndicate for the treasure they are asking.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 10th, 2013, 3:15 pm

I'm mostly ambivalent about the Viking's stadium (happy that it's getting built, but wishing the state had gotten a better deal). But holy cats, that Lester Bagley makes my skin crawl. He is a caricature of the sketchy PR hack.

MumfordMoses
City Center

Postby MumfordMoses » September 23rd, 2013, 6:03 pm

Well if this settlement holds up, it's quite possible Dayton won't get his wish for the Viking's to put up more equity. Furthermore, they might cut corners on the design. What an unfortunate issue:

http://www.startribune.com/politics/blo ... 92702.html

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » September 23rd, 2013, 8:11 pm

They can go back to the drawing boards for all I care!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 24th, 2013, 6:19 am

this has no bearing on anything. these people have vast wealth and investment partners. and also this will go to appeal which will drag this out another couple years. and the governor helped negotiate this deal and his motivations at this point are just poltical posturing. this goes in every NFL city. team gets "loan" from NFL, team gets seat license fees and stadium naming rights. blah blah blah....nothing new here minnesota.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » September 24th, 2013, 11:29 am

One report last night stated that the appeals could actually go on for a generation. Unfortunately for the former business partner, that means he probably won't ever see a cent. His family will though, eventually.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 25th, 2013, 12:33 pm

HKS architects have updated their website.
http://www.hksinc.com/places/minnesota- ... e-stadium/

robotlollipop
Metrodome

Postby robotlollipop » September 25th, 2013, 5:16 pm

With everything I've seen so far, I actually love the design. Reminds me of a glacier and should look pretty neat in the snow. However, I do wonder why we haven't seen any images of the opposite side. Is it just going to be a huge wall?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » September 25th, 2013, 5:25 pm

The second image in that site's slideshow is the opposite (east) side. It's a pretty big wall, but there's another full-height window in it. I actually think it's a pretty cool design as well.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » September 25th, 2013, 8:49 pm

According to your fav old guy and mine. Sid Hartman "An announcement on financial arrangements could come as soon as Friday, and the digging could begin."

http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikin ... 80031.html

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » September 25th, 2013, 9:00 pm

HAHAHAHAHA just as I thought, a 5 year old designed the stadium by drawing some random lines on a napkin! Those giant blank walls and random angles would be great...if you're trying to design a bunker in the USSR. Why do we feel the need to pretend to be unique and progressive with this novelty gimmick stadium? :roll:

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 26th, 2013, 6:28 am

well yea, this is how designs begin in the heads or architects. could be something that pops in their head at any given moment. even a napkin while having lunch. you expect full blueprints from the beginning?

and if you want a stadium designed in the traditional sense of these buildings we have that in TCF bank stadium. great cities of the world are full of buidlings you probably find gimmicky and unorthodox. minneapolis has a long storied history of modern architecture. the list is long.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 26th, 2013, 7:50 am

well yea, this is how designs begin in the heads or architects. could be something that pops in their head at any given moment. even a napkin while having lunch. you expect full blueprints from the beginning?
Yes, exactly. Initially, the architect for the stadium was imagining the abstract essence of what the form of the building will be , then moved forward with the details later as the design evolved. This is a very similar process that happens in other visual arts like drawing, painting, sculpture.

stock345
City Center

Postby stock345 » September 26th, 2013, 3:49 pm

^or even some performing arts

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 26th, 2013, 4:22 pm

the cancelled "the nicollet" started as a scribble on a bar napkin too... by some buzzed chick if I remember correctly. ;)

it's how these thing's happen.