Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathaniel
Metrodome

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Nathaniel » August 8th, 2012, 8:21 am

Not sure if you guys saw this, but this guy nails it.

http://www.minnpost.com/community-voic ... e-mistakes
"All of the concept drawings of the now-approved Vikings stadium proposal include large swaths of dedicated tailgating lots near the stadium. ... Although tailgating has some positive features – it is a big community gathering in a public space, an event during which people actually use the public realm – tailgating’s destructive qualities outweigh its benefits."
It's insane they are even considering open surface tailgating zones downtown. Oh yeah, makes perfect sense to have an entire square block of parking dedicated to grilling dogs' 10 days a year.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » August 8th, 2012, 9:23 am

Rather than have tailgaters bring their own, the Vikings want to herd people to a spot where they have to purchase beer supplied by Zygi Wilf. The plaza accomplishes that. Now it's up to the stadium partners to determine how to make the plaza into something that's useful on non-game days. Despite what the concept drawings have shown, I don't think anyone's seriously considering leaving surface lots in place exclusively for tailgating.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » August 8th, 2012, 9:55 am

Nailed what??? I don't see ANY large swaths of tailgating spaces. There's a space for it sure... But large swath? Not really.

spectre000
Landmark Center

Postby spectre000 » August 8th, 2012, 10:11 am

A reminder of the current site plan. A full block for tailgating. At least two+ blocks worth for plaza space. And some half blocks noted in green that could be either tailgating or plaza. I'd call that a large swath. But if the four blocks of Star Trib land just west get redeveloped, it'll be a huge improvement over what is there currently.

But realistically, what is the likely redevelopment for the lots that close to a stadium. I can't see a whole lot of high density residential right across the street from a football stadium. Plaza, greenspace, and parking is about all you can ask for.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » August 8th, 2012, 10:25 am

Does there yet exist a natural or artificial surface that can be used dual-purpose as athletic fields for youth/amateur sports (soccer, baseball, etc) and can hold up as a parking surface during the nasty fall/winter seasons? Maybe a block large gravel lot, remove the cars, and unroll the soccer turf over the top? The Elliot Park and Cedar Riverside communities would welcome access to some playing surfaces.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 8th, 2012, 10:26 am

Not sure if you guys saw this, but this guy nails it.

http://www.minnpost.com/community-voic ... e-mistakes
"All of the concept drawings of the now-approved Vikings stadium proposal include large swaths of dedicated tailgating lots near the stadium. ... Although tailgating has some positive features – it is a big community gathering in a public space, an event during which people actually use the public realm – tailgating’s destructive qualities outweigh its benefits."
It's insane they are even considering open surface tailgating zones downtown. Oh yeah, makes perfect sense to have an entire square block of parking dedicated to grilling dogs' 10 days a year.
wHICH IS WHY IT SHOULD'VE NEVER been built here. Arden Hills made WAY more sense. You guys don't get it and never will. After reading all of this it's stunning you guys wanted the stadium in the first plce??? Why did you? The whole city gets polluted with suburbanites for a whole day. 10 DAYS A YEAR!

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 8th, 2012, 10:53 am

nasa, relax, most of us citizens of Minneapolis didn't actually want a stadium (well, at least one we have to help pay for). That's the whole reason for the legal charade to avoid the referendum.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » August 8th, 2012, 10:53 am

i generally like your posts but give it a rest already.

most NFL stadiums are in city centers-and they do just fine! why are we still debating this? did we all get in a time machine and go back to 2011?

tailgating at NFL games won't be an issue for the vast majority of dates this facility will accomodate. when the final four and super bowl are bringing excitement to our downtown we'll be happy we chose to maximize the public investment and site this in our city center, not out amidst acres of surface parking to make zygi wilf richer.

they're choose the architects next month. It's happening!

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 8th, 2012, 10:55 am

i generally like your posts but give it a rest already.

most NFL stadiums are in city centers-and they do just fine! why are we still debating this? did we all get in a time machine and go back to 2011?

tailgating at NFL games won't be an issue for the vast majority of dates this facility will accomodate. when the final four and super bowl are bringing excitement to our downtown we'll be happy we chose to maximize the public investment and site this in our city center, not out amidst acres of surface parking to make zygi wilf richer.

they're choose the architects next month. It's happening!
Mullen...seriously. The constant complaining about tailgaiting is getting old.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » August 8th, 2012, 2:30 pm

" tailgating’s destructive qualities outweigh its benefits."
???????? :? I don't know what tailgating they are referring to, but I must have gone to the wrong places. Are people blowing up pavement that I'm not aware of?

Since we're already criticizing the development before we have any sketches, I'd like to say that I'm very dissapointed in the design and clearly they could have put more thought into the layout. Where are the dog parks, wind mills, and $80,000.00 drinking fountains?

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 8th, 2012, 2:44 pm

" tailgating’s destructive qualities outweigh its benefits."
???????? :? I don't know what tailgating they are referring to, but I must have gone to the wrong places. Are people blowing up pavement that I'm not aware of?

Since we're already criticizing the development before we have any sketches, I'd like to say that I'm very dissapointed in the design and clearly they could have put more thought into the layout. Where are the dog parks, wind mills, and $80,000.00 drinking fountains?
Exactly. The old Met was the best ever; the players would come and join the tailgators after the games. It's a blast. While there is drinking, this image of a bunch of drunks is just ignorant.

They should do whatever they can to make the game day experience worthwhile.....FOR THE FANS, not people who could give a rat's a$$.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » August 8th, 2012, 3:58 pm

In a print out of the drawing, the tailgating area appears to have 2 football fields drawn on it. I can't see how horrible it would be to have a park that during non game days could have kids and adults playing football or soccer. Better than a parking lot in my opinion.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » August 8th, 2012, 5:52 pm

The overwhelming majority of "tailgating behavior" is grilling brats and burgers. Oh no not that!! :o

Tailgating is basically one giant cookout, with people hanging out, throwing a football around, taking pictures, and yes....having an adult beverage or two. Fucking Christ, mullen...you act like tailgating is the equivalent of the Hells Angels at Sturgis. :roll:

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 8th, 2012, 5:55 pm

The overwhelming majority of "tailgating behavior" is grilling brats and burgers. Oh no not that!! :o

Tailgating is basically one giant cookout, with people hanging out, throwing a football around, taking pictures, and yes....having an adult beverage or two. Fucking Christ, mullen...you act like tailgating is the equivalent of the Hells Angels at Sturgis. :roll:
I don't think Mullen was really the one being snarky about this. In fact, Mullen is usually pretty decent IN MY OPINION. I agree with your angst but IT's mis-directed.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » August 9th, 2012, 10:34 am

Nasa, you are so single-minded about this that you aren't seeing the forest for the trees.

It is without question that the Arden Hills site would have presented a better opportunity for tailgating; nobody disagrees. The purpose of building a billion dollar NFL stadium was not to facilitate tailgating.

Ultimately it did and still does make more sense to invest a billion dollars in a multi-use stadium, public spaces and improving infrastructure in a stagnant area of downtown Minneapolis than it did to invest more money to create a marginally better NFL experience isolated in Arden Hills.

Because people on an urban development discussion board are sharing thoughts and ideas on how to best incorporate tailgating into 365-day urban life downtown is by no means a sign that the sky is falling and that building downtown was a terrible mistake.

There is still no question in my mind that a billion dollar investment downtown will go exponentially further than a bigger investment in Arden Hills.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » August 9th, 2012, 10:39 am

Nasa, you are so single-minded about this that you aren't seeing the forest for the trees.

It is without question that the Arden Hills site would have presented a better opportunity for tailgating; nobody disagrees. The purpose of building a billion dollar NFL stadium was not to facilitate tailgating.

Ultimately it did and still does make more sense to invest a billion dollars in a multi-use stadium, public spaces and improving infrastructure in a stagnant area of downtown Minneapolis than it did to invest more money to create a marginally better NFL experience isolated in Arden Hills.

Because people on an urban development discussion board are sharing thoughts and ideas on how to best incorporate tailgating into 365-day urban life downtown is by no means a sign that the sky is falling and that building downtown was a terrible mistake.

There is still no question in my mind that a billion dollar investment downtown will go exponentially further than a bigger investment in Arden Hills.
King...I'd agree with you...however, you're not seeing the comments, are you? I'm responding to the attitude and ignorance surrounding Tailgating and the game day experience.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 9th, 2012, 12:24 pm

King...I'd agree with you...however, you're not seeing the comments, are you? I'm responding to the attitude and ignorance surrounding Tailgating and the game day experience.
What exactly are you talking about? The negative comments here are about the potential under-utilization of land. What pisses you off so much about someone not wanted an abundance of tailgating lots downtown? Not everyone shares your priorities.

That said, I don't see some huge problem here. I think the soccer/football field will get a lot of additional use and the plaza is large but not overly. What's proposed is way better than that massive lot in front of Qwest in Seattle.
Towns!

Shawn
Site Admin

Postby Shawn » August 9th, 2012, 7:30 pm

Lets address each other less, and what each other say more. No personal attacks, just tell someone that you strongly disagree with their idea. I agree that some opinions are stupid, but instead of saying that I prove it with facts/figures/arguments.

This is one of our most popular/viewed threads, I'd love if it was less volatile

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 10th, 2012, 11:27 am

A soccer or football field occupying block(s) in downtown is not the highest and best use regardless of if there's tailgating there 10x a year.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » August 10th, 2012, 12:07 pm

So to recap a block and some possible other space but we don't know for sure. Oh my.... the sea of tailgating!

It's basically one block. on the edge of downtown on land that is basically worthless otherwise. Find a way to dual use that space on non-gamedays and call it good.
A reminder of the current site plan. A full block for tailgating. At least two+ blocks worth for plaza space. And some half blocks noted in green that could be either tailgating or plaza. I'd call that a large swath. But if the four blocks of Star Trib land just west get redeveloped, it'll be a huge improvement over what is there currently.

But realistically, what is the likely redevelopment for the lots that close to a stadium. I can't see a whole lot of high density residential right across the street from a football stadium. Plaza, greenspace, and parking is about all you can ask for.