Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Nathan
Capella Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2012, 3:05 pm

My co-workers are looking at me like I'm some sort of idiot... I LOVE THEM!!!

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » September 28th, 2012, 3:28 pm

The architects sound like they sincerely took feedback from the public in both designing the Lucas and Dallas stadiums. That is a positive because they don't have any particular aesthetic "formula" which they will impose on the community. I also think their recent experience with designing international sports facilities have made them more sophisticated. However, If they hear a great deal of feedback that people want a post-modern historical looking stadium, they will probably design it that way. I'm hopeful (and crossing my fingers) most people will feel we need something more modern and "cutting edge" (with a regional twist) that connects to our strong modernist Minneapolis architectural tradition. We will see.
All of us on UrbanMSP better be at those meetings then, because I don't have much faith that Joe Schmoe from Brainerd and Diane Stepford from Chaska have the same appreciation for innovative, artistic, inspirational modern design as you or I might.

I have a feeling that the public is going to get what they want; a nondescript Lucas Oil Stadium-shaped box (with a Kasota stone facade and arches to match the adjoining LRT station for extra pizzazz!) :|

I would agree, almost everyone who lives outside the city is a mental midget

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2012, 3:34 pm

Both are working for me now, previously it was only the glass one. The second one is interesting; it's almost like a mix between the Bird's Nest and the Water Cube from the 2008 Olympics. I like that both seem to be playing up the natural light quite a bit.
I like the second one because it looks like Minnesota... like the DEN airport looks like Colorado. It looks like you could just XX Ski or snowmobile right across it!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » September 28th, 2012, 3:34 pm

That works out great since almost everybody who lives inside the city is an actual midget.
Towns!

1200onthemall
Nicollet Mall

Postby 1200onthemall » September 28th, 2012, 4:23 pm

http://journalmpls.wordpress.com/2012/0 ... ic-images/

Interesting images. I'd love to know how this fits into the neighborhood.

martykoessel
Landmark Center

Postby martykoessel » September 28th, 2012, 4:43 pm

I see that second one as something of a riff, conscious or not, on the Sydney Opera House. Cool as it may be, it's super conceptual. The skyline is not Minneapolis, and I can't imagine that undulating roof as retractable.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » September 28th, 2012, 4:54 pm

I see that second one as something of a riff, conscious or not, on the Sydney Opera House. Cool as it may be, it's super conceptual. The skyline is not Minneapolis, and I can't imagine that undulating roof as retractable.
The whole roof looks to be open air... the metal supports between the glass window walls and the roofing materials. I don't see why it wouldn't work just a stones throw from the Guthrie... We need something like this. Plus there could be a similar glass wall on the west side, as the east side, that opens up.

MSPtoMKE
Rice Park

Postby MSPtoMKE » September 28th, 2012, 4:58 pm

It certainly looks like it is a somewhat schematic rendering of the Minneapolis Skyline in the second one. The street grid is more or less correct, and the big three are there as well. Not saying they didn't use a conceptual rendering that could have been designed for anywhere, but they at least took the time to put it in an approximation of the correct context. And I really like the second one, but the style may be a little too out there for many people. The first is nice, too, a little more conservative while still modern.
My flickr photos.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 28th, 2012, 5:30 pm

I have a feeling that the public is going to get what they want; a nondescript Lucas Oil Stadium-shaped box (with a Kasota stone facade and arches to match the adjoining LRT station for extra pizzazz!) :|
I think your description here is a possible outcome of the design. Worst case scenario is it will look hokey and provincial rather then being indigenous yet futuristic (Like Target Field). Probably the best outcome was what Tyler suggested earlier on this thread with a collaboration between HKS designing the retractable roof and interior with another firm designing the character of the exterior. Oh well, I'm already joking to myself we may soon have the most beautiful retractable roof in the world on top of a crappy looking stadium. I pray I am wrong!

mplser
US Bank Plaza

Postby mplser » September 28th, 2012, 5:51 pm

That works out great since almost everybody who lives inside the city is an actual midget.
I'm 6'5"

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 28th, 2012, 7:07 pm

I think it's bad policy to pit rural, suburban, and urban against each other in the stadium design. There are many, many great examples of fantastic architecture throughout Minnesota. But with the new stadium, I think there needs to be a design focus on its location within a downtown that's highly modernistic in character. A faux historical design will look awkward if not weird on a backdrop of our city's very contemporary skyline and cultural facilities.

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » September 28th, 2012, 10:14 pm

The second one reminds me of the new Brooklyn Nets arena, Barclays Center.

Aville_37
Union Depot

Postby Aville_37 » September 28th, 2012, 10:31 pm

Wow! Love both, but am leaning towards the top image. Love the glass. Reminds me of ice - perfect for MN's snowy, icy winters. How about that for a theme?

The design team has to be highly aware of how the Metrodome is a failure in terms of connecting to the city. I foresee the new stadium being very open, with lots of windows, etc.

Think we have enough buildings with the kasota stone, though. I love it, but since it's heavily used for Target Field - think the Vikings stadium will be built with different materials. Glass/metal.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » September 28th, 2012, 11:43 pm

What about St. Peter Sandstone or St. Cloud Granite?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 29th, 2012, 12:00 am

I don't know how I missed seeing these yesterday, but it clearly demonstrates a maturation of HKS with a better sense of design sophistication. I suspect their involvement in helping design stadiums on an international level has been a great learning experience for them. This makes me more confident they have the ability to create some striking for our stadium.

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » September 29th, 2012, 9:48 am

If they can pull off the first one, I'll be extremely happy. It would be the most modern looking stadium in the whole country and not just for football.

writruth
Nicollet Mall

Postby writruth » September 29th, 2012, 10:29 am

Before seeing these latest renderings, I too, thought we might get stuck with a hulking, barn-like structure along the lines of Lucas Oil Stadium. I've been encouraged by these latest renderings and comments by the designers that we just might end up with a sophisticated, iconic and modern stadium.

I wonder if the Wilfs will flex their development muscles and erect a towering convention hotel adjacent to the stadium, the likes of which they included in early plans at the ammo dump site.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » September 29th, 2012, 1:48 pm

I think it's bad policy to pit rural, suburban, and urban against each other in the stadium design. There are many, many great examples of fantastic architecture throughout Minnesota.
Props for an appropriate response. Rural Mn thanks you.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » September 29th, 2012, 2:02 pm

It was good to hear HKS say their designs have been aimed to the desires of their customers. I believe there are still enough forward thinking authorites in Mlps to get a fairly modern design built.

New thought I had looking at these new images concerns more the structural design of the new facility. Previous sketches have show a playing surface close to street level, but being that the dome's field is actually well below street level might a stadium like this be quicker and more affordble to build? Aka: more money available for open west wall/roof?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 29th, 2012, 3:22 pm

If my work schedule permits, I am going to try to attend one of these community meetings for public input on the design. I think there is widespread agreement on this forum we want something unique, modern, forward looking, with an iconic presence that says " Minnesota" and "Minneapolis". I think the architects need to hear this loud and clear.