Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Silophant

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Silophant » October 14th, 2012, 3:45 pm

Awesome. It may look kinda weird from the outside, but that's a really cool view from the inside.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » October 15th, 2012, 8:43 am

This evening might be the only chance for interested people in Minneapolis to voice their stadium-related concerns directly to the architect. The other open houses will be outstate or in the burbs.

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... pen-house/

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » October 15th, 2012, 9:13 am

just go to espn.com it's a story from september I believe. the ncaa is exploring siting future final fours at arenas. a number of attractive cities for hosting the event do not have roofed stadiums. it's just in the exploratory phase and I'm sure our new stadium will be part of the rotation.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » October 15th, 2012, 1:18 pm

More renderings of rejected designs:

http://minnesota.publicradio.org/displa ... m-designs/

Seth
Metrodome

Postby Seth » October 15th, 2012, 1:28 pm

Minus Ewing's proposal they're all pretty awesome. Populus' looks interesting, but it's difficult to get a solid idea without a 3d rendering. Glad that there weren't a bunch of Lucas Oil designs in there.

Anyone know how long it'll be before HKS comes back with a more finalized concept?

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » October 15th, 2012, 1:58 pm

Minus Ewing's proposal they're all pretty awesome. Populus' looks interesting, but it's difficult to get a solid idea without a 3d rendering. Glad that there weren't a bunch of Lucas Oil designs in there.

Anyone know how long it'll be before HKS comes back with a more finalized concept?
Renderings by HKS will be released around January 2013.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 15th, 2012, 2:25 pm

As I expected, the AECOM design is fantastic. Majorly disappointed.
Towns!

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » October 15th, 2012, 2:34 pm

AECOM is the only other one that competes. I'm disappointed by populous... actually.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » October 15th, 2012, 3:19 pm

Without trying to offend, could you elaborate what about the AECOM design sicks out to you?

I actually do like the lower half of their design, but the transition to the roof makes me think DOME. Which I personally am not interested in.
Also, I would prefer a more open look to the west end skyline window instead of the two slots with an odd corner roof section in their proposal.

As for the other renderings I actually really like what HNTB tried to do with the "people movers" on the outside of the stadium here:
Although their overall proposal may not have been great. I think a combination of #7 and #8 would be interesting.

I also really like the last rendering from HKS with all the windows:Image
The framing of the west window here is much better than other designs, there are no awkward ceiling support running through the view as in AECOM's proposal.
And it appears they have the field slightly below grade as it is now which keeps the seating on the West wall from obstructing the view of the Skyline.
The one thing I really don't like from this view is the angled ceiling panels really just look like flat two-dimensional pieces of cardboard, but that may come out in the wash.

Feel free to disagree, but please be specific. :)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » October 15th, 2012, 3:28 pm

Love that interior shot of the HKS proposal. I do worry about having that much glass though. The way things seem to go, if it had a design flaw (like forgetting to compensate for snow weight or whatever) the public would be on the hook for every last penny to fix it.

If we do end up with a design similar to this, I'd love it if a few of the panels on the skyline-facing side could be motorized to open like a giant sliding glass door to let some fresh air in on nice fall days.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » October 15th, 2012, 3:55 pm

AECOM is the only other one that competes. I'm disappointed by populous... actually.
Ditto. AECOM looked quite promising as well... though I am not a fan of the asymmetry in the interior view.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 15th, 2012, 4:24 pm

Without trying to offend, could you elaborate what about the AECOM design sicks out to you?
Well, I love the interior with the AECOM design. You get a true retractable roof which covers the seating and leave the field open to the sky -- exactly as it should be. I think the skyline view is sufficient and I like the asymmetrical look in this instance. I also don't think the roof supports look bad at all. Much better then the mess in either HKS rendering. I am also a fan of the minimalist exterior. I think it's a classy and elegant design. Both HKS designs are interesting but too gimmicky, IMO. Now, the end result may be completely different, but I don't see how a lack of a complete, feasible, design is a positive here. Seems to me AECOM had the best, ready to go design.
Towns!

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » October 16th, 2012, 6:09 am

I still don't get the field level suites.
Why would you want to see the players standing on the sideline or sitting on the bench and watch the game on the TV in the suite? maybe you cna get a smelly towel or empty Gatorade cup from one of the water boys as a souvenir.

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » October 16th, 2012, 7:14 am

More HKS design art here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/110143835/HKS ... esentation

Starting on page 19.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 16th, 2012, 9:54 am

I can't tell you how angry I'll be if the stadium has a Cowboy-stadium style jumbotron hanging over the field, as a few of those rendering suggest.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » October 16th, 2012, 11:38 am

I actually kind of like the large scoreboard hanging up high enough that traffic outside can see it.

nasa35

Postby nasa35 » October 16th, 2012, 11:50 am

I actually kind of like the large scoreboard hanging up high enough that traffic outside can see it.
I agree, that would be a bright light emitting during a night game.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » October 16th, 2012, 11:59 am

I agree, that would be a bright light emitting during a night game.
But it completely ruins the open air illusion which is what makes this design unique. Totally out of place, IMO.
Towns!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » October 16th, 2012, 1:28 pm

I still don't get the field level suites.
Why would you want to see the players standing on the sideline or sitting on the bench and watch the game on the TV in the suite? maybe you cna get a smelly towel or empty Gatorade cup from one of the water boys as a souvenir.
It's not about the game at that point, it's about the private and upscale space that you're in. Odds are most people don't care that much about the game in a place like this, it's more a place for networking.

aguaman
Nicollet Mall

Postby aguaman » October 16th, 2012, 1:38 pm

I can't tell you how angry I'll be if the stadium has a Cowboy-stadium style jumbotron hanging over the field, as a few of those rendering suggest.
Yes, i don't like the idea of a 'jumbotron' creating shadows on the field.