Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium

Postby mullen » February 10th, 2014, 8:30 am

it's not a baseball venue, its primary purpose is football. so i'm sure what will appease you. nothing will and just chalk it up to a difference of opinion on this building.

i've read quotes from a number of local architects who love the building's design.

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » February 10th, 2014, 9:10 am

Not to mention what would stop someone from tossing in a grenade? I know it's silly but where is the security from the outside of those doors to the inside?

You are looking at a video rendering and making statements about what the end security will be? Do you really believe the NFl,, the Vikings, and the local police are going to allow for such easy target? Hell why couldn't someone just walk up to the right field entrance at target field and lob a grenade in? Hey you can walk along the fenceline of the state fair... what are they thinking?

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » February 10th, 2014, 12:45 pm

And a big WTF to the hockey and basketball setups. No matter where you sit, you're cut off from the rest of the crowd, ruining the atmosphere of attending a live event.

This place is example #1 of why multipupose stadiums don't work.
First this isn't a multipurpose stadium like the Metrodome, this is a football stadium that can host other sports. I know that doesn't sound like a big deal but when you are designing a stadium it is.

Second find me NFL stadium that can host hockey and basketball well, you can't they all suck. Quite simply it's a too big of space to have any atmosphere. But lets not pretend that they are going to be hosting hockey and basketball games there regularly. Outside of the occasional one off event (I.E. Hockey City Classic) the Winter Classic and the Final Four are the only two annual hockey and basketball games I can think of off the top of my head that take place in football stadiums.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » February 10th, 2014, 1:05 pm

But lets not pretend that they are going to be hosting hockey and basketball games there regularly. Outside of the occasional one off event (I.E. Hockey City Classic) the Winter Classic and the Final Four are the only two annual hockey and basketball games I can think of off the top of my head that take place in football stadiums.
So we are wasting money designing and building those elements...why?

J2K
Metrodome

Postby J2K » February 10th, 2014, 1:31 pm

That's just an example of the temporary seating the NCAA uses at football stadiums for the final four. Nothing to design... It's just an example... Geez. 1st post btw. Great board!

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » February 10th, 2014, 1:39 pm

I guess I don't really understand where the outrage is coming from, particularly at this stage in the process. The "Minnesota Multi Purpose Stadium" is an NFL stadium that has functionality to host other uses. The aesthetics of the baseball alignment are, honestly, among the least important concerns for this stadium.

The stadium's baseball functionality is intended simply to give small, local teams an opportunity to play early-season games in the winter months. If Minneapolis ever needs a ballpark for a meaningful baseball game with more than 14 fans, I can think of one that's not too far away.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 10th, 2014, 2:28 pm

While I think some are both (1) overreacting and (2) a little late on the outrage about the baseball layout, it's not reasonable to simply say it's "among the least important concerns". Everybody knew it wasn't going to be a premier baseball venue, but the Vikings were initially being unreasonably difficult about accommodating its use as an NCAA baseball venue. They were actually fighting hard to force a field layout that wouldn't even meet NCAA's minimum spec, despite the fact that by event volume, NCAA baseball will be about ten times as common as pro football. The final compromise apparently meets NCAA's minimums. Basically, allowing a little more mobility to the stands in a few critical places would allow for a more regularly-shaped baseball outfield.

Regarding the hole in center field, I'm sure that's just the result of initial renderings - they'll have a proper outfield wall along the warning track.

I don't think it's really that bad - the field isn't that far off, and these are just conceptual renderings anyway. It is too bad the Vikings weren't willing to make the field a little more convertible for the sake of a better baseball layout though.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » February 10th, 2014, 2:36 pm

But lets not pretend that they are going to be hosting hockey and basketball games there regularly. Outside of the occasional one off event (I.E. Hockey City Classic) the Winter Classic and the Final Four are the only two annual hockey and basketball games I can think of off the top of my head that take place in football stadiums.
Economics!! Plain and simple. You want your property to cash flow all year round. They are designing these elements to enhance the city and the area. The Gophers with out the indoor stadium would have a difficult time playing ball in the very early spring. I went to a Twins game where it was snowing in April. They are designing this building so that it CAN BE used for more than the 10 football games. These are so that we get the most bang out of our bucks. You can do Baseball, Final Four, concerts, and Expos. They all generate money for the MSFC, and draw people to the area that spend their money at neighborhood establishment. That is my clarification on why it is done this way.

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 10th, 2014, 2:57 pm

My favorite Frequently Asked Question on the new site: "Will I be able to purchase a similar seat to my current seat at Mall of Metrodome?"

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » February 10th, 2014, 3:00 pm

Economics!! Plain and simple. You want your property to cash flow all year round. They are designing these elements to enhance the city and the area. The Gophers with out the indoor stadium would have a difficult time playing ball in the very early spring. I went to a Twins game where it was snowing in April. They are designing this building so that it CAN BE used for more than the 10 football games. These are so that we get the most bang out of our bucks. You can do Baseball, Final Four, concerts, and Expos. They all generate money for the MSFC, and draw people to the area that spend their money at neighborhood establishment. That is my clarification on why it is done this way.
To be fair, I think he was asking this question about the basketball and hockey options, not about the baseball setup. Remember that baseball is an absolute requirement for this facility and wasn't up for debate.

Still, your answer is essentially right, the cost of being able to plan for a setup for arena-type events is relatively small and even if the facility isn't *good* for them, it won't take many of those events to bring in more money than the marginal increase in costs that comes with having a setup available.

BigIdeasGuy
Union Depot

Postby BigIdeasGuy » February 10th, 2014, 8:18 pm

To be fair, I think he was asking this question about the basketball and hockey options, not about the baseball setup. Remember that baseball is an absolute requirement for this facility and wasn't up for debate.

Still, your answer is essentially right, the cost of being able to plan for a setup for arena-type events is relatively small and even if the facility isn't *good* for them, it won't take many of those events to bring in more money than the marginal increase in costs that comes with having a setup available.
You just hit the nail on the head, I promise you the cost of building hockey and basketball functionality combined is less than the cost of the baseball functionality alone. Whether people like it or not we are building a billion dollar stadium we might as well build it to host as many events as possible to get the best return that we can.

fehler
Rice Park

Postby fehler » February 11th, 2014, 9:50 am

The walls are starting to come down. I hope they're getting some pictures from inside the dome looking up, it must be a cool sight with the roof off.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 11th, 2014, 10:08 am

You just hit the nail on the head, I promise you the cost of building hockey and basketball functionality combined is less than the cost of the baseball functionality alone. Whether people like it or not we are building a billion dollar stadium we might as well build it to host as many events as possible to get the best return that we can.
We did have a stadium that worked for football, basketball, hockey, soccer, baseball. All of the tenants seemed to be happy with it, save one.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » February 11th, 2014, 10:09 am

*Remaining* tenants. Of the three big ones, two had already GTFO.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » February 11th, 2014, 10:09 am

Towns!

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » February 11th, 2014, 10:36 am

I love how so many cannot get over the fact that this new stadium is being built. The dome was antiquated compared to todays standards. Nobody liked being there during game day because the concourses are too small, there weren't enough restrooms, even the suites were nothing special. Target Center is the arena version of the Metrodome. We are going to get a nice comparison to see if people will be satisfied with a remodel versus a new facility. I can guarantee you that about 10% of people are going to like it, everyone else will say it didn't go far enough (they're already saying that), and the team will start complaining in 5 years that it needs a new building.
Nobody wanted Lucas Oil Stadium, and most wanted somthing unique. Well, in breaking news, we are getting a unique stadium. One that is cutting edge and, for all of the complaining about the hulking walls, they have acutally listened and refined the design to add more glass and try to break it up a little more. I'm excited about this new building and can't wait to see the finished product. I think a lot of critics will come around on this when it's complete, some have, unfortunately, already made up their minds.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 11th, 2014, 11:24 am

Everyone likes nice things when they aren't looking at the dollars. The reality is the dome was paid off, and nobody was asking for a new stadium other than the Vikes. I'm excited for new buildings too, I'm just not excited to pay for them.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » February 11th, 2014, 11:31 am

Everyone likes nice things when they aren't looking at the dollars. The reality is the dome was paid off, and nobody was asking for a new stadium other than the Vikes. I'm excited for new buildings too, I'm just not excited to pay for them.
If memory serves me correctly - I believe the Twins hated playing ball there. Since they didn't get any of the revenue. Which is why they wanted their own stadium. So I think it's a stretch to say that only the Vikings were asking for a new stadium. Unless you're referring to after the Twins left... ?

IllogicalJake
Target Field

Postby IllogicalJake » February 11th, 2014, 11:40 am

Yep, everyone was loving "the worse venue in professional sports." Even ESPN and Fox play off the dome's horrible rep, including counting down the 10 worst Metrodome moments earlier this year. I understand the money concerns, but can you really say nobody wanted a new stadium? Nobody was happy with how badly the Dome aged.
i talk too much. web dev, downtown. admin @ tower.ly

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » February 11th, 2014, 11:40 am

Unless you're referring to after the Twins left... ?
yep. Anyways, it's being built and that's that. It just seems ridiculous that we're talking about how this new stadium will accommodate non-Vikings events (baseball, etc) potentially worse than the paid-off Dome did.