Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby MNdible » March 25th, 2013, 8:19 pm

Sorry, I was thinking these were from HKS, but they're from HNTB. Anyway, they're located here, and they're not the same ones that had appeared elsewhere.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » March 26th, 2013, 1:14 pm

I don't think that interior alignment means anything for the exterior architecture.

shaqwn
Block E

Postby shaqwn » March 27th, 2013, 11:26 am

Just curious if, in the discussion about tailgating, anybody has made a comparison to "The Grove" at Ole Miss.

http://taylortailgates.com/tailgating-i ... -ole-miss/

It's a huge deal, but there is no tailgating from cars. It all takes place in a green space on campus and is done under tents. At a preset time, car traffic on adjacent streets is shut off and fans are allowed to start setting up tents (nobody can "stake their claim" to a spot prior to this preset time). Mornings of the game are a huge party. The team even walks through the Grove on the way to the stadium. Sporting News called it the Holy Grail of tailgating.

They do it on the formal side, but ditch the bow-ties, pralines and chandeliers and replace them with weber grills and it seems like it could be a great fit.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » March 27th, 2013, 11:36 am

I've often said this is a great compromise for both the Vikings and TCF Bank. Why devote so much land to parking just to accommodate 7 (Gophers) and 8 (Vikings, ok, maybe more if playoffs) home games per year of car-based tailgating? I love tailgating - I do it on the River Flats at the U for most games. But open park space, closed off streets as plazas, food trucks, rental coolers/grills at the parks, and bars pouring out to patios (and streets) with people makes for just as good of an atmosphere of "tailgating" as the traditional big lot. And it allows for an ultra-urban location of a stadium to not conflict with building a great neighborhood where people live, play in parks, eat, and drink on a normal basis the other 357 days a year.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » March 27th, 2013, 12:19 pm

Having something like The Grove would be AMAZING! I done tailgating for both Vikings and Gopher games... it always ends up being more work than it's worth.

A few problems I see with trying to change it:
1. The Grove is "no flame" and that would not go over well here.
2. What will happen to all of the purple or maroon buses?
3. Snow clearing?

I see myself as a pre game patio occupant for future games.

ps- I can't wait for the Vikings to move to TCF for 2 years. It's gonna be great!

go4guy
Foshay Tower

Postby go4guy » March 27th, 2013, 4:24 pm

This could work in a DTE park for the Vikings stadium. But TCF has all those parking lots for much more than just TCF events. Those are much needed for the school and other events at the U. Those parking lots are packed much more often then they are empty.

Ubermoose
Nicollet Mall

Postby Ubermoose » April 5th, 2013, 10:19 am

Listening to KFAN yesterday and Pat Kessler says we are still 2-3 weeks away from an official rendering of the stadium. He says they are still trying to figure out the moveable wall/window, retractable roof options.

John21
Rice Park

Postby John21 » April 5th, 2013, 4:21 pm

Listening to KFAN yesterday and Pat Kessler says we are still 2-3 weeks away from an official rendering of the stadium. He says they are still trying to figure out the moveable wall/window, retractable roof options.
Wow still trying to decide? A movable wall/window is a complete waste of money.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 6th, 2013, 10:13 pm

I've been a bit out of the loop, but I saw a headline that there is a bill in the legislature now that would delay any state funding until the source of the money gets figured out. Is there anything to that, or is it just a stunt? If it's a legit bill, you'd think that could delay plans/construction, no? Pat Kesler on KFAN the other day said that things are moving forward now basically because the Vikings put $50 million on the table already.

On an unrelated note, I was at the Dome tonight for the Minnesota United season opener (MN United is the local Div. 2 soccer team formerly known as the Thunder/Stars). The National Sports Center stadium is a pretty good soccer stadium for Div. 2 standards, but it's so far away. The momentum for soccer in this city has definitely picked up over the past couple years, and soccer is such an urban sport; I really hope the talk about designing the stadium with soccer in mind is more than just lip service.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » April 7th, 2013, 2:06 pm

This could work in a DTE park for the Vikings stadium. But TCF has all those parking lots for much more than just TCF events. Those are much needed for the school and other events at the U. Those parking lots are packed much more often then they are empty.
The long-term plan for that area calls for many of the lots to the north of TCF to be developed and parking decks added to make up the difference. It would be nice if we/the U stopped giving in to certain demands for parking and always replace with just as much as existed with surface before-hand. On/Near-campus housing is gaining in units (a LOT), the CC LRT is slated to open, etc. The U should help be a catalyst for lowering car traffic by providing less car storage.
The momentum for soccer in this city has definitely picked up over the past couple years, and soccer is such an urban sport; I really hope the talk about designing the stadium with soccer in mind is more than just lip service.
Hasn't MLS stated no new teams if they share stadiums with other teams? I read they want to build a brand with soccer-specific stadiums that have capacity that meets demand (no giant tarped-off areas making it look like a 2nd-tier sport with no fanbase). I would think passing up on allowing expansion in a progressive city similar to Seattle and Portland when stadium financers and owners are willing to make it work for soccer seems a little odd but maybe the MLS would be willing to wait?

JMS9

Postby JMS9 » April 8th, 2013, 6:01 pm

Back to the VIKINGS.......they are slowly revealing new uniforms on their website. Looks like they're ditching the bright purple and yellow for a darker purple and truer looking gold. Maybe incorporating black into the uniform too, if the team cleats are any indication. New logo, new uniforms, new stadium.....

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » April 16th, 2013, 7:01 am

Well, for whatever it's worth, at least one informed individual now guesses that the roof won't retract. But his opinion doesn't seem to have come from possession of any inside information.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... table-roof

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » April 16th, 2013, 7:23 am

Back to the VIKINGS.......they are slowly revealing new uniforms on their website. Looks like they're ditching the bright purple and yellow for a darker purple and truer looking gold. Maybe incorporating black into the uniform too, if the team cleats are any indication. New logo, new uniforms, new stadium.....
There are a few other teaser pictures out there as well (check out this website that has a few more images: http://www.purplejesusdiaries.com/)

From what we've been given so far, suggests a more classic design, and not some radical Nike design that they've been known for.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » April 16th, 2013, 9:42 am

Well, for whatever it's worth, at least one informed individual now guesses that the roof won't retract. But his opinion doesn't seem to have come from possession of any inside information.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/post/_ ... table-roof
I was going to post this yesterday too, but the thread was still locked.

Unfortunately he does make some good points, but I'm still optimistic that something will work out.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 16th, 2013, 10:13 am

From what we've been given so far, suggests a more classic design, and not some radical Nike design that they've been known for.
Let's pray that doesn't happen.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » April 16th, 2013, 10:50 am

Uniforms.
Towns!

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 16th, 2013, 11:08 am

Uniforms.
Phew! thanks

lap99
Block E

Postby lap99 » April 18th, 2013, 3:06 pm

Please, please, please let the stadium be a more traditional design. I feel this is more intimidating to visiting teams, rather than some abstract, new age design that Minneapolis seems to be known for. It seems ridiculous to spend millions of dollars on something that will look more like we are into art rather than sports.

MotorCity2TwinCities
Nicollet Mall

Postby MotorCity2TwinCities » April 18th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Please, please, please let the stadium be a more traditional design. I feel this is more intimidating to visiting teams, rather than some abstract, new age design that Minneapolis seems to be known for. It seems ridiculous to spend millions of dollars on something that will look more like we are into art rather than sports.
Is this serious?

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 19th, 2013, 1:23 am

Because lord knows it's more important to design a building to "intimidate" visiting teams 16 times a year than it is to design it so the people who actually live in Minneapolis can stand to look at it.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]