Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
Tyler
Foshay Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby Tyler » May 14th, 2013, 9:53 am

Are people saying the skyways will extend from the CBD to the stadium? What is that based on?
A slide during the presentation.
Towns!

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » May 14th, 2013, 9:54 am

I'm really disappointed this isn't a Supertall! :D

Does anyone know if there's a possibility for Rollerdome to return to the new stadium? I see a continuous concourse above the big glass doors, but if there's only a single one, that could make things difficult.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 14th, 2013, 10:15 am

^^^Viktor. There was a slide in the presentation last night that showed the sky system map. It showed an extension connecting the new stadium to the current system.

Also this from the Vikings.com facts and figures:

"Parking ramps with skyways from the north and south sides of the stadium and connections from the facility to the downtown skyway system."

MumfordMoses
City Center

Postby MumfordMoses » May 14th, 2013, 10:16 am

there will be louver openings on the east side also, per Vikes Lester Bagley.

west end windows will only take a couple minutes to open.
That's great news. But I think they can figure out more such openings, esp on the south side. It would be ideal if they could open some of the roof, strategic places that breathe more outside air when the time is ripe.

nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Postby nordeast homer » May 14th, 2013, 10:17 am

If you go to Vikings.com some of the slides show the skyways coming out of the structure so you can see what part of the building they connect with and which direction they head.

mark
Block E

Postby mark » May 14th, 2013, 10:26 am

For me, the biggest issue is the non-transparent part of the roof. I think if the roof had been entirely clear, it'd be much improved.

Isn't there a cost-effective way to increase and decrease the opacity of a roof like that on the stadium?

Dalgar
Block E

Postby Dalgar » May 14th, 2013, 10:31 am

For me, the biggest issue is the non-transparent part of the roof. I think if the roof had been entirely clear, it'd be much improved.
Agreed! I wonder why this wasn't done. The ETFE is lighter than anything else, so it can't be a structural reason. Cost?

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 14th, 2013, 10:34 am

i have been wondering about that also. why isn't the entire roof transparent?

it resembles a viking ship the more and more i look at these renderings. a big, hulking ship...guess that's appropriate for a football stadium.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » May 14th, 2013, 10:40 am

Are people saying the skyways will extend from the CBD to the stadium? What is that based on?
There was a slide during the presentation that had the skyway system map, and it included two branches from the main system over to the stadium site, presumably going through the Strib blocks.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » May 14th, 2013, 10:52 am

In watching the presentation, I believe he said something about the reasoning behind only having the south half of the roof clear was that the north half would shade the north stands. Basically it's all about sun studies. I wonder if they have actually done these and just not released them yet. I remember there were lots of Target Field sun studies showing different times of day at different times of the year.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » May 14th, 2013, 11:02 am

Bold, unique and modern without being too eccentric and gimmicky. That's not easy to do. I'm a fan.

EDIT: It also looks like a viking ship, which is what I was hoping for from the get-go.
The more I look at it , the more I can see the influence of both Scandanavian culture with an unusual blend of a Japanese paper Origami geometry. It's unique, but I agree not too overdone or gimmicky. I think for some of the critics, it's a building that will take time to appreciate. It will be interesting to see it how this works out when its completed.

TWA
Nicollet Mall

Postby TWA » May 14th, 2013, 11:08 am

North facing windows (or in this case a roof) get much more sun than any other direction- turning the whole stadium into a greenhouse. They want shade to keep it from getting too much solar heat. Also all the body heat from the people already heat the building up. If they didn't shade it, they would have to have their A/C running full blast even in the winter to keep the place from getting so hot and muggy on game days. Don't even want to think about what a warm sunny day would be like in there if it was all glassed in.

EDIT: Now I am confused and I think I have that backwards... moss grows on the north side of a tree right? So that means the south gets more sun... wish I had paid more attention in Astronomy class now.

So yeah, I have no idea, clearly
Last edited by TWA on May 14th, 2013, 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » May 14th, 2013, 11:11 am

you're right, didn't think about that.

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » May 14th, 2013, 11:54 am

As you've figured out TWA, it's the south side which gets the direct sun. So that's not the reason. I agree with all of you though: an all-etfe roof solves a lot of my issues with this. I wonder if that was ever on the table.
Towns!

moda253
Nicollet Mall

Postby moda253 » May 14th, 2013, 11:58 am

I'm trying not to but I really hate this roof. I guess too expensive to do all ETFE?
In homes, north facing rooms get more sun and keep rooms warmer. I would imagine they want to block that out so it doesn't get too hot and act like a $1bil greenhouse
Say what? North facing rooms get the least sun and are cooler and is the reason why moss grows on the north side of the trees.

I'm not sure North Face chose that name for their company to show that their products can withstand the warmest of climates.

Edit: I see you flipped it around. I thought I was going crazy because I've always known the north facing side to be the cold side. Many plants didn't live very long in my north facing apartment.

Dalgar
Block E

Postby Dalgar » May 14th, 2013, 12:59 pm

North Face Stadium. I like it.

Avian
Union Depot

Postby Avian » May 14th, 2013, 1:24 pm

Anyone else have other thoughts for names? 3M Field? Betty Crocker's Family Dome? Valhalla?

“Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something.”
― Plato

talindsay
Wells Fargo Center

Postby talindsay » May 14th, 2013, 1:44 pm

It's half of a good stadium design: the south and west sides are pretty good and I like the creativity of its architectural expression. But the north and east sides are pretty poor, in my opinion, not offering much chance to embrace the area. Given that we live at 45 degrees north there's not much sense in spending a lot of money on big windows on those sides, but at least some efforts to liven up the design would have been appreciated.

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » May 14th, 2013, 1:56 pm

I guess my question is, what is there on the north or east side of the stadium that we want to embrace? Most of what is there is highway or entrances to highway. I can understand that it would be nice if that gets bridged over and developed, but I honestly don't know if that will ever happen.

hoffm83n
Metrodome

Postby hoffm83n » May 14th, 2013, 2:01 pm

They should connect west bank but im not sure that's going to happen even with a redesign of washington ave.