Vikings Stadium Miscellaneous Discussion

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
mullen
Foshay Tower

Re: Vikings Stadium

Postby mullen » August 16th, 2012, 10:08 am

i hope populous gets the job. they are three for three with xcel center, tcf bank, and target field. all three venues are considered near the top of their respective leagues.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 16th, 2012, 11:18 am

i hope populous gets the job. they are three for three with xcel center, tcf bank, and target field. all three venues are considered near the top of their respective leagues.
Yes, an excellent choice for the new stadium! They are very thoughtful about the context of the site and its relationship to the area around it. They approach every project with a fresh perspective. Even their projects that have historical references do not look cliche'. This is a tremendous opportunity to build something bold and iconic for our city!

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » August 20th, 2012, 10:17 am

Here's a bit of news regarding the Strib. Taking on new tennants and announcing you're in "no hurry" to sell might just be a negotiating ploy, but count me among those who think their headquarters will still be there when the stadium dust settles.

http://www.minnpost.com/braublog/2012/0 ... ess-tenant

Jfuss
Metrodome

Postby Jfuss » August 30th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Here are the firms that submitted proposals...

AECOM, Ewing Cole, HKS, HNTB, and Populous.

There will be a open presentation of past projects given by the above firms on September 6th at the Metrodome. Note the presentation is only of past designs and not new design ideas.

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » August 30th, 2012, 8:49 pm

Here are the firms that submitted proposals...

AECOM, Ewing Cole, HKS, HNTB, and Populous.

There will be a open presentation of past projects given by the above firms on September 6th at the Metrodome. Note the presentation is only of past designs and not new design ideas.
I don't know how the whole process works, so thanks for the update! Do you know are there likely to be designs submitted by multiple firms, or will one firm be chosen before we see ideas/designs from all of them?

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » August 31st, 2012, 11:48 am

"Stadium renderings and plans won't be unveiled to the public until an architect is picked"

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... ml?refer=y

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » August 31st, 2012, 12:24 pm

"Stadium renderings and plans won't be unveiled to the public until an architect is picked"

http://www.startribune.com/local/minnea ... ml?refer=y

"...Finalists will appear at a public forum at the Metrodome at 5 p.m. Sept. 6 to show off their resumés. Stadium renderings and plans won't be unveiled to the public, however, until an architect is picked, Mondale said. That decision is expected to be announced at the authority's Sept. 14 meeting.

The authority and the Vikings hope to break ground on the stadium next summer and open it in time for the 2016 NFL season. The Vikings recently submitted a bid to the NFL to host the 2018 Super Bowl at the site."
Thanks!

Rich
Rice Park

Postby Rich » September 2nd, 2012, 9:24 am

For what it's worth, this morning Sid Hartman speculated the HKS, designer of Cowboys Stadium and Lucas Oil Stadium, is the favorite. Sid is well connected but I'm not sure if he's a good prognosticator. We'll see what happens.

jennifat
City Center

Postby jennifat » September 2nd, 2012, 7:58 pm

For what it's worth, this morning Sid Hartman speculated the HKS, designer of Cowboys Stadium and Lucas Oil Stadium, is the favorite. Sid is well connected but I'm not sure if he's a good prognosticator. We'll see what happens.
Ugh, I really hope that's not the case. I just took a look at their stadiums portfolio, and with the exception of Cowboys Stadium, almost of their work is of the faux historic variety. We simply can NOT allow that kind of architectural laziness in as vibrant and sophisticated of a metropolitan area as our own.

jennifat
City Center

Postby jennifat » September 2nd, 2012, 8:01 pm

Wait, what? Is that for real? The word v i b r a n t is censored?

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 2nd, 2012, 8:42 pm

Ugh, I really hope that's not the case. I just took a look at their stadiums portfolio, and with the exception of Cowboys Stadium, almost of their work is of the faux historic variety. We simply can NOT allow that kind of architectural laziness in as v*****t and sophisticated of a metropolitan area as our own.
You are right on the mark with your comments. This makes me nervous because creating a faux historic design would look extremely cliche', provincial, and do nothing to create an icon that symbolizes our city in the 21st century.A huge mistake. This needs to be avoided, or, as I said in an earlier comment, people with think: " the Lucas Stadium in Minndianapolis!"

Le Sueur
Landmark Center

Postby Le Sueur » September 2nd, 2012, 9:50 pm

Wait, what? Is that for real? The word v i b r a n t is censored?
Apparently this:
https://forum.streets.mn/viewtopic.php?f ... rant#p3096

Mainly this:
http://www.thebaffler.com/past/dead_end ... kin_street

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 3rd, 2012, 1:26 pm

i hope it's not HKS. sadly the vikings ownership is obsessed with the indianapolis stadium and seem to want to copy it. i personally find it a boring design.

the cowboys stadium is ok for texas...an oversized monstrosity. i do like it's modern approach. i'd prefer something akin to a european futbol design.

i hope populous gets the commission. they have a great track record of designing sports facilities that fit this market.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 3rd, 2012, 2:07 pm

I don't think releasing a handful of site plans using Lucas Oil Stadium as a scale placeholder for the new Vikings stadium qualifies them as being "obsessed" with it. We just played a Super Bowl in Indianapolis and it was a logical graphic to use. They could have blown up a stadium-sized football and plopped it down in DTE, but that's harder to imagine.
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » September 3rd, 2012, 4:33 pm

i'm not going off any site plans. every time i have heard zygi or mark wilf interviewed they bring up lucas oil stadium as their model .

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 3rd, 2012, 4:48 pm

I think Lucas Oil is a model not because of the way it looks, but because of the way it functions. Not clear exactly what makes it so different, but apparently there's something about the way the seating in the facility is designed that makes it a much better multi-purpose venue than a typical NFL stadium.

From their website:

Lucas Oil Stadium’s unique features include its flexibility in design and ability to accommodate a multitude of events beyond NFL football and NCAA basketball, including concerts, national conventions, trade shows, IHSAA tournaments, international and national band competitions, and numerous other national and local amateur sports events. The seven-level stadium has more backstage space than any other NFL stadium with seven locker rooms, 11 indoor truck docks, 44,000 square feet of exhibit space and 12 meeting rooms. Weather permitting, the north operable window combines with the largest retractable roof in the NFL to truly give the spectator the feeling of being at an outdoor stadium. Tradeshows and conventions can utilize 183,000 square feet of exhibit space when merging the field and both exhibit halls.

sanchopanza
Metrodome

Postby sanchopanza » September 3rd, 2012, 5:26 pm

Did anybody see Notre Dame vs Navy in Dublin Saturday? The game was played in Aviva stadium. My wife and kids all stated a separate times " Woah, where are they playing that game?". This is the type of stadium Mpls needs.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » September 3rd, 2012, 5:48 pm

When i first heard they were going to model the new stadium after lucas oil, i freaked out. However, after a little reading, i discovered that they want to model the experience fans have at lucas oil stadium... not exactly the architecture... Thank God.

Here's to hoping for (post) modern, clean, and simple.

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » September 3rd, 2012, 6:11 pm

Have you ever seen the Metrodome's configuration for basketball? Have you ever seen Lucas Oil's configuration for basketball? That's what the comparison is all about. The concept of a multipurpose NFL stadium has changed, and Lucas Oil and Cowboys Stadium are the prime examples.

It's starting to feel like a broken record, but even regardless of that, the Vikings' renderings hardly resemble Lucas Oil Stadium in any meaningful way. The only renderings that have been reminiscent of LAS at all -- that I can remember -- have been the Farmer's Market drawings, which I don't think were created by the Vikings anyway.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » September 3rd, 2012, 8:49 pm

[quote="sanchopanza"]Did anybody see Notre Dame vs Navy in Dublin Saturday? The game was played in Aviva stadium. My wife and kids all stated a separate times " Woah, where are they playing that game?". This is the type of stadium Mpls needs.[quote="sanchopanza"]

Exactly! It is highly acclaimed for its striking architecture and environmentally friendly "green"design. BTW, the architectural firm of Populous was the co-architect of this stadium. I really hope they get to design our new stadium. Hear is a photo of the exterior: