Soo Line Building Apartments - (501 Marquette Avenue)

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
MNdible
is great.

Re: Soo Line Building Apartments - (501 Marquette Avenue)

Postby MNdible » September 19th, 2013, 9:13 pm

I wonder if I could talk the Kleins into putting a real, authentic German/Turkish Doner Kebab place at skyway level.
You just made my head explode.

PhilmerPhil

Postby PhilmerPhil » September 19th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Only if they'd also have currywurst.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » September 20th, 2013, 6:40 am

midwestsouth -

The Soo Line is right on the LRT line, so you would have easy access to a lot of different places. I just looked at their website and it sounds like it will be ready for occupancy in about three weeks. It looks like there's still some exterior work left to do. The quarter block immediately adjacent to it is a plaza for the Canadian Pacific building, so there's a fair amount of open space around it considering it's right in the center of downtown. It's really a lovely old building that will have great amenities. If I were looking for an apartment (and could afford it) I would move there in a heartbeat.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 20th, 2013, 8:54 am

Only if they'd also have currywurst.
OK, forget the Klein's. Let's do this ourselves. UrbanMSP Berliner Foodtruck. We'll find a lovely multi-way boulevard to park it on.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 21st, 2013, 10:45 am

The main front of the building faces towards north so there are really no south facing apartments. Very close to the light rail station, on the skyway network, has a roof top area for sun and fun. You have restaurants to the east, south and west of the building. Most are an easy walk away, or a short cab ride. I really doubt you will be disappointed by the building or location.

BTW an early welcome to the city.

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » September 22nd, 2013, 5:28 pm

IMG_4504 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr

IMG_4505 by UrbanMSP, on Flickr
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

urbandweller2003
Block E

Postby urbandweller2003 » October 3rd, 2013, 2:57 pm

First occupants are moving into Soo Line this weekend.

MN_RE
Block E

Postby MN_RE » October 3rd, 2013, 8:35 pm

The looks great. Nice to see Class C office space converted to a better use while preserving the architecture. I am excited for 400+ (estimate) new residents hitting the streets in this part of downtown as well as street-level windows lit up at night with activity in the restaurant.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » October 3rd, 2013, 9:22 pm

I wish so much that if we relocated back to the Twin Cities that my wife would give this building serious consideration, because it - is - awesome!

bapster2006
Foshay Tower

Postby bapster2006 » October 6th, 2013, 1:59 pm

Here is a view showing the whole building.

Soo Line 10-5-13 by bapster2006, on Flickr

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 18th, 2013, 9:19 am

Have not been in the north end of the core for a month or so. Can anyone tell me the status of the skyway thru the Soo Line Building? I was under the impression that it would be open by September, but have not been in the gerbil tubes since early August.
Also have tenants started moving into this building yet. I thought I read something that by end of September they would have tenants in the building. I really need a day downtown to catch up on what is happening and how things are progressing.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » October 18th, 2013, 9:24 am

The skyway is open. Not sure about residents.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 18th, 2013, 9:35 am

The skyway is open. Not sure about residents.
Noted for the next time I'm downtown on an acclimated day and in need of a running of the gerbil tubes!

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » October 18th, 2013, 9:58 am

I have a friend who has already moved in...I don't think too many have yet though. Can't wait to see it.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » October 21st, 2013, 4:16 pm

Today I walked thought the lobby and skyway of the Soo Line. I personally was disappointed in the design. While the curved staircase between the ground and skyway levels are a great idea, The stark white and gray clash with the rest of the older building. This interior looks like it belongs in a 50' or 60's international style building. The cold in my opinion Aluminum and glass walls is not a very good fit for this building.

In a building that is 50 years old or newer this would have been a great update. But for a building that is nearly 100 years old it just does not fit the building. Again this is my opinion, others may see things differently.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » October 21st, 2013, 4:23 pm

^ I also walked through last week, and agree with everything you said.

Having the exterior restored is well worth a mediocre interior though, no question in my book. So great to have the arched windows back on this beauty.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » October 21st, 2013, 4:47 pm

In a building where the historic exterior is still somewhat extant, or buried but retrievable, I'd agree that a faithful restoration should at least be considered (even if the costs are frightening). Where there's nothing left of it, I'm really not sure that trying to create something vaguely historic out of whole cloth is really the right approach. An interior that's clearly different / modern is often a better solution.

[That said, I'm really not sure what the situation was with this building.]

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » October 21st, 2013, 6:05 pm

Portions of the ceiling and glass was still in place. I'm not sure if any documentation was done during renovation because it wouldn't have been required.
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

MplsSteve
Nicollet Mall

Postby MplsSteve » October 21st, 2013, 9:20 pm

My father was the building superintendent there for many years, so I know quite a bit about that building. The building was completely remodeled in the early 1960's after First National Bank moved out. The lower floors were completely gutted and virtually all of the historic interior details were removed at that time. Really the only parts to survive intact were the stairwells. Anything else was only a random fragment here and there. It was really a shame. I completely agree that the new interior is a disappointment. It seems like a very trendy and cliched design that will look completely dated in about a decade. I would have loved to see a design that was more in keeping with the building's age and style, but I'm just thankful that it survived at all and that they did a good job on the facade.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » October 22nd, 2013, 8:27 am

Compared to the original bank lobby, yeah, it's disappointing, but it's 10,000% better than what we had before.

I thought there was a glass ceiling at the top of the atrium, but I must be mistaken. Could have swore there was something in the site plan about it.