Western Container Building/Arctic Cat HQ - 500 3rd Street N

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
dbaur31
City Center

Re: Western Container Building - 500 3rd Street North

Postby dbaur31 » June 3rd, 2015, 9:01 am

Someone must have heard folks grumbling. It may not be much, but there's a sandblasting company doing...something at the site right now.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » June 3rd, 2015, 9:08 am

Someone must have heard folks grumbling. It may not be much, but there's a sandblasting company doing...something at the site right now.
I guess that might help explain the lack of windows if they have not sandblasted it yet. We can hope that was the missing part that needed to get done first so now thing can move forward for the rest of the year!!

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 8th, 2015, 5:39 pm

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » August 11th, 2015, 12:55 pm

Looks like Ned Abdul has checked out of this project to focus on the Armory. Thanks for nothing. City should leverage hefty penalties for not finishing construction.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 11th, 2015, 1:40 pm

I see work lights and a dumpster, and that plastic in the windows was clearly cut by contractors. Step away from the ledge...
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

ztr421
Nicollet Mall

Postby ztr421 » August 11th, 2015, 2:11 pm

The lights are on 24/7 - likely as a security measure. Some of the plywood on the 5th Ave side looks like it's been pried open.

I will say that the stuff in the dumpster seems to change, but I'm not home during the day to see if it's actually be switched out. Sometimes it's clear that random neighborhood stuff is being dumped there (a mattress, for example).

I took this picture through an opening in the plywood a few week ago.

ImageInside the Western Container building by Mostly Zeke with Lots of Alex, on Flickr

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » August 14th, 2015, 5:45 pm

I'm off the ledge seanrichard, nothing's happened here but vandalism and random tags in the last year.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » August 14th, 2015, 5:56 pm

Nothing gets developers more excited about developing in the city more than fining them for having to put a project on hold!

5th Ave Guy
Landmark Center

Postby 5th Ave Guy » August 17th, 2015, 8:24 am

The wide doors opening towards Cuzzy's parking lot were wide open this morning and someone was going in and out. Not sure what was going on though. Like others, I'm not around during the day to see if anything is happening.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » August 17th, 2015, 1:10 pm

The wide doors opening towards Cuzzy's parking lot were wide open this morning and someone was going in and out. Not sure what was going on though. Like others, I'm not around during the day to see if anything is happening.
Went by over lunch. There seemed to be back-up beeping coming from some sort of equipment operating in the basement, and there was a dumpster full of dirt/debris that appeared to have been excavated from down there. So, work happening, but not with a very big team.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » August 24th, 2015, 2:57 pm

I rode by here earlier today and it sounds like there is some work going on. Saw one guy outside with the doors to the basement open working with a bobcat, and heard a bunch of pipe-clanging type noise on the upper floors. So...some things going on. But similar to amiller92, I doubt it was a big crew.

jet777
Nicollet Mall

Postby jet777 » September 8th, 2015, 10:58 am

Looks like I panicked too soon. I guess a new artic cat headquarters would explain the buildout delay. Wow, that is a big win for the neighborhood. The renderings are really funny in today's biz journal because they're basically the same ones but now with a little artic cat logo banner on the side.

mamundsen
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mamundsen » September 8th, 2015, 11:00 am

That is great news for the North Loop!!!

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/new ... north.html

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » September 8th, 2015, 11:03 am

Yep, this is a great get for the neighborhood, and probably a better use for this building than residential anyway.

I wonder how full the Designers Guild parking ramp typically is -- seems like it would be a logical location for these employees to park.

amiller92
Wells Fargo Center

Postby amiller92 » September 8th, 2015, 1:00 pm

Yep, this is a great get for the neighborhood, and probably a better use for this building than residential anyway.

I wonder how full the Designers Guild parking ramp typically is -- seems like it would be a logical location for these employees to park.
Hopefully they all walk, bike or take transit instead! (only sorta joking)

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 8th, 2015, 1:11 pm

I'd guess damn near 100%, given the job growth in the neighborhood and lack of other options really nearby. Target Field Station underground parking is probably the next most convenient. I assume monthly contracts are available there, though that future office or hotel development on the corner pad site will probably consume a good share of that parking. (Unfortunately) there's still a metric asston of surface parking further up 3rd St from this site.

This site is (obviously) extremely well served by the LRT system (including Blue & Green extensions) and Northstar. A bit of a hike for those coming on express buses.

acs
Wells Fargo Center

Postby acs » September 8th, 2015, 6:04 pm

That is great news for the North Loop!!!

http://m.bizjournals.com/twincities/new ... north.html
Yes great for the North Loop and way better than Plymouth. However, part of me wishes the company would move back to it's roots in Northwest Minnesota. 200 salaried jobs is good for downtown Minneapolis, but it would be huge for a place like, say, Bemidji.

Also, take these projections of growth with a hefty grain of salt. This company is just not profitable right now and growth is a ways off. Polaris this isn't.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » September 8th, 2015, 6:16 pm

Well they still have a good amount of employees in Thief River Falls.

Arctic Cat is a much bigger name when it comes to snowmobile racing rather than casual riding. But I still see a lot of Cats when I'm riding in the winter. It's a big enough story to make the Associated Press. My dad worked with Polaris for 5 years so I've learned a lot about the industry overtime. Polaris used to focus largely on snowmobiles but then moved to ATV's to boost their image and then went back over to snowmobiles. We don't know the whole game plan of Arctic Cat.

VAStationDude
US Bank Plaza

Postby VAStationDude » September 8th, 2015, 6:58 pm

My wife worked for a manufacturer based in a small rural city in different Midwestern state. They maintained an office in the Twin Cities because finding competent lawyers, accountants, logistics experts and marketers was impossible in smaller headquarters city.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » September 8th, 2015, 7:19 pm

My wife worked for a manufacturer based in a small rural city in different Midwestern state. They maintained an office in the Twin Cities because finding competent lawyers, accountants, logistics experts and marketers was impossible in smaller headquarters city.
I would venture to say that you hit the nail on the head. Most of the support network will be in larger cities where those markets; specialized lawyers, accountants, and marketers thrive.