Latitude 45 - 301 Washington Avenue South

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Re: Mystery Washington Avenue Tower - (301 Washington Avenue

Postby nordeast homer » July 11th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Braun Intertec was drilling core samples on site this morning. This one seems to really be flying under the radar.

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 11th, 2013, 6:24 pm

hotel and residential...book it!
Told ya there'd be a hotel portion! So for those who seem to know more about this project, can you confirm/deny the more interesting aspect about this project: its height (20 floors)?

Archiapolis
US Bank Plaza

Postby Archiapolis » July 18th, 2013, 7:59 am

My take: The market in Mpls is ripe for a hotel (or three) and housing continues to be super-heated. It seems like housing alone for this site isn't feasible (big site/tricky site). Opus is doing a tall tower with rental housing close to this but that one has a different dynamic... the location is MUCH better for what Opus is building. I don't think the market exists for that kind of tower at 301 Washington. A "5 over 1" apartment in this location just won't work to fill the whole site and presents other problems. Washington Avenue was the subject of a Mayor's team study a few years back so infill is important to the city here. The Renaissance hotel is across the street and Aloft down the road...this is a great location for a hotel. We'll see...

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 18th, 2013, 9:40 am

With the possible convention Hotel and the new Hampton hotel on 9th, I'd say the market for hotel rooms is pretty much full at this time. Plus how many rooms going in at MOA?? I really don't see an undersized niche right now that a developer can make money on. We also have to remember that we have a Boutique Hotel in the Warehouse district in the works, (any word on that project)? There is also another apartment/hotel project on Washington that is closer to the Stadium which I think is a better fit. The 301 site would have to consist of at least two slender towers or we get the Riverwest wall which will make the depot skate rink never get any sunlight into it. Would a Hotel work for a shorter tower with the taller for residential, YES. But I find it hard to market for investors at this time.
Last edited by Wedgeguy on July 19th, 2013, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » July 18th, 2013, 11:20 pm

One in Uptown would be nice too.

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » July 19th, 2013, 5:21 am

If it is indeed residential or hotel, I would think we're looking at full-site enclosed parking with a tower on 1/3 to 1/2 of that rather than two towers or one long tower. That's pretty much the de facto for highrise residential these days everywhere in the US except New York.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » July 19th, 2013, 10:12 am

One in Uptown would be nice too.
I've heard this a lot but I don't understand the market for it. Who would stay in a hotel in Uptown? Sure, there's some cool stuff around but it's a bit of a trek to the convention center and CBD, it isn't near the airport and there are few if any major corporate campuses nearby.

Would it be strictly a tourist thing? What would tourists see in Uptown they could not see in hundreds of other places?

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 19th, 2013, 10:31 am

When people come to spend a weekend they want to be where the life is!! Close to 1000 new apartment units being built, most with less than two bedroom, so where are their guest supposed to stay close by? They have a VERY few guest rooms for visitors in apartment buildings. Not everyone can have them at the same time. We have Office going into Mosaic two to compliment Mosaic one. There will be an increase in the next few years of office space as hip companies will want to be in the best nightlife area so they can show that they are different than a typical suburban company. It does not have to be a huge hotel with a lot of meeting space, that market is over saturated right now! A suite style for extended stay customers I think would be a great fit!

Sorry to get off the topic here, but I just wanted to answer a question. Take any other issues with Uptown hotels and go to Uptown for more discussion. Thanks
Last edited by Wedgeguy on July 19th, 2013, 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

mister.shoes
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mister.shoes » July 19th, 2013, 10:31 am

I would guess primarily tourists who want to base of activity to be in a hipper, younger district of the city instead of the CBD or airport. Akin to staying in Greenwich Village instead of Times Square.

Also, there are a lot of young people in Uptown who might not have room in their smaller apartments for their parents to stay with them if/when they come to visit from out of state.

Obviously, both are small markets. But a small hotel would fill that market.
The problem with being an introvert online is that no one knows you're just hanging out and listening.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 19th, 2013, 10:36 am

Honestly I think a small-but-not-boutique hotel in Uptown or Lyn-Lake could do okay. Keep in mind a few things:
- Business travelers often book through corporate travel sites. They have some options and they value the same things people do when choosing a neighborhood. Even moreso when they are in a different city. They want convenience but they also want to be able to do things that don't involve room service at a Marriott on the 494 strip.
- Many business travelers are in one location week after week. They get to know an area. I'm familiar with a not-to-be-disclosed corporate campus in South Minneapolis where we had contractors coming in weekly from all over the country. Many of them stayed at the midtown Sheraton because they wanted to be close, and they'd definitely go to Uptown or other areas after work. I became equally familiar with other cool non-CBD areas in three other American cities, and I would choose my hotels accordingly.

I'm going to see if I can find the Uptown hotel thread and move this over, and replace with a link. In the meantime, it's here.

woofner
Wells Fargo Center

Postby woofner » July 25th, 2013, 10:58 am

Did anyone catch this item on the agenda of the 8/1 Planning Commission CoW meeting:
4. 301 Washington Avenue S (Discussion)

Construction of a 13-story mixed use building with two ground floor commercial spaces and 320 dwelling units.
A hair under 20 stories, but I'll take it. No hotel at this point, it seems.
"Who rescued whom!"

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 25th, 2013, 11:26 am

Sounds promising. And it won't be stick built!

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » July 25th, 2013, 1:13 pm

link to pdf in the agenda. There is a spot that say's "future hotel" on the map

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups ... 111915.pdf

Andrew_F
Rice Park

Postby Andrew_F » July 25th, 2013, 1:41 pm

Looks great! Best part-- 30% two-bedrooms!

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 25th, 2013, 1:48 pm

The best parts I've seen so far:
A) Will use the Gateway Ramp next door to "provide resident parking without the need for constructing a conventional ratio of parking within the Project"

B) Widened public sidewalk on all three streets

C) Public skyway access on 3rd Ave S, seperate from secured resident access to building.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 25th, 2013, 1:56 pm

That is a damn fine looking building. Lots of brick, and the corner on Washington and 3rd with the antenna/ spire is fantastic. Interesting that it appears the current skyway will stay in place, and merely be connected to the structure. Looks like Alatus is developing.
Last edited by lordmoke on July 25th, 2013, 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 25th, 2013, 1:58 pm

Very good urban infill project. Facade looks well articulated and good quality. Could be a little less bulky with some change to the massing, especially at the upper levels. ESG architects are using almost the same cantilevered crown (at the one corner) that was axed from the original Nic on Fifth design! :lol: Looks good though. Also reminds me of some sort of gigantic version of the Neurology Headquarters. Mostly I'm happy with it , but I do wish we could see other architects work in this town once in awhile.

Konante
Nicollet Mall

Postby Konante » July 25th, 2013, 2:00 pm

This is a fantastic mid-rise. The inspiration pictures/ideas in the appendix and the resulting focus on the streetscape is great to see.

MNdible
is great.

Postby MNdible » July 25th, 2013, 2:07 pm

Yeah, my first reaction is that this looks like a very strong project.

I'm a bit skeptical of the "urban port cochere woonerf" -- skeptical that it will work well from a functional perspective, and skeptical that it's at all necessary to have a car drop-off from Washington.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 25th, 2013, 2:18 pm

Anyone else catch that the Washington Boulevard highlight map on page 20 has a marker pointing to a "Marriott hotel/ mixed use" at the location of the Sherman hotel/ apartment project? I'm guessing it's a misplaced label for The Depot, but who knows.