Latitude 45 - 301 Washington Avenue South

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Re: Mystery Washington Avenue Tower - (301 Washington Avenue

Postby min-chi-cbus » July 26th, 2013, 1:01 pm

I agree with Wedgeguy about the sunlight being blocked at the Depot Rink. I went there only ONCE but I loved how bright and sunny it was in there during winter time while skating in a temperature-controlled environment in the middle of Jan/Feb. I'm not saying let's block this building though, but if they could skew the design in such a way as to minimize any potential shadow effects on the Depot I think it would go a long way. I agree that a slender tower on a podium makes sense here (for once).

gpete
Union Depot

Postby gpete » July 26th, 2013, 1:26 pm

Careful, you might be providing fodder for the "Save Washington Ave Parking Lots" group that is probably forming somewhere...

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » July 26th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Is this really a big deal? I'd bet a building on the gateway ramp block would have a bigger impact on sunlight at the depot rink.
Towns!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 26th, 2013, 1:49 pm

Only in the morning will the ramp affect the rink as the suns rays are on the lower rise. This is on the block directly across from glassed in portion of the train shed. This block will after midmorning to midafternoon sunlight during the winter due to the suns angle. This is another block long wall Like River west. They city will love this even when it takes away one of the winter draws to the city.

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 26th, 2013, 2:41 pm

Also the sun sets at 4 or 5 PM in the winter when this is in use most of the time anyway.

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » July 27th, 2013, 4:24 am

I really like how this project treats the sidewalk.

gahwi003
Metrodome

Postby gahwi003 » July 27th, 2013, 5:25 pm

how so?

helsinki
Landmark Center

Postby helsinki » July 28th, 2013, 4:30 am

how so?
Widening the Washington Avenue sidewalk by 9 feet, widening the 3rd and 4th Avenue sidewalks by 3-4 feet; trees, planters, seating, and new street lights. It is the anti-Bridgewater (narrow sidewalk, dead on arrival saplings, etc.).

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 28th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Do people skate at the Depot during the day? I thought it was usually a nighttime thing.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 29th, 2013, 2:24 pm

From the Business Journal, not really anything new:
http://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/b ... depot.html

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 29th, 2013, 4:19 pm

Do people skate at the Depot during the day? I thought it was usually a nighttime thing.
YEs in the winter there is an afternoon skate. They also us that space when the ice is gone as a ballroom.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Re: Alatus Apartment Tower - (301 Washington Avenue South)

Postby m b p » August 5th, 2013, 5:01 am

Here's a 'more advanced' model for google earth. I still don't know exact heights. Has anyone heard anything? I have the roof of the building just shy of 160 feet... the spire rising to 197 feet. I noticed that the floor plans they released don't exactly match the pictures they released. My model is based off of the floor plans.
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... fee25a7f45

The new ryan project is on the left. 301 washington is the red building. 4 marq is the white building just to the right and further back of 301 washington. Nic on 5th is behind 4 marq and not visible from this angle.

Gregory

Postby Gregory » August 5th, 2013, 9:10 am

Here's a 'more advanced' model for google earth. I still don't know exact heights. Has anyone heard anything? I have the roof of the building just shy of 160 feet... the spire rising to 197 feet. I noticed that the floor plans they released don't exactly match the pictures they released. My model is based off of the floor plans.

The new ryan project is on the left. 301 washington is the red building. 4 marq is the white building just to the right and further back of 301 washington. Nic on 5th is behind 4 marq and not visible from this angle.
thanks. Always appreciate your work!

Gregory

Postby Gregory » August 5th, 2013, 9:12 am

What's the black building accross from it?

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » August 5th, 2013, 9:55 am

thanks. Always appreciate your work!
you bet
What's the black building accross from it?
The Federal Courthouse is the building between 301 washington and city hall... if that's the one you're asking about.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 5th, 2013, 12:50 pm

looks like the Ryan project is Riverwest x2 :shock:
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » August 5th, 2013, 4:23 pm

I think it will be different... first of all, not crappy 80s architecture. Second, it is not a fortress behind a giant parking lot. Finally, it will actually front a nice street (future boulevard?) where this style of building fits just as well as a podium/tower arrangement.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 5th, 2013, 6:02 pm

I think it will be different... first of all, not crappy 80s architecture. Second, it is not a fortress behind a giant parking lot. Finally, it will actually front a nice street (future boulevard?) where this style of building fits just as well as a podium/tower arrangement.
Definitely agree!

Tyler
Foshay Tower

Postby Tyler » August 5th, 2013, 7:02 pm

He's talking about the Ryan buildings.
Towns!

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 6th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Definitely agree!
Hulking block long buildings are not good urban faces. While Wells Fargo (tower) is a block long. it has texture and verticality that helps to make it pleasant to the urban scape. Great street presence too. The Ryan Projects have some setbacks that help soften the canyon. The Apartment building does nothing that I've seen to make That happen from what I've seen. Sorry this is a higher version of 222. Bulk with no character.