Latitude 45 - 301 Washington Avenue South

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nordeast homer
US Bank Plaza

Re: Mystery Washington Avenue Tower - (301 Washington Avenue

Postby nordeast homer » July 25th, 2013, 2:22 pm

So, am I to gather that this is an Alatus project? If so, any odds on whether this will get developed before the turn of the century?

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 25th, 2013, 2:47 pm

I agree that this looks fantastic. While initially bummed about the forever skyway remaining in place rather than being integrated, it actually runs right above the alley. I wonder who owns it? I thought skyways in Minneapolis were mostly privately-owned (compare to publicly-owned system in St. Paul). I'd guess it belongs to the Gateway Ramp.

The addition of more retail space to Washington Ave in the heart of the CBD is exciting.

I did notice an error on one sheet though...they are stil showing 3 westbound travel lanes on Washington ;)

First person who complains about it not being 20 stories as rumored gets banned!
Last edited by twincitizen on July 25th, 2013, 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 25th, 2013, 2:57 pm

If only we could have a block long woonerf and reduce eastbound Washington to two 10' lanes on this block.

mattaudio
Stone Arch Bridge

Postby mattaudio » July 25th, 2013, 2:58 pm

Does the Alatus website imply they have development rights for the Gateway ramp as well?

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » July 25th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Alatus owns the whole ramp. They bought several downtown parking structures from the city a few years ago. The only other ones I can think of off the top of my head are the Seven Corners ramp and the Metrodome LRT ramp.

Gman12
Nicollet Mall

Postby Gman12 » July 25th, 2013, 3:38 pm

This is great for this area of Washington. This parking lot was such an ugly empty hole. I don't care that it isn't 20 stories, its still a huge improvement. The more infill the better, then possibly we'll see taller buildings if the demand keeps up and there's no place to go but up!

mullen
Foshay Tower

Postby mullen » July 25th, 2013, 3:57 pm

nice....another surface parking lot bites the dust. i love these planning commission docs.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 25th, 2013, 4:23 pm

Honestly, I'm mostly psyched that it's more than six stories. I'm sick to death of six story stick structures. Or SSSSs, if you will.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

Nick
Capella Tower

Postby Nick » July 25th, 2013, 4:26 pm

The developer was also wrong in the rumor I heard, but didn't post that part. But at least a rumor was true(ish)! I wonder if this building will be tall enough to show up in skyline photos from the Stone Arch? I'm thinking...just barely.

http://scapephotography.com/wp-content/ ... e-Arch.jpg
Nick Magrino
[email protected]

Didier
Capella Tower

Postby Didier » July 25th, 2013, 4:49 pm

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » July 25th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Is it just me, or does it look just like a slightly more thought out version of the Hampton Inn? Should make a big difference for this stretch of Washington! Very exciting.

With more population, and a re-do of Washington, maybe the Depot could add some retail fronts to the open air/parking area...

FISHMANPET
IDS Center

Postby FISHMANPET » July 25th, 2013, 5:41 pm

If nothing else, I'd love if they'd open up the doors on the south side of the building to the street.

RailBaronYarr
Capella Tower

Postby RailBaronYarr » July 25th, 2013, 6:19 pm

The open area used as parking could be converted to flexible space on the cheap, right now. Cut out a few sections of the metal fence, add some stairs leading up from the sidewalk, and you've instantly activated that space. I remain disappointed at the Washington re-do given what we're seeing going up along it, it could be so much better...

mnmike
Wells Fargo Center

Postby mnmike » July 25th, 2013, 6:45 pm

Nice project...

And still he does nothing with Block E.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » July 25th, 2013, 8:55 pm

I made a quick google earth model... so you can see what it looks like from the bridge nick... but... the full editor, to post pictures, isn't working. Here's the link to the sketchup model:

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 5&result=4

You can cruise around in google earth and look at it from the bridge. I made the model 160.' I'm not sure of the true height.

minnyapple
Nicollet Mall

Postby minnyapple » July 25th, 2013, 10:06 pm

Not much new info. Just confirmation from Finance and Commerce website. The article is locked since i'm not a subscriber but here you go. http://finance-commerce.com/2013/07/ala ... town-east/

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 25th, 2013, 10:55 pm

I myself would have preferred a 3 story podium with tall slender tower on each end. With the pool and outdoor deck on the 3rd floor roof. THis is another version of river west that will block out all sunlight to the depots skating rink in the winter and probably a good portion of the spring and fall also. IMO

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » July 25th, 2013, 11:03 pm

All the right elements are there, but the design is still uninspired. A tall version of Elan?
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » July 26th, 2013, 12:35 am

Wedgeguy, I think it looks much better than Riverwest. The only thing that I would change is the roofline. It's too uniform in height. The two components of the complex going east need to have some variation in height and maybe some set-backs. The third component with the spire is fine and looks great at the intersection of Washington and 3rd. Sean, the problem is ESG has such a similar design approach to every project they do. They always look fairly good and work well financially for the developer, but they have no sense of being distinct or unique.

spearson
Landmark Center

Postby spearson » July 26th, 2013, 9:10 am

It's hard for me to judge the height of this building based on the renderings, it looks pretty squat. I wonder how it compares to the 10-12 story Grain and Flour Exchange buildings just a block away? If it's anything close to those, this building is going to add some nice heft to washington ave!

On an unrelated side note on the Flour Exchange, if you're feeling adventurous, find your way to the 12th floor of the Flour Exchange (during normal weekday business hours as the elevators don't require key cards during this time) and you'll find a neat little gem of a room (it's not spectacular, but neat). It's not a normal leased floor, it's like a little museum.