TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
nBode
Union Depot

Re: TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Postby nBode » February 21st, 2015, 2:04 pm

^Yeah, Perkins + Will is the architect for Duval's tower.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » February 21st, 2015, 2:29 pm

From Franklin teleconfrence
Moving on to development in our 801 Marquette Avenue South Side, as opposed to our adjacent tower at 121 South 8th Street. At 801 Marquette Avenue South, we are currently contemplating two development scenarios, one an office-only development and two a larger mixed use development that would contain or could contain, hotel, office, and residential components or some combination thereof.

FSP reports growing interest in the site at this time. The interest is coming from prospective office customers; our leasing team from CB Richard Ellis is tracking approximately 1.9 million square feet of active office prospects in the market that could be a potential fit for the new development at our site.

Interest is also coming from prospective and premier hotel groups. FSP has through CB Richard Ellis been engaged in active discussions with hotel groups, interested in 250 to 300 rooms four star full-service hotels on our site.

Interest is also coming from prospective and premier residential groups, FSP has met with several premium residential developers who have significant interest in building between 220 and 250 rentals or condos on our site and strong experience makes these developments.

So where are we now? Our studies have shown that approximately 200,000 square feet of office would best serve the demand that we see in the marketplace. This could fluctuate upwards that seems about right at this time. We have begun discussions with one specific tenant interested in approximately 100,000 or half of the 200,000 square feet of contemplated space.

It is still too early to tell whether or not this discussion will lead to a positive conclusion and so we are unwilling to speculate beyond that we are encouraged by the interest. Our work with our development team at Ryan Properties and Perkins and Will have indicated that depending on which scenario is selected costs could approximately roughly $325 to roughly $400 per square foot in total cost for the office portion to FSP or approximately $65 million to $80 million in very rough numbers. These are still preliminary and so please expect variance.

More` specifically, this breaks down to roughly $325 per square foot or $65 million for our new six to eight storey Class Double A building that utilizes some aspects of the existing structure and is without any associated mixed use components.

Or in the alternative approximately $80 million or $400 per square foot for approximately 10 storeys of office within a potential 45 storey mixed use development that would contain or could contain a four star full-service hotel at the base of approximately 200,000 square feet of Class Double A office space in the middle and 220 to 250 residential units in the top.

Under the mixed use scenario, FSP would likely only invest into and own the office portion of the tower and respective hotel and residential groups would owned and fund their respective portions of the tower. Although the high rise mix use scenario would represent a higher total cost per square foot in the low rise office-only project, it is likely that FSP would receive cash and/or construction credits from its co-developer partners for the air rights/land contribution from FSP. Such credits would serve to adjust the $400 per square foot estimated cost to FSP downward.

Additionally, a high rise mixed use project with office would also command a higher rental rate in return for superior use from the high and superior amenities. Conversations develop further. Now at this time, I’d like to turn the call over to Janet Notopoulos, our President of Asset and Property Management to discuss leasing.
http://seekingalpha.com/article/2927486 ... ipt?page=6
Meet me in Wells

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 21st, 2015, 3:01 pm

Hmm. 20ksf floor plates. That explains how they'll fit all that in 45 levels. Cool.

Unless, of course, they go with an office midrise instead.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » February 22nd, 2015, 1:51 pm

Is there any possibility that the tower portion of Duval's proposal for the Nicollet Hotel Block is the design used here? It's the same architect and It seems to have very similar proportions of the mix of uses: Office ~200K, ~250 Apts, and some hotels to put icing on the cake.

I know it's a long shot but everybody loves a conspiracy.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » February 22nd, 2015, 2:29 pm

With this proposal being 45 stories, and Duval's being 80 stories, I'm thinking probably not.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » February 22nd, 2015, 2:52 pm

The rendering was commissioned for Duval so the architects can't make it available to another client. That is not to say that an architecture firm doesn't have signature looks or can't create similar renderings. The original Cesar Pelli Norwest (Wells Fargo) design ended up (sort of) being built in Cleveland and in Charlotte... Min-chi-cbus - you are right though... the similarities are freaky.

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » April 29th, 2015, 8:29 am

No new updates on this from the Q1 report. They did say they've gotten very strong interest from multiple hotels around the world.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » April 29th, 2015, 3:17 pm

Yup still saying they have strong interest from residential, hotel, and Office. There is no way there is not going to be a hotel here, unless Franklin is incompetent.
Meet me in Wells

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 29th, 2015, 3:29 pm

Yup still saying they have strong interest from residential, hotel, and Office. There is no way there is not going to be a hotel here, unless Franklin is incompetent.
With the W next door in the Foshey, I find having two hotel butting each other some what overkill on a block. But if Franklin can make an Office/Hotel mixed use, I'd be much more impressed with it.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 29th, 2015, 5:08 pm

With the W next door in the Foshey, I find having two hotel butting each other some what overkill on a block. But if Franklin can make an Office/Hotel mixed use, I'd be much more impressed with it.
My guess is the hotel on the TCF block would be geared more towards business travelers. It certainly in a prime location almost at the center of the CBD. It would be connected to the same atrium and skyway access as W. 200+ rooms isn't too big. I think the market could handle it.
There was also some mention of housing developers interested in the residential component. Again 200 units or so is a relatively modest number for the market to absorb. Likely someone familiar or involved with downtown already.

Munch'n
Nicollet Mall

Postby Munch'n » April 29th, 2015, 5:13 pm

Cough* Cough* Magellan Cough*
Meet me in Wells

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » April 29th, 2015, 5:40 pm

Well at least on that block there is parking available in the TCF Ramp that is part of the block. LOL

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » April 29th, 2015, 6:24 pm

lol. Glad you could cough it up! Definitely possible.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » July 7th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Was reading today that TCF is planning to have all of their downtown employees out to Plymouth before Christmas. Not sure how many SF that will open up for vacancy rates. I think they are only a partial anchor and not the complete tower building.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » July 8th, 2015, 7:12 am

TCF only occupied maybe 2 or 3 of the 16-floor tower itself. I know there are fairly long leases currently in the tower portion, so I doubt that part of this complex is going anywhere. They also just updated the elevators in the skyway lobby, perhaps partially due to the fact that the lower, bank portion was slated to go away.

grrdanko
Landmark Center

Postby grrdanko » July 8th, 2015, 10:29 am

The tower was never part of the plan. They want to demolish the 4 story building and build a tower.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 8th, 2015, 10:45 am

^Exactly. That's why this thread is titled TCF Bank Building, and not TCF Tower

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 28th, 2015, 5:17 pm

Tomorrow is the Q2 report for FSP. And. I think this will be the time we get a full report of what's happening with the block. At least I hope it is. Heard plenty of rumors of the 6 story office being a smoke screen for he bigger project but who knows. The podcast for the report airs at 9 am CT.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » July 28th, 2015, 6:59 pm

Hope so. Recent posts of mine have made it clear that I know nothing about office building construction economics, but I find it hard to see how it can be worthwhile to tear down a four-story building in reasonable shape to replace it with only a six-story building.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » July 29th, 2015, 1:11 pm

I didn't see anything bout new developments in today's Quarterly report...