TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
m b p
Nicollet Mall

Re: TCF Bank Building Redevelopment

Postby m b p » July 31st, 2014, 9:00 pm

grant... you should upload it to the 3d warehouse... that way we can all view it in google earth. :)

I created a mock tower for that site recently as well. This is what, I imagine, 44 floors at 15 ft per floor and 600,000 sq ft could look like:

Download/view TCF Concept Model

Last edited by m b p on August 26th, 2014, 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Minneboy
US Bank Plaza

Postby Minneboy » July 31st, 2014, 9:35 pm

The turning tower is good but I'd like to see a more elaborate top.

m b p
Nicollet Mall

Postby m b p » July 31st, 2014, 10:09 pm

^ we all have opinions. I love simple form. No top! ;)

I was also trying mimic the simplistic form of the foshay. The foshay is an obelisk... a simple column. I tried to make a modern simple column..... focusing on it being a column and not what a column would support (a crown).

grant1simons2
IDS Center

Postby grant1simons2 » July 31st, 2014, 10:18 pm

https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/model. ... 1f523101dc

Here's mine redone. m b p I don't know how to position it right in google earth

kirby96
Union Depot

Postby kirby96 » August 1st, 2014, 12:37 am

Design criticism's aside, I think these angles show it can be done without overshadowing the Foshay. This is a great spot for a tall building.

Unity77
Landmark Center

Postby Unity77 » August 1st, 2014, 10:15 am

grant... you should upload it to the 3d warehouse... that way we can all view it in google earth. :)

I created a mock tower for that site recently as well. This is what, I imagine, 44 floors at 15 ft per floor and 600,000 sq ft could look like:

Yes!! Good work m b p.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 1st, 2014, 10:23 am

m b p, Nice work. The 44 story tower looks just about right for the site. Not too tall to completely overwhelm the Foshay, yet tall enough to have an impact on the skyline. At 44 stories it would be slender and elegant, but still have efficient elevator service. Scale and proportion are fantastic. I actually think your concept model may be somewhat similar to what gets proposed here by the developer.

seanrichardryan
IDS Center

Postby seanrichardryan » August 1st, 2014, 10:49 am

The first step to the planning commission is approval from John. :)
Q. What, what? A. In da butt.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 1st, 2014, 11:00 am

it's basically the turning torso, and I would have no problem with transplanting that from malmo to dtmpls.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » August 1st, 2014, 12:21 pm

Jag kan tala Svenska.

Nathan
Capella Tower

Postby Nathan » August 1st, 2014, 1:37 pm

Then I think you are not the only one on the forum, maybe they can send some swedish love to the spanish architect and we can add a little international flare to our skyline.

John
Capella Tower

Postby John » August 1st, 2014, 2:01 pm

^Perkins & Will are the architects for this project. They did a great job with Ackerberg's Mozaic phase 3, so I have optimism this will turn out well. My hope is they do something with flair but respects the Foshay. Our skyline could use some new blood.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » August 1st, 2014, 2:21 pm

I am surprised that I haven't anything about developing the half block parking lot on the block with the Young Quinlan Building... seems like it would be a logical lot to develop... anyone hear anything? I know that this would need a new section for it...

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » August 1st, 2014, 2:43 pm

That would seem the most prime spot in the core CBD that is currently just surface parking. I'm kind of surprised that sites (including the TCF site) with existing buildings are in play, but this particular one has not been. Whatever happens, I hope they keep that alley open through to Nicollet. That could be made into a really interesting space.

Wedgeguy
Capella Tower

Postby Wedgeguy » August 1st, 2014, 2:49 pm

I am surprised that I haven't anything about developing the half block parking lot on the block with the Young Quinlan Building... seems like it would be a logical lot to develop... anyone hear anything? I know that this would need a new section for it...
That half block is on the table. But I think Hines still owns that property and is waiting to see what Target does with their DT needs. While it would be a great place for residential. I think they are waiting to see what cards Target is holding with their future needs and expansion once they get their house in order again. I also think that Hines sees the Target field property as their next project. The Marquette half block only becomes more valuable as other projects develop around it. That half block could be split into two section with Office in the north half closer to the core and the south half residential which allows for more south facing units and more sun into units. Doing a bridge over the alley with second and maybe 3rd floor connection would make a great use of that half block. But the market will eventually say what they feel is the best use of this half block.

I hope that they do something like the spiral on the old TCF block. But they need to better integrate the old TCF tower, the Foshey, and and the new tower than that hapless interior court that is there now. Work to get the street and skyway levels to work together.

David Greene
IDS Center

Postby David Greene » August 1st, 2014, 9:03 pm

Whatever happens, I hope they keep that alley open through to Nicollet.
And the old Schmitt's mural.

TroyGBiv
US Bank Plaza

Postby TroyGBiv » August 1st, 2014, 9:48 pm

Wedgeguy - that makes a lot of sense - it does seem like it is a parcel lying low until the market value hits a high point.

twinkess
Target Field

Postby twinkess » August 2nd, 2014, 9:14 am

They remodeled the elevator lobby on skyway level. Moved the entrance to Sew What! and the temporary construction walls came down yesterday to reveal this:

https://i.imgur.com/gPeUCoG.jpg

nickmgray
Union Depot

Postby nickmgray » August 3rd, 2014, 5:52 am

Nice. I'll have to walk through the building on Monday to take a look. I'm sure the plans for this little internal redevelopment have been in the works for quite some time. The interior of the building has always been quite depressing.

HiawathaGuy
Wells Fargo Center

Postby HiawathaGuy » November 10th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Interesting... 175,000 to 600,000 Sq Ft., quite the range!

TCF Bank Building owner looks at hotel/office redevelopment for site