Loring Park Neighborhood

Downtown - North Loop - Mill District - Elliot Park - Loring Park
PhilmerPhil

Re: Loring Park Neighborhood

Postby PhilmerPhil » January 26th, 2016, 10:24 pm

What's wrong with the existing units? They're getting filled. Or are they just not getting filled by the right types of people?

TommyT
Target Field

Postby TommyT » January 26th, 2016, 10:26 pm

I don't think anything is wrong with them. I just know for me it would be nice to see more upgraded units at that sweet spot price point. I think for a lot of people 950/1000ish with utilities included isn't out of the question for a 1 br where as 1200-1400+ for the brand new buildings with all the bells and whistles is AND you pay all utilities is. IMHO.

bubzki2
Foshay Tower

Postby bubzki2 » January 27th, 2016, 8:56 am

I agree. There were very affordable units, with "character" (like my unit that was about 50 degrees in the winter), and then you have the VUEs and LPMs, which are rentals priced in the stratosphere. Some renovation on older buildings could make for a very nice compromise in that booming neighborhood.

trigonalmayhem

Postby trigonalmayhem » January 27th, 2016, 11:11 am

I get the impression from having viewed a ton of apartments in loring over the years that a lot of the buildings cut up larger units into oddly shaped smaller ones and half-assedly added a kitchen or bathroom to make it rentable. If they are interested in renovating these they should consider knocking out some of the non original walls and creating slightly bigger spaces. 300sqft with an unusable kitchen was cute when I was young and broke but if the goal is to get something between luxury and slum you probably need to fix that.

That said it does function as natural affordable housing, so how much do we really want to sacrifice when there's very little being added as it is.

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » July 15th, 2016, 1:38 pm

Well this could be fun:
http://www.startribune.com/loring-lore- ... 6525361/#2
James Lileks will give guided tours of Loring Park Neighborhood this summer

twincitizen

Postby twincitizen » September 13th, 2017, 11:37 am

CPM & partners selling 125 Oak Grove for 30% more than they paid a few years ago. Sale includes small parking lots (separate parcels) at 101 and 208 Oak Grove. I suppose it's feasible that either lot could be developed, but if CPM didn't jump at that opportunity (or opt to retain either lot for future development), the buyer may not develop them either. Both are fairly small lots ~0.3 acres and would be hard to develop anything significant (unless parking lite or parking-free)

http://finance-commerce.com/2017/09/cpm ... ents/?ep=1

CPM and this investment group they partnered up with in 2014 have been on a selling spree this year, profiting hand over fist

Anondson
IDS Center

Postby Anondson » September 13th, 2017, 4:42 pm

That parking lot at the corner of LaSalle has a big ol’ redevelopment bull’s eye on it.

lordmoke
Wells Fargo Center

Postby lordmoke » November 10th, 2017, 12:21 pm

Conversion of H. Alden Smith House (former MCTC offices) and adjacent empty space into 5 story, 89 unit apartment building:
http://minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/pub ... 206245.pdf

Bakken2016
Wells Fargo Center

Postby Bakken2016 » June 21st, 2018, 8:19 am

City of Minneapolis has installed Pride crosswalks at Yale Pl and Willow St, not sure if permanent or just for Pride.

Video:
https://twitter.com/mplstvguy/status/10 ... 1239164929

Tiller
Foshay Tower

Postby Tiller » June 23rd, 2018, 10:32 pm

They should keep it, small but nice placemaking like this is what we need!

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » June 24th, 2018, 4:49 pm

I actually think it would be nice to have every crosswalk to Loring Park be painted like that. At least, all the ones on the east side of the park, since that is somewhat of our city’s historic gay village. :-)

min-chi-cbus
Capella Tower

Postby min-chi-cbus » June 25th, 2018, 10:33 am

That’s cool, I’d also be in favor of keeping it that way. It gives the streets character! I could see something similar to that playing positively (with kids) around school zones (think: Reading Rainbow).

I wish it were our (Mpls’) idea but it seems like at least SF already does something like that. One possible caveat to this being fully implemented that I could see being a viable argument is that this coloration might not adhere to some strict MNDOT signage and driver/pedestrian safety guidelines and is not universally known/taught to everyday people. Aside from that, a smattering (~30%) of haters will bitch & moan but that alone wouldn’t derail such a concept I don’t think.

EOst
Capella Tower

Postby EOst » June 25th, 2018, 12:54 pm

The FHWA is very strongly against these, under the theory that drivers and pedestrians will become hopelessly confused by the shiny colors and carnage will ensue. I'm sure Mdcastle could elaborate here.

I assume that's why Minneapolis chose exclusively low-traffic city-owned streets to try it.

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » June 27th, 2018, 11:19 am

Philly has permanent rainbow crosswalks in a area of Center City that is colloquially referred to as “the Gayborhood.”

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 28th, 2018, 5:50 am

Each crosswalk to Loring Park could have a different flag’s colors: gay pride (rainbow), trans, bear, leather, …

How awesome would that be?

NickP
Target Field

Postby NickP » June 28th, 2018, 5:27 pm

I would definitely support that! However, I keep discovering new flags, so we may need an infinite number of crosswalks lol. Maybe a rotating system of flags?

Multimodal
US Bank Plaza

Postby Multimodal » June 29th, 2018, 1:35 pm

That would keep it interesting.

Oreos&Milk
Landmark Center

Postby Oreos&Milk » August 20th, 2019, 1:00 pm

Anybody know the details about the construction at Emerson Spanish Immersion school in Loring? There website mentions it's a gym, docks, and cafeteria expansion as a part of the school renovations. However any renderings, plans, long term development plans they are working on would be much appreciated if shared.

I kinda wonder if a underground level of parking with a blacktop playground (could be utilized as extra parking too) would be feasible during the day it be parking for teachers, at night be parking for the neighborhood say 50 bucks a month contract (7PM - 8AM only) Likely more problems than it be worth, but if it were able to be a revenue stream..

alexschief
Wells Fargo Center

Postby alexschief » March 19th, 2020, 7:51 am

The rehabilitation of the H. Alden Smith House and multi-family development in the empty lot behind it is back before the Planning Commission next week. (How are they going to have this meeting?)

The building aesthetics are identical since its approval in October 2018, but the program has been shuffled in all kinds of good ways. The project has gone from 87 units of housing to 125. It has gone from 76 spaces of car parking to 66. It has gone from 82 spaces of bicycle parking to 130. In other words, this project was previously aimed a bit higher in the market, and it's now targeted a bit lower. Many more people will be able to enjoy living near Loring Park and living car-free or car-light.

I think the reason these changes happened is because W+Noordijk seems to have brought Yellow Tree into their development team (the architect also appears to have changed from LHB to DJR). So mark this down as another entry into Yellow Tree's prolific and exciting formula of 50-150 units buildings with half as many parking spaces as units.

Silophant

Postby Silophant » April 13th, 2020, 3:54 pm

Turns out they're having it via Skype or Zoom or something. This passed on the consent agenda.
Joey Senkyr
[email protected]